Old 05-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Yesterday I sat in the Ambassador working on the disassembly of woodwork put together over 50 years ago. With each turn of the flathead screwdriver, dirt from distant voyages was released into the air.

Occasional, I would come across a button, book of matches, or maybe a pencil that rolled behind a cabinet. Each memento probably holds a story from the past owner. I find myself imagining the different exciting places that this trailer has visited.

I look forward to getting this one back on the road to deposit more journeys into the aluminum fabric of this trailer.

For me, this is Airstreaming.

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #16
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Dammit again!

AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I see you edited the post and changed Colorado to color.
How did you do that?
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:38 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2015 22' FB Sport
Indianapolis , Indiana
In Love

Well we have a new 22FB and have not taken it out yet, but I find myself going out back and sitting in it. Not love yet!!
Jim Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #19
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I'm using my wife's kindle. On the bottom of the post is an edit button. You can revisit your post and correct mistakes. It goes away in about 20 minutes.
On my iPod it is in a drop down menu and on my Tootle Nexus its a drop down in a different place.
Sorry for my illiterate sounding posts. I never proofread any more!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #20
2002 19' Bambi
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to elstunr
Well put and the thing we love is driving somewhere and passing another Airstream on the road. What a great trip any time we take Thumper out. Thanks for the reminder.
Our first trip of the year is next week. De-winterizing this weekend.

Ron & Michelle Elstun
Colorado Springs, Colorado
elstunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
My Airstream was manufactured in 6/07 so its almost 9 years old and I've been asked several times at campgrounds if its a new model. It still has a nice shine. We love the hickory cabinetry and the Ultraleather cushions.

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
I know, I's a man-made thing, it doesn't have a soul (or does it? ), it can leak, it needs maintenance and care, it isn't perfect, it will show it's age, it ought to come with no defects, etc., etc., etc............

However, in spending portions of the last two days cleaning and Walbernizing our Pete, our 2014 hand-crafted work of art, I am in love with Airstream all over again. I mean, come on, have you looked at the work these things took to build lately? Just the rivet lines around the window frames make me tired to think of the labor involved............

Whether they're 50 years old, 50 months old, or 50 hours old, man these things are so awesome! We're all SO blessed to be stewards of these creations for our enjoyment and that of the future owners...........

OK, I'll stop and go Walbernize the street side now........

Amen, brother.

Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
slpiotro - hang in there! I was so very sick last fall and it took all winter to recuperate. Honestly...what kept me going was knowing I would be buying my new Airstream after working on my old one for years and the fact that I would be out on the road again Having something to look forward to can help you heal.
One not so bad day of my life was the day I wrecked and totaled the Airstream and the truck. Why "not so bad"? Because two other people I knew only through the forums offered to LEND me their spare streams and 3 others offered to jump in their tow vehicles and help me salvage all my stuff.

So if you could enjoy your Airstream in your back yard (and the zoning people aren't averse) ask if someone will help you set it up. Of if your going to miss a rally you've enjoyed for years, there might be someone in your area who'd tow it there for you for fuel costs. How about a mini-rally in the yard ... everyone else can bring their "virtual airstreams" with pictures on the cell phones.

If you're really a month or two away from being able to get into the Airstream - well get a calendar and set a goal date - and keep us all informed about how you are progressing. Maybe we can have a "not really a rally rally" to celebrate your first weekend out of "house arrest".

(My business partner is using my Avion to recover from his triple bypass - he can do two steps but can't stay in a 3rd floor apartment... That was supposed to be just til the 11th of this month, but he's extended (for that and other reasons) to the 27th when there's no room in the park due to the holiday weekend. I'm starting to wonder if I'll need a crowbar to get him out.)

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:36 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Airstream is very much a healer and mood enhancer. This thread is refreshing after the negative ones. We are really fond of ours...our 1st Airstream in 45 years of camping. Now to make time to hit the road.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Seabrook , Texas
Well put!
nwdionne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
2016 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Originally Posted by Sabre30 View Post
Many times other drivers have waved, given us the thumbs up, and even yelled to us to tell us how much they love our trailer.
Just last month, during our final shake down before our Yellowstone trip, we had a tween who was riding her bicycle tell us how much she like our Airstream. Ironically looking around at the park there weren't very many trailers, and those that were there at the state park definitely were not Airstreams. So both my wife and I were thankful and amused by the comment. All the same, made us smile that some kid on a bike took notice of the trailer. Something tells me she wasn't saying that to the owner's of the non-Airstream trailers.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We love our Airstream as well. Airstreams are back in the news and popular culture again so there is lots of interest in ours where ever we travel. I get a kick out Kelvin telling he was asked if his 2007 was new, sometimes we are asked if ours is restored, surprised to learn they still make them. The iconic image is timeless.

It's good to know the beautiful timeless design is also aerodynamic, low profile, and rides on fully independent suspension. Probably the easiest to tow, most stable travel trailer on the market.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #28
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Shiny, very well said. I might put off washing my Jeep but the Airstream seems to get daily attention. I get two questions asked everytime I hit the road. 1. Is it new? 2. Are they still making them?.

WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote