Old 03-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
A day of cleaning: Before, during and after

Well I finally got my 78' home. It had been sitting in a back yard for 15 years collecting dirt and grime. This is what a simple power washer can do! Now if I could only power wash the brown shag and gold furniture! My next step is to rip out the carpet and look at the floors.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before_airstream.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	34629   Click image for larger version

Name:	during.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	34630  

Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	34631  

erock53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum

Surprised pwer washer didn't remove some of the blue pinstriping along the side stripes, but maybe it did and we just can't see it... Looks way better...

Good luck with the interior... Wish we could all say Harvest Gold and Avocado were making a comeback, as the "boomerang" formica lately...

Several ideas to ponder as you work inside...

1. Couches and chairs and upholstered items easier to recover and less expensive if you disassemble (with pictures and sketches) and take to non-RV shops in pieces..
2. Unless you are great sewer, try one of the curtain shops for replacement curtains, like Ambruso or Fowler or (Help me here.. Forum member started new curtain business..) Search "Curtains"...
3. Many members are replacing carpet in rear, but going to natural or synthetic wood-like flooring in entry/couch/kitchen area for ease of maintenance and cleaning... Challenge to find professional installers (lots of cuts per square foot..) but results look good.
4. Replacement mini-blinds orderable from places like Home Depot or Lowe's for less, and test with one to find versions that can re-use existing mounts... You also have option of sliding window coverings..
5. Be sure furnace, water heater and pump and refrigerator are in good leakproof working order first, as they might cause re-work of other interior items if they fail after you finish...

Good luck...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida

silver threads is the curtain maker on here. nice job on power washing , hpoe you didn't blow out any of the sealer in the seams .
just want to camp happy
bobchevy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Looking good! Amazing what a little water & elbow grease will do!

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Originally Posted by bobchevy89
hope you didn't blow out any of the sealer in the seams .
They probably need to be resealed anyway at that age. Nice job, that's a startling transformation! Just think how much more the PO could have got for it if they'd bothered to do that first!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Lookin' Good

I'm amazed that you were able to power wash the AC shroud without destroying it - most are paper thin by now.

Did you have to move the cleaned up unit off of the basketball court?

Check the perimeter inside front and back - that's a good area for "hidden" water damage to the plywood.

As has been said here many times - you have just purchased a down payment on an first class vintage redo.

You have a PM (Private Message)

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
When we got our Airstream....everyone on the Forum that we spoke to said no to power wash. Yours look super following the power wash. We have a power wash...we decided to LISTEN to the experts and followed the cleaning with the power. We used Man-power. Not Power Wash.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
As far as power washing the exterior, I did pay close attention to the areas where the panels were joined. I always pointed the nozzle so that the water would flow over and away from the joint and tried not to direct the water between the panels. As far as I can tell at this point I was fairly careful. The air-conditioner shroud looks better in the picture than in reality. I was carefull with this part also. I didn't crack it or blow thorough the plastic, but it does look kind of fragile. As far as the interior is concerned, I plan on making all of my own cabients and countertops after I search for bigger problems of floor rot, leaks, rear end sag / seperation. The axels are also on the list along with brakes. I had to purchase new tires just to get the thing rolling.
erock53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
We used simple green and clorox, the green stuff came right off with a light brushing and water hose. The unit had been sitting for 4 years.
Keep the shiny side up.
WBCCI # 348
Past Region 3 President
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Welcome to forums. My husband put the " remove all" on ours this past weekend and used a pressure washer to take it off. it worked great as far as the clearcoat, but it did take off the blue striping, which neede replacing anyway, so maybe it was a good thing?
John & Tammy Adams
Silver Threads Custom RV Curtains
2000 Airstream Excella | AIR 15902
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:28 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member
1977 31' Excella 500
Dear erock53, I plan to do something like you did with pwer washer. I would like to know if the job keep a good look after few months and what kind of wax did you put after. I have an excella 500 1989 in pretty good shape but some oxydation spot on.

CANADIAN BOB is offline   Reply With Quote