Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Karnes City , Texas
Zip Dee Wheel Lock Stuck

The wheel lock on our 1976 Sovereign Zip Dee awning won’t unscrew. The guy took it off when we bought it a couple months ago but now it won’t budge. I’m thinking he put it on too tight. I’ve tried all kinds of things including channel locks and a pipe wrench, along with penetration oil. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	025E64B1-2562-4565-A7B7-09E991D9306C.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	319662  
Kevio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I'll presume you put some penetrant around the base of the wheel and on the threads. I really like PBBlaster. It has loosened many things for me. Another trick I have used is to put a torch on the nut (wheel) and ice on the stud. The stud shrinks a little and the wheel expands a little. This will not work if the binding is between the base of the wheel and the casting on the arm. In that case just ice the wheel.

When you try to turn it does anything move? This would tell you where it is binding up.

Edit: It looks like the stud is slanted to the right in the picture and the casting on the arm is displaced to the right w.r.t. the base casting. Try to tap the assembly to get the casting on the arm lined up symmetrically with the base casting.

Also try releasing the other locks or tightening them, depending on what the state is when you can't get this wheel loose.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Two people...

...needed.

From the pic it appears the wheel shaft may be off-center and jammed.

Have Peep #2 push the support arm in, hard, while turning.(attempting) 😳

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
It sounds like galling (“cold welding”) that occurs when stainless steel bolt and nut are over tightened. No easy way to untighten, often requires cutting the nut (wheel) off.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
From your picture, it looks like you have penetrating oil on the bolt threads (good, of course). It does not look like you have put any oil on the aluminum to aluminum contact of the wheel and the arm end. Aluminum to aluminum galling and/or corrosion might be the problem.

Penetrating oil on the aluminum to aluminum contact might help. If it were me, I would apply the oil, let it soak overnight, and then try to turn the wheel. If that did not work, I would judiciously heat the wheel (only) with a torch, let it cool, apply more oil, and try again. I would repeat the process several times if it still did not break loose.

An extension (piece of iron pipe) on your pipe wrench, or a bigger pipe wrench might help.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
be careful with heat. I'm sure the wheel is aluminum. It could be cross threaded.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
I agree with PB Blaster on the threads. Have you tried to tighten it just a tad? I find that many times that will break the "stuck" and allow the oil to penetrate if it's galled on.
Always use "anti-seize" on stainless bolts too; especially with aluminum.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
Using your picture as a reference, push the arm right to left while someone attempts to turn the wheel. I know I often need to "re-align" the arm for mine to turn.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Waukesha , Wisconsin
If the bolt is steel and the wheel is aluminium, it could have dielectric corrosion, happens a lot with bicycle seatposts. Typically penetrating lube will not work in these cases
Shinkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I don't think you have much choice except a larger wrench. It doesn't look corroded and the metal is aluminum.
If you have access to a propane torch, heat the area where the threads meet the wheel.
One of two things will happen, it will release and you can take it off and see if it was cross threaded. Or it will snap the pin and you'll replace both parts.
Sheering the pin will take some force.

It's hard to imagine someone cross threading it, because they'd have to use a wrench to get it that far on. But...........
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Kevio... be very careful not to damage the rivets holding the hardware to the trailer. Much more important than saving the locking 'wheel'.

If you exhaust all options using larger and larger leverage and not tearing the bracket attached to the exterior... cut a slice into the 'wheel lock'... and cut it off. You will need this area to be solid if you plan to keep your awning secured to the trailer.

Lets not even get into the 'leaking' into the interior if you tear this area up with a four foot jack handle and plumber's pipe wrench. That is for the Oil Patch on a Drilling Rig.

It is much cheaper to replace the wheel lock than repair the main bracket with threaded bolt. (I may be tight with my money, but there are times you have to spend $5 to save $100 in damage.)
Old 08-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ice Man View Post
Using your picture as a reference, push the arm right to left while someone attempts to turn the wheel. I know I often need to "re-align" the arm for mine to turn.
BINGO👍...it's happened here more than once.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
Same thing happened to me a few years ago. I sprayed a few times with PB Blaster, gave it a knock with a hammer, tried to tighten and untighten, waited a few hours and applied more PB Blaster, waited,.....and it worked.
2023 GMC Denali 3500
kdinnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
From your picture, it looks like you have penetrating oil on the bolt threads (good, of course). It does not look like you have put any oil on the aluminum to aluminum contact of the wheel and the arm end. Aluminum to aluminum galling and/or corrosion might be the problem.

Penetrating oil on the aluminum to aluminum contact might help. If it were me, I would apply the oil, let it soak overnight, and then try to turn the wheel. If that did not work, I would judiciously heat the wheel (only) with a torch, let it cool, apply more oil, and try again. I would repeat the process several times if it still did not break loose.

An extension (piece of iron pipe) on your pipe wrench, or a bigger pipe wrench might help.

Tim
My money is on the aluminum to aluminum contact point under the wheel too.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Zip Dee Wheel Lock Stuck

Tap out the small pin and remove the wheel/stud assembly.

Then you can get mean with it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1534205946.576770.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	319813  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevio View Post
The wheel lock on our 1976 Sovereign Zip Dee awning won’t unscrew. The guy took it off when we bought it a couple months ago but now it won’t budge. I’m thinking he put it on too tight. I’ve tried all kinds of things including channel locks and a pipe wrench, along with penetration oil. Any thoughts?
It looks as if it got knocked back out of allignment wedding the where it can't turn. Tap it forward with a hammer and I bet you will be able to turn it by hand.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #17

Currently Looking...
Loganville , GA
Quote:
Ours did this exact same thing. I worked on it using 3 in one oil for an hour and a half and was finally able to work it loose. Such a pain. Someone told me the screw and the receiver are made from two different metals that react to each other. I don't know for sure, but that was really hard to release. Good luck!
tinshiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I went back and looked at the picture again.
The knob doesn't look cross threaded to me.
So maybe it's jammed where the wheel meets the cast U-shaped piece.
I'd put lots of penetrating oil there, wait a while, tap it lightly, and try turning again.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Since the wheel typically does not come off of the threaded bolt, cross threading is not the issue. Alignment of the shoulder of the wheel to the matching cone shape in the receiver is where the binding is taking place. The two people solution (one pushing the assembly upwards and in to help align the wheel and socket may work.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Have you freed up the wheel yet?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote