Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
My Airstream was manufactured in 6/07 so its almost 9 years old and I've been asked several times at campgrounds if its a new model. It still has a nice shine. We love the hickory cabinetry and the Ultraleather cushions.

Kelvin
Old 05-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
I know, I know...........it's a man-made thing, it doesn't have a soul (or does it? ), it can leak, it needs maintenance and care, it isn't perfect, it will show it's age, it ought to come with no defects, etc., etc., etc............

However, in spending portions of the last two days cleaning and Walbernizing our Pete, our 2014 hand-crafted work of art, I am in love with Airstream all over again. I mean, come on, have you looked at the work these things took to build lately? Just the rivet lines around the window frames make me tired to think of the labor involved............

Whether they're 50 years old, 50 months old, or 50 hours old, man these things are so awesome! We're all SO blessed to be stewards of these creations for our enjoyment and that of the future owners...........

OK, I'll stop and go Walbernize the street side now........

Amen, brother.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
slpiotro - hang in there! I was so very sick last fall and it took all winter to recuperate. Honestly...what kept me going was knowing I would be buying my new Airstream after working on my old one for years and the fact that I would be out on the road again Having something to look forward to can help you heal.
One not so bad day of my life was the day I wrecked and totaled the Airstream and the truck. Why "not so bad"? Because two other people I knew only through the forums offered to LEND me their spare streams and 3 others offered to jump in their tow vehicles and help me salvage all my stuff.

So if you could enjoy your Airstream in your back yard (and the zoning people aren't averse) ask if someone will help you set it up. Of if your going to miss a rally you've enjoyed for years, there might be someone in your area who'd tow it there for you for fuel costs. How about a mini-rally in the yard ... everyone else can bring their "virtual airstreams" with pictures on the cell phones.

If you're really a month or two away from being able to get into the Airstream - well get a calendar and set a goal date - and keep us all informed about how you are progressing. Maybe we can have a "not really a rally rally" to celebrate your first weekend out of "house arrest".

(My business partner is using my Avion to recover from his triple bypass - he can do two steps but can't stay in a 3rd floor apartment... That was supposed to be just til the 11th of this month, but he's extended (for that and other reasons) to the 27th when there's no room in the park due to the holiday weekend. I'm starting to wonder if I'll need a crowbar to get him out.)

Paula
Old 05-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Airstream is very much a healer and mood enhancer. This thread is refreshing after the negative ones. We are really fond of ours...our 1st Airstream in 45 years of camping. Now to make time to hit the road.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #25
Stardust

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Seabrook , Texas
Well put!
nwdionne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre30 View Post
Many times other drivers have waved, given us the thumbs up, and even yelled to us to tell us how much they love our trailer.
Just last month, during our final shake down before our Yellowstone trip, we had a tween who was riding her bicycle tell us how much she like our Airstream. Ironically looking around at the park there weren't very many trailers, and those that were there at the state park definitely were not Airstreams. So both my wife and I were thankful and amused by the comment. All the same, made us smile that some kid on a bike took notice of the trailer. Something tells me she wasn't saying that to the owner's of the non-Airstream trailers.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We love our Airstream as well. Airstreams are back in the news and popular culture again so there is lots of interest in ours where ever we travel. I get a kick out Kelvin telling he was asked if his 2007 was new, sometimes we are asked if ours is restored, surprised to learn they still make them. The iconic image is timeless.

It's good to know the beautiful timeless design is also aerodynamic, low profile, and rides on fully independent suspension. Probably the easiest to tow, most stable travel trailer on the market.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Shiny, very well said. I might put off washing my Jeep but the Airstream seems to get daily attention. I get two questions asked everytime I hit the road. 1. Is it new? 2. Are they still making them?.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Jackson , Tennessee
Amen. Newbe here. Did our first "sea trials" at a TN State Park last weekend. After outgrowing tenting I did popup and loved it. Wife has wanted an AS forever so I gave in.
Why are women alway right? Love our AS 19' 2005 Safari Bambie
K3ors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Black Diamond , Washington
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	552.4 KB
ID:	262493
and this is why we love our Airstream...ready to go for our next adventure!
toothpull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
When I first towed our trailer, I got several thumbs up from passing cars. That continues today and I am sure you all experience it as well. Really cool to tow a bit of Americana.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:12 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
We love our AS due to the many potential possible places we can go with it and have our home with us.

And no matter how long or tiring my day is, I will always smile when I see one being towed down the highway and wonder what adventure awaits.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:04 AM   #33
Iron tepee #35

1993 34' Excella
andalusia , Illinois
Here am I floating round my tin can...

On the road again... for ten months now I have been away form home, living in my Avion while working 12 hour days. In another month I will finally pull up stakes and head for home. I'm not sure I could tolerate this kind of work if not for the comfort of my trusty partner the "Flamin' Twinky". We have had many adventures over the years and, no doubt will have many more... Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1127.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	262505  
mikeoxlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:56 PM   #34

Wetzikon , Zurich
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
I know, I know...........it's a man-made thing, it doesn't have a soul (or does it? ), it can leak, it needs maintenance and care, it isn't perfect, it will show it's age, it ought to come with no defects, etc., etc., etc............

However, in spending portions of the last two days cleaning and Walbernizing our Pete, our 2014 hand-crafted work of art, I am in love with Airstream all over again. I mean, come on, have you looked at the work these things took to build lately? Just the rivet lines around the window frames make me tired to think of the labor involved............

Whether they're 50 years old, 50 months old, or 50 hours old, man these things are so awesome! We're all SO blessed to be stewards of these creations for our enjoyment and that of the future owners...........

OK, I'll stop and go Walbernize the street side now........
Fully agree
We've been first time in a Airstream last day of 15 and it was like wow! We life in Europe and look forward to purchase one for second residence after my retirement. I've meet some full timer on recent coast to coast ride ( rental motor home)and was impressed how friendly and helpful airstreamers are! I m lifelong biker and it seems about the same spirit.
Pete/Zurich/Switzerland
Peterpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:47 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Kimberton , Pennsylvania
Airstream = integrity

'I didn’t want a trailer,” I recently told someone. “I wanted an Airstream."
BicenTw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:21 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Airstream: The Great Equalizer

Along those lines, I was having a bit of a contentious issue with a plumber where I work. It wasn't bad, but suffice it to say we were disagreeing on a job and how much it was going to cost. He came into my office to look at a timeline of the job he was working on with other contractors and he saw a wallpaper picture of our 2016 19' FC on one of my monitors. At once he started talking about how he loved Airstreams and wanted to get one for a side business he and his wife were starting. They wanted to travel around selling their products and he really loves the Eddie Bauer design where the rear end opens up but they were looking in the $15k range and he said it was hard to find even a gutted Airstream for that. So for now an SOB will have to suffice.

We talked for a while about my ambition to retire soon and boondock travel for long periods of time with my bride of 29 years and he said he and his new bride were wanting to do the same. He later sent me a link for a road trip that winds around the US and hits every national park in the lower 48. I found it interesting how just a picture of our Airstream Sylva completely changed a situation, a mood and a relationship.
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:36 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
My older teen boys think it's a cool trailer and that's really saying something ! Brings a smile to my face everyday

ATTACH]268861[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1470980156.835920.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	268861  
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote