Old 04-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
From the ZD web site and manual, page 1 has how to properly maintain your ZD awning. How to clean and lubricate with silicon spray.

http://awningsbyzipdee.com/media//DI...5cffffd502.pdf

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
rob, I think this is key . . .

"having to disconnect the main bar while the awning is extended is disastrous due to the tension, but when you have to disconnect it to retract it, you have no choice."

Lower the awning to it's lowest notch so you can reach it. Then do not disconnect the top bar until you relieve tension on it. Grab the outer part of the upper bar and push outward at the same time you release the tension pin. Then disconnect the upper arm, the tension will be gone and you can disconnect and stow it easily.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
All I can tell you is what the owner's manual says and what I was told by a rep on the phone. No lube. Having dealt with mechanical things on many levels, over the years, I know better, a little quality lube goes a long way. Regardless, if you read the post, this is clearly not the issue.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:08 PM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by robi View Post
Sorry, it was protagonist. I guess I am feeling a little antagonistic after spending more money and time on my zip dee awning:}
Not to worry. I answer to almost anything. As the saying goes, "Call me anything, just don't call me late for dinner.*" No offense taken.

*BTW, according to Airstream Time, if you're right on time, you're already late!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
I was just at the Florida Rally in the Fl Keys. The Zip Dee rep was there and demonstrated the ins and outs of the maintenance of the Zip Dee Awning. Silicone is the key to lubrication. "If you think you sprayed too much, spray some more". I can't believe someone would say no lubrication. BTW, I ordered the street side and rear window awnings, just delivered, can't wait to install them!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
just to state a simple fact...my '82 Newell Coach has 34 year old ZipDee Awnings and they all work better than others we have been neighbors with.
I say you buy one or two of the cheapos and find out why! But no don't waste your money just spend it wisely on something proven and smile when the neighbor come to look at yours.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Personally speaking, once I figured out the correct way to open and close the awning it is easy. Several features the Zipdee has over the others is the canvas vs, vinyl canopy and the metal sheath the canopy rolls up into. Also IMHO there is not another awning that matches the iconic styling of Airstream. Another plus is parts are readily available and generally easy to replace.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
I was just at the Florida Rally in the Fl Keys. The Zip Dee rep was there and demonstrated the ins and outs of the maintenance of the Zip Dee Awning. Silicone is the key to lubrication. "If you think you sprayed too much, spray some more". I can't believe someone would say no lubrication. BTW, I ordered the street side and rear window awnings, just delivered, can't wait to install them!

That was one of the most informative talks I have attended. He stopped by my trailer and we spent 45 minutes talking about ZD and Fantastic Fan vents.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #23
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Zip Dee: Why, oh why, doesn't Airstream upgrade?

I think ZD is the best awning you can choose. There's a reason why Airstream and Avion chose them ( until Fleetwood cheaped out and went with another brand as the Avions were going out of production. )

If I had bent parts, I would replace them then find someone who KNOWS how to operate one properly, including proper lubrication with silicone spray. Have them teach you how to open, close, and stow the awning. Practice until you are comfortable doing it. Putting it up or taking it down should NOT be a struggle.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

"I don't mean to sound degrading but with a face like that you got nothing to laugh about" Rod Stewart (Faces)
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:10 PM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Easy-Peasy

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
And instructions on lubricating

http://youtu.be/fMDV3qkgntw
Old 04-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
And on repairing bent arms

http://youtu.be/yzEFViN5ZE4
Old 04-27-2016, 09:06 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
Thanks for all the replies, especially to the folks on the method of releasing the tension prior to dissembling an extended awning, a post I will save for sure. Just to clarify the content of the post and save folks from submitting more info, the issue isn't extending the awning, I tow between 10,000 and 15,000 miles annually and have extended and retracted the awning hundreds of times in the fashion described in the owners manual and the you tube video (there are many of these for multiple issues with the awnings) which I referenced upon using the awning the first time. Lubing the awning is not rocket science. As I stated at the onset of my original post, my main goal was to pass along information that I obtained about the awning from zip dee regarding a significant product issue due to the use of substandard materials in smaller Airstream trailers, and that upgrading a part may solve your awning issues. I had no idea so many folks struggled with figuring out the actual set up of the awning and am surprised folks would be so happy with a product that required seminars and personal instruction to use properly. Happy trails!
Old 04-27-2016, 09:09 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down OOP's...discovered so long ago.

I've forgotten more that I'm currently aware of....

It wasn't really a ZipDee problem it was how it was installed that made it hard to operate.

The rear arm was out of plumb about 3". Had to remove the lower bracket and re-install so the arm was straight. Replaced phillips with hex and plenty of SikaSeal

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07535.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	261452   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07928.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	261453  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote