Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Monroe , Washington
2009 19' corrosion issues.

I've done a bunch of searching though the forums. Please excuse me if i missed it. I'm a newbie on this site. I have had this 2009 Airstream since new. Over the last couple years I've had this strange thing happening that looks like little white worm trails under the clear coat. The dealer says nothing can be done about it without striping it and re-clearing it for big $$$$$. I Walberize it really well every 6-8 months but these little corrosion spots are driving me nuts, and becoming more frequent. I'm to the point of where I want to strip all the clear-coat and polish this baby up. I see tons of info on striping and polishing old vintage trailers but haven't seen anything about newer Airstreams. Could someone point me in the right direction, or is it exactly the same as the older versions. Strip with aircraft aluminium stripper etc? Thank you for all your help, excited to be part of this forum for more info. Sorry it took me so long to sign up.
Hvacow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, you have filiform corrosion. Unsightly but not serious. To minimize, after a good washing, when thoroughly dry, treat all the edges around Windows, seams, door cutouts with Boeshield or Corrossion X. Both of these products will seal the edges where water is wicking up under the factory applied clear coat.

Do a forum search for "filiform" and you should get better instructions than mine.

As for stripping and polishing, that is well out of my league...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
2009 19' corrosion issues.

Your airstream has an Alcoa skin with an impregnated clear coat that is performed chemically at the time when Alcoa manufactured the panels. You cannot "strip", "polish" or "reseal" that skin. It's not bare aluminum like an old airstream.

Full panel replacement is the only option which is even bigger $$$.

Sorry about the bad news, but filiform is what it is on late model airstreams.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
And there is the paint option, again $$$ though.
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:37 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Monroe , Washington
Have any of you run into the issue with what looks like little white worms zig zagging under the clear coat? I was told its a type of corrosion. Any idea how to get rid of it?
Old 04-25-2017, 06:39 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Monroe , Washington
OK thank you for the info. The strange thing is, it's nowhere near a window or seam. Right strait in the middle of a couple different panels.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvacow1 View Post
Have any of you run into the issue with what looks like little white worms zig zagging under the clear coat? I was told its a type of corrosion. Any idea how to get rid of it?
Quote:
OK thank you for the info. The strange thing is, it's nowhere near a window or seam. Right strait in the middle of a couple different panels.
As noted above, it is filiform corrosion and you can find a lot about it using the search function for the Forum.

Filiform corrosion can start almost any place where the Alcoa "clearcoat" is damaged. Such damage can be in the middle of a panel because of sand and gravel being thrown up from the road. Also, think sandstorm.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This past November and December we parked our Airstream near and on the beaches of the Calif Central Coast, heavy surf and plenty of wind. Possibly the worst case exposure to salt spray and filiform corrosion, unless towing in northern winter road salt.

Before we parked there we sprayed the underbody steel, and wiped the entire shell down liberally with CorrosionX. After leaving we washed the Airstream and underbody and rinsed using lots of water. The result this spring was no corrosion whatsoever on or under our Airstream. We have been using CorrosionX on the shell seams and accessories, and Boeshield T9 on the underbody steel regularly since we purchased it new, no corrosion anywhere in six years.

This won't fix any corrosion you already have, but it will definitely slow it from progressing and prevent new corrosion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_3ccd.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	284175  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Monroe , Washington
Did a bunch of research over the last two days. Even called Alcoa. The aluminum is treated with a special clear coat. BUT it can be stripped it is not impregnated into the aluminum. They just use some sort of electrolysis to adhere it to the aluminum better than in the past. Also the trailer can be polished to a mirror shine just like old-school Airstreams. I've also spoke with a company on the east coast that specializes in polishing and they have done quite a few newer models. As new as a 2014. They quoted me $6500.00 for my 19' bambi (yikes!!) So good news is that it can be done. It is a bit more difficult. They said to do it in small sections. Put on aircraft remover (stripper) glove up and use fine steel wool (can only be purchased online) while the aircraft remover is on. Then hose it off. After you've stripped the whole thing its business as usual. Polish polish polish.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #10
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Hundreds of man hours for that job. And then you have the privilege of maintaining the bar finish every year sounds like fun
Old 04-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Definitely can be done. This is not mine, but it's a 2009 like yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	284212  
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #12
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Are you sure they said steel wool and not aluminum wool? Steel wool particles would imbed in the surface and rust big time. I have seen airplanes ruined that way with no alternative left except painting. Never use steel wool on aluminum.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:46 PM   #13
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
Definitely can be done. This is not mine, but it's a 2009 like yours.

Now I'll admit that trailer looks awesome!
Old 04-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #14
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Your airstream has an Alcoa skin with an impregnated clear coat that is performed chemically at the time when Alcoa manufactured the panels. You cannot "strip", "polish" or "reseal" that skin. It's not bare aluminum like an old airstream.

Full panel replacement is the only option which is even bigger $$$.

Sorry about the bad news, but filiform is what it is on late model airstreams.
I stand corrected! Apologies for the incorrect information. Not shy to say that I was wrong and I learned something new today
Old 04-26-2017, 09:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote:
Did a bunch of research over the last two days. Even called Alcoa. The aluminum is treated with a special clear coat. BUT it can be stripped it is not impregnated into the aluminum. They just use some sort of electrolysis to adhere it to the aluminum better than in the past. .
I suspect they use electrostatic powder-coating application then bake it on the panel. Similar to automotive painting. The powder covers evenly as the coating builds up, no liquids to handle and no runs
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote