Old 10-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
advice to new owner svp.

Hi guys,

We picked up a 2005 Classic 30 in Ohio two weeks ago and brought it home to Canada.

Only slept in it three night so far and it seems "just right! Really looking forward to an Arizona trip in Feb.

Anyway ..... I notices whitish deposits running down the skin that seem to come from aluminium castings for the awning. Some seem so superficial, you can rub them off with your finger, others seem more tenacious.

Is this typical? any solution? maybe waxing the aluminum awning brackets?

At the airstream factory, I bought Sikaflex, Acrylic-R, and Walbernize products to help look after our new toy. I'm hoping the Walbernize will remove the tougher marks without damaging the clearcoat. The trailer is not stored at my house so i haven't had chance to try it yet.

Any and all advice appreciated!

Cheers ...... Brian & Connie, Burlington Ont.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Welcome to the forums and good luck with your trip to Arizona (lucky stiffs) Hey we will save you a bit of snow for when you get back.

You might want to take a look at this thread....see if any of the photos look like what is going on with yours, hope not - hope it is just water marks.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html

Old 10-05-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Hi Peter & Sharon,

Thanks for the link to the corrosion thread.

I had seen that in doing my "due diligence research" (!) before deciding to buy a used Airstream - and did wonder if it was cause enough to give AS a miss.

Obviously I decided to gop ahead - hope I won't regret it!

What I am seeing is something quite different - just a whitish deposit running down the skin of the trailer (on top of the clearcoat) that is coming from the alum. brackets at the ends of the awning and runs vertically right down the side of the trailer - obviously carried down by rain.

For the most part it just seems to wipe right off, but in some places seems more tenacious - I will have a go at removing the tougher stains when I bring it to the house next time.

I don't think it is a big deal - more of an annoyance like black streaks on conventional white trailers! I just wondered if it is something everyone gets and if I could stop it maybe by waxing or coating the awning brackets.

Thanks ........... Brian.

PS - yes we are looking forward to Arizona with the A/S! We have been down there a half dozen times since I took early retirement ten years ago.

All previous trips were with our 27ft Award which we sold to get the AS.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
White chalky? - might be the beginnings of corrosion - just as you get a bit of orange streaking from parts that rust on the vintage units - don't see the rust yet but it is coming...not to be the pessimist.

So corrosion precaution might be the best treatment??

When do your "break" country to head for warmer climates?

Do you know of any "airstream" gathering spots down there? Might find some on the forum too not sure.

We have a ways to go yet before we will be retired - not too too long but still long enough and seems like an eternity every time the weather dips into the winter months...

Safe Traveling...

Keep posting your questions or pictures too...
Old 10-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Congrats on your new toy!

Without supplying foto's, I think you might be seeing a chalky runoff from the painted roof. The white painted roof can get a little chalky.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
Congrats on your new toy!

Without supplying foto's, I think you might be seeing a chalky runoff from the painted roof. The white painted roof can get a little chalky.

Michael
That's what I was thinking, too...the white roof run off can leave a chaulky looking residue...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
_

. , .
yeah, no photos makes this all a crap shoot...

but the white roof panels WILL bleed eventually, if not waxed/sealed occasionally....

since the awning has a rail, often the roof run-off streams at the ends where the awning brackets are.

see any of the many threads on this issue...

and the surface care for the newer clearcoated 'stream...

there are 100s of threads on this topic and some are even useful.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We normally stay at a 55+ RV resort in Tucson called Rincon Country West (they also have one called Rincon Country east).

Some friends of ours from Burlington Ont, who have a park model there introduced us to it.

Not cheap, but very nice and all the amenities you would want.

I have seen the occasional AS there.

As a new AS owner, i'm not really sure how I feel about AS only parks! I guess i'll have to try one and see!

We did pass one Called "Top of Georgia" near helen georgia a few weeks ago when returning an a motorcycle trip to Florida.

Cheers .......... Brian, Burlington Ont.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Now that sounds like a distinct possibility - I hadn't even thought about that! Sounds like a nicer problem to have than corrosion!

Brian
Old 10-06-2008, 06:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Sorry I had no pics! Next time I bring the trailer to the house I'll get some - being new to this forum, I'm not sure how to post pics yet but no doubt I'll figure it out.

The more i think about it, I expect you guys are correct and that what i am seeing is from the white paint.

I didn't even realize the top was white until I got the trailer home last week and went up to check out the caulking before taking the trailer to storage!

Brian.