Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
saint louis , Missouri
'66 Safari polish before/after

Well, it's taken a few weeks and weather permitting but finally wrapping up the coarse first pass of polishing the airstream. Still have to go back to some small areas and tight spaces around windows ect but at least my neighbors won't cringe at the sight of her in my driveway. We are all shocked at the difference it's made. Another few hours and then the tow bar is in for some serious rust removal and a paint job! I also have the original front dinette if anyone is interested. It's just the wood frame, doors, no cushions, no table. There's water damage at the bottom of one side. It has the slide curbside to make it a frame for a twin. Maybe someone wants to repair as it's still sturdy, just cosmetically damaged at the bottom of one side. Or use as a template.. If someone is interested I can post pics.
Kim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0772.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	173089   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0903.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	173090  

tripnfall76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Suhweet!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Yukon , Oklahoma
Great job! What did you use for your first pass?
Tdcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
saint louis , Missouri
I used 3M super coarse polishing compound. Can get it anywhere, advanced auto carries it although not normally qt sized in store. You can call ahead of time and they can have it in a day. I got mine at a auto paint supplier for $22/qt and that was enough to do the whole trailer minus the flat part of the roof I couldn't reach. Bought another qt and have to put up scaffolding to finish. I'm using an 8" polisher. I had some stubborn clear coat patches and it worked wonderfully taking that off. It will leave swirl marks, make no mistake about that but will take off the oxidation and clear coat the stripper wouldn't get off. Next pass will be w/ something much finer...and then employ orbital buffer..
Kim
tripnfall76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Good job Kim!! I am also pokin along on our 66 Safari... 1st pass about 3/4 done. All the interior work ( am not polishing it)is done just need to work on the outside. Spent the last month building a shed for it, now I can get back to polishing, though I'm not sure how much I can get done it the cold.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote