Old 01-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #1

1963 19' Globetrotter
Pembroke , Georgia
'63 Avion 20 ft camper

I've bought a 63 avion 20 ft camper I started buffing it and it's a pain is there a quicker way I'm using a buffer with red jewelers rouse it buffing but taking forever it looks like it's paint on the camper but it's not so I've been told any suggestions also I am in search of a door handle assembly as mine is snapped both inside and out anyone know where I can locate one

Thanks guys
Wayne

Old 01-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Your 63 has an anodized finish on the skin. You'll need to strip the anodizing off if you 're intent is to gain more than a satin/sheen finish.

Here's some information about the anodizing process. http://www.anodizing.org/Anodizing/w...anodizing.html

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I have an '87 Avion with the anodized finish. It is very durable, and you can polish it using ParFe wax to where you can easily comb your hair in it.

But, if you want the mirror finish, you will indeed need to grind through that anodized layer. This will not be easy. You'll basically need to sand through it. Maybe using something like a DA sander with 180 grit. Once you grind through the anodized layer, you'll need to then polish all of those coarse sanding marks out. So keep the DA, and go with 220 grit, then maybe 250 grit, then maybe 300, 350, and 400 grit, maybe finalize with 600 grit.

At that point, you can break out the Zyglo polisher and polish it.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but it's a lot of work what you're trying to do. It can be done. But it won't happen in a weekend.

I wish you the best with it. I really like Avions. They are a great trailer. And if you can pull this off, you'll be one of a half dozen guys that have. Please put pictures on here of it. It'll be beautiful.

The biggest thing I dislike about my Avion is the aluminum finish. I mean, she looks SWEET when I polish her up with the ParFe. But it's not the same as the true mirror finish you get on an Airstream with their alclad finish.

Git r done
Old 01-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
Think long and hard before you commit to start polishing the Avion. I have both A streams & an Avion. I've polished A streams, just for "what if" I tried the Avion behind the spare tire rack on the tail. A couple hrs with the right equipment working a small aprox 8x8inch square and it was kinda OK. You run those #s plus all the detail work around window frames, hatches ect your talking months or years. The last thing you need is to get an area polished an decide this sux I quit! You know what thats gonna look like. A '63 Avion is a sweet little rig as is, far more rare than the '63 trotter. With more options for the interior build. That said if you can do it, I'll drive to Georgia just to see it and buy you a beer.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:52 PM   #5

1963 19' Globetrotter
Pembroke , Georgia
polished section

This is what I've done so far it looks great
Old 01-07-2015, 06:46 AM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneo48 View Post
This is what I've done so far it looks great
A picture would add at least 990 words to your post.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Interesting. My 64 Avion has had at least four owners and I think most of us have tried to polish in small areas on the exterior. When I want mine to look better I use wd40 on the shell. Polishing will be very difficult. After all, it is fifty years old and some if us like the patina. Remember polished exteriors were not factory, only something some owners seem to like. Peace, jim
Old 01-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Polishing my AS is a great stress reliever. That is, if you have the patience. I have 20-30 hours into it and not even close. It will be nice whenever I get it done.
Nine degrees here tonight, with 15-20mph north wind. Springtime dreaming of getting it done on the nice warm days.......
Old 01-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #9
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
We have a 1960 Avion T20 also (1961 model - S/N 1413, it's their 2nd one built/numbered), which is pre-anodized skin.

IIRC they went to Anodized skins in 62 or 63 MY, which you can look up on the Avion websites out there, as well as for other owners' polishing/cleaning tips on Avions specifically.

That vintage trailer guy in Peru IN also has pix of several from the `63-64 T20 era in his for sale archives, showing the cleaned up skins on several (he had ads on here I think).

Your `63 T20 is indeed anodized skin, but you can still clean it up & get a nice sheen to it, but not the super shiny mirror finish. Modern AS's are anodized as well, so that's the look & level of shine you can strive for.

I'd highly recommend NOT stripping the anodizing off since it would take off some metal thickness & make the skins weaker without the strengthening from the anodizing.

PS - if it's partly polished now - i.e.: anodization already completely removed on the part you've done up to now (not just cleaned Up & "shined") - then you're basically stuck with working thru the whole trailer!

I can't tell, because the photo you thought you posted above, did not in fact get on your post #5 above.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #10

Hey Tom,

What pad did you use to polish up the airstream? I have a 1970 and it is oxidized outside as well. I don't want to strip it but just even out the outside
Old 01-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #11
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by howarda25 View Post
Hey Tom,

What pad did you use to polish up the airstream? I have a 1970 and it is oxidized outside as well. I don't want to strip it but just even out the outside
Howard,

I haven't polished our AVION yet - except with a terry towel & auto polish in a tiny test area, but that got a good shine on it. Prior owners had polished & others later started in 2 square areas in front & back, then stopped.

It would've originally been polished back in the 1960s, since it is in the pre-anodized skin era (1955 up to late 62 or 63).

Yours being a 1970 will be in the post-1963 (or late 62) anodized skin era, so you can't polish it, but maybe PM one of the other owners of late anodized skin owners who've posted above.

Unless yours is an Airstream - then I don't know, cuz this topic is on Avions as vintage kin, & you'll need to go to those AS guys' forum for AS polishing topics to see if yours is anodized in 1970 & what they do.

I really don't know if they even used the same aluminum alloys for the skins between AS - & Avion, Silver Streak & the other silver twinkie twins back then??

Good Luck!
Tom
////////

1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote