Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Marshall , Virginia
1976 Argosy kitchen counter top

We are in the process of working on our acquired Argosy, and I have a question about the laminated kitchen counter tops.

While the counter is in good shape, the color 70's green, is not going to be in our new color scheme.
Short of removing the laminate, which is a royal pain, I was wondering if it could be painted? And if it could be painted, what could we paint it with?

We used the Rustoleium plastic spray on the bathroom sink and tub, and it came out great.
28Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'm sure you CAN paint it, but I'd worry about A) durability and B) safe for food prep? Of course there's always the hot pot pulled from the stove to mess it up too.

Getting Contact cement to loosen up from plywood is indeed a difficult thing -
but often not so tough as you think. USE AN OLD iron (not your wife's brand new $100 Rowena!) put it on a moist towel and let it sit for 30 seconds - overlapping the end of a piece of the laminate. Use a putty knife or drywall knife to pull up he edge. once it's up, keep the layers separate with a dowel rod or pencil - then just work your way in until the whole thing pops off. Sand and reglue new stuff.

If you want you could replace the whole top. Most of the countertops in Airstreams/Argosies are 1/2 or 5/8 inch plywood. Why not just remake the whole countertop complete with new laminate?

Oh - and I do remember YEARS AGO when I was in college using Contact Paper to cover a hideous countertop and matching table top. Renewed it about every six months, but that was an apartment I lived in full time.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Marshall , Virginia
Thank you!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
All you need to do is to remove the countertop, and the backsplash assembly. Remove the backsplash from the countertop, remove the trim. Rough up the countertop with a belt sander with very corse paper. Glue the new laminate right over the old ugly green stuff. Do the same for the backsplash, screw the backsplash back on, replace the front trim, and re assemble. Yep, takes time but you don't need to remove the old laminate. I have done this twice in the various AS products I have owned.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Marshall , Virginia
Ohhhhhhhh my husband loves his power tools! Thank you for another option in procedure to the counter.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There is a 2 part epoxy paint available in big box hardware that does a real good job on plastic or fiberglass tubs, sinks and counters. Goes on with a brush but dries without brushstrokes. Stinky. Wear a respirator.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Solid surface option

Here is what I did in my 1976 31' Sovereign. Installed Corian solid surface counter top, under mount sink with tile back splash. Also added pull out drawers.

Airstream counter top.pdf
Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Or, you could put new laminate on top of the old laminate. I'm not familiar with your backsplash, you may have to replace it. I would re-laminate over the old before attempting to pull the old stuff off.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Granby , Massachusetts
adonh, thanks for sharing the photos. What kind of fridge do you have?
CordellCampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:07 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordellCampr View Post
adonh, thanks for sharing the photos. What kind of fridge do you have?
The kitchen remodel where I replaced the fridge was in 2008 with the Summit FF985SS SS refrigerator. But it was later discounted and this one is the current model Summit FF1074SS Stainless Steel Top Freezer | Goedeker’s

The size appears about the same. Mine has worked perfect since 2008 and still looks like new.