Old 07-22-2008, 02:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Nice work on the outside. After seeing the other pieces in the collection I would sure like to see the inside when she's done.
Thanks for the heads up on the new location. Visited the old place about 5 years ago.
Maybe a Forum member in Northern Indiana could be persuaded to put together a rally in the Elkhart area next year. Give me a good excuse to head out East again.

Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
There is lots of parking around the building ... we were by the new building last year. It would be a great place to have a rally... If one can be planned... we would definitely attend

WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:03 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Edwardsburg , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
Nice work on the outside. After seeing the other pieces in the collection I would sure like to see the inside when she's done.
Thanks for the heads up on the new location. Visited the old place about 5 years ago.
Maybe a Forum member in Northern Indiana could be persuaded to put together a rally in the Elkhart area next year. Give me a good excuse to head out East again.

Tom.

Well, anyone who would like to stop by anytime is Welcome. I have a decent amount of paved area, 3.5 acres, and will do what I can to provide power and water hook up or you can stay at the Elkhart Campground right down the road. We are only about 10 minutes from the Museum.

Also wanted to correct a few things. Was at the museum today.. seems they have actualy finished the Ford Camper that a member asked about and also found out that my Bowlus was a 1935, not '33. Apparently they did some more research on it after they got it back. They still haven't done anything much with the interior. Anyone want to volunteer to do the inside?

Also the new location has boosted visitors to upwards of 144 people a day. Not everyday, but Al says they get a lot more visitor than they ever used to at the old location. Personally, I think the new site is a huge improvement in so many ways. M~
Old 07-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Never made it to the old museum. The transport company I work for had our driver appreciation day at the museum in early June, just 7 weeks ago. Did not have enough time to see all the campers and motorhomes on display, need to go back! I don't think the Bowlus was there yet but they do have a nicely restored Airstream ('50's?). I could easily spend the entire day there looking at exhibits, the library, and the presentation by Al on the history of campers. It was Al's presentation that I learned why a fifth wheel is called a fifth wheel! Really cool!

BTW, good work MHenry!!!!

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Edwardsburg , Michigan
Rally Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers View Post
There is lots of parking around the building ... we were by the new building last year. It would be a great place to have a rally... If one can be planned... we would definitely attend
I thought I would throw that idea at Al and he said, unfortunately, that in Elkhart they have to have a license to allow overnight camping and they do not have one at this time. He did recommend Elkhart Campground as a rally location as it's only 3 miles away. He also said if anyone would like to work out any details with him on a possible rally they may call him at the RVMH at 1-800-378-8694.