So after camping in our 1986 SOV for over a year we have definitely gotten the bug to do more. Alas, however, our AS just doesn't shine, if you get my drift.
The PO took really good care of her, and from speaking with him, this is the condition of my AS:
1. The TOP has original factory clearcoat - shows some oxidation under the coating.
2. The streetside (driver side) has original factory clearcoat - shows some oxidation under the coating.
3. The caps have been polished by the PO and covered with Shark Hyde - these are in better shape than the top and SS, but still have some oxidation.
4. The curb side is bare.
Ideally, I would like to have all the sides be polished and re-clearcoated and hope (pray) that I get 5 years of life out of it (being stored outside will be a challenge).
So, forum, what say you? I cannot afford the $5k price tag from P+S. I have a friend who owns a metal shop (with lots of polishers) and has access to a labor pool - I just need a PLAN and GOOD instructions for him and his folks. I'm thinking I can get my 25' done for $1500-$2k + materials.
If you were to offer step by step advice, what would you suggest?
I need to:
1. Remove the factory clearcoat - is REMOVALL the way to go?
2. Same for the Shark Hyde?
3. Remove all fittings and lights?
4. Tape windows?
5. Proper Nuvite polish? Can I use the "mid" level and just do one pass? See pic below...the curb side is the most oxidized...the others have just spots.
6. Will the Nuvite take off the oxidation or does it need some sanding?
Essentially what I'm asking is, if you had $2k to spend on labor and materials and wanted the best shine job possible, what would you do?
***NOTE*** I purchased the Nuvite Polish System with the low RPM buffer and some pads. *** I plan on letting the folks use this - I'm sure they have another low RPM polisher.
Thanks for ALL THE HELP!! You all have been great to me so far answering my questions.