Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2014, 10:00 PM   #1

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Sparta , New Jersey
Your favorite tools for a long road trip?

In preparation for another long road trip, I'd like to hear what favorite tools you would not leave home without and how they might have saved your trip!

Many Thanks!
meg2ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The obvious first choice is, whatever tools you need to change a flat tire. A flat you can't fix will put a serious crimp in your trip!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Land Yacht
Oakton , Virginia
GPS, phone, laptop, camera, and two bags full of electronic cables and chargers. Good for locating Walmarts, fuel, RV parts stores, dining, and motels.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Dean E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Wrenches to tighten/torque//maintain whatever brand of hitch you have installed and wheel lugs, pliers, assorted screwdrivers, spare fuses for TT and TV, file, sandpaper, electrical tape, cable ties, multimeter, measuring tape, duct tape, masking tape, Velcro, Indiana socket set (adjustable end wrench), pipe wrench, spray lubricants, rubbing alcohol, spray protectant, small and large hammer, extra screws, extension pole, tie downs, bungees, foam wrap ... others forgotten in this list ? Help
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
On a long Airstream trip, the one tool that it would be very difficult to be without is my smartphone.

We have been spoiled by a number of apps that really enhance our travel routine.

Gas Buddy and Gas Guru guide us to the lowest price fuel available in the area. We have saved as much as $9.00 on a tankful of diesel fuel.

RV Parky finds the nearest campgrounds to our location. RV Parky also provides us with the locations of all of the Wal-Marts nearby.

The Passport America app saves us a bundle when a PA discount is available nearby.

The Interstate Exits Guide app provides us with the facilities available at each Interstate Exit nationwide.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:00 AM   #6
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Besides the items Mefly2 listed, I carry a small collection of door/drawer replacement catch latches, quick wire couplers, and replacement hot water heater drain plugs.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi,

Trailer aid Plus.

Good credit card.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:53 AM   #8
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
A small DVM and spare fuses, a bit of wire, etc. Enough to debug a blown fuse, water heater thermal element, mis-wired campground plug, etc.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Patience, good red wine, a sense of wonder and adventure.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I take almost all of my tools - wrenches, sockets, hammers, pliers, electrical tools and tape, propane and water thread tape, screwdrivers, drill and bits, hex wrenches, etc.

Things are gonna break from time to time, and the tool you need to fix it is the one that's sitting in the garage at home. I carried all of my tools except the drill when we had the B190, too; while we were camping I'd move them to the floor of the driver's seat, out of the way but still accessible if needed. And, of course, when my awning collapsed in the B190 the one thing I needed was the drill I didn't have.

The good news is that I rarely need to use the tools. I can't remember when I last needed them for something related to the truck or camper. It's like backing up your computer - if you back up, you'll probably never need it, but stop backing up and your hard drive will pick the worst moment to fail. I figure, if having the tools with me keeps the gremlins away, it's a small price to pay!

I also have AAA.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:42 AM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Wrenches to tighten/torque//maintain whatever brand of hitch you have installed and wheel lugs, pliers, assorted screwdrivers, spare fuses for TT and TV, file, sandpaper, electrical tape, cable ties, multimeter, measuring tape, duct tape, masking tape, Velcro, Indiana socket set (adjustable end wrench), pipe wrench, spray lubricants, rubbing alcohol, spray protectant, small and large hammer, extra screws, extension pole, tie downs, bungees, foam wrap ... others forgotten in this list ? Help
Do you really start on a trip expecting to need all of these tools? In my case, since I'm an apartment dweller and don't need to do much in the way of home repair, my RV toolbox is more extensive than my home toolbox, so my question wasn't a criticism. I just ask because in terms of "favorite tools and how they might have saved your trip" that's a long list of trip-saving tools!

In my previous post I listed tire-changing tools, mainly because on one trip last year, I got a flat on my toad, and had to do a tire change alongside a busy highway just outside of Vidalia, LA. But one "tool" I probably should have mentioned is a reflective vest like construction workers wear. I include one on every road trip, ever since a coworker of mine was struck by a car (hit-and-run, by the way) while doing a tire change alongside I-20 near Tyler, TX. He spent months in the hospital, and more months doing physical rehabilitation, and still had to take a full-disability retirement. Being run over not only ruins your trip, but also your life! So for me, a reflective vest is a "trip-saving" tool!

For those who also think a reflective vest is a good idea, I make this recommendation:
Get a vest that meets ANSI/ISEA 107 Class 2 or better. This will be a "three-color" vest with either a fluorescent yellow/green background and orange and reflective stripes, or vice versa, an orange vest with flourescent yellow/green and reflective stripes. For a single vest suitable for both day and night use, I think the yellow/green background color is better, but that's just personal opinion. Here's the kind I use, selected not only for the high-visibility, but also the pockets (not all high-vis vests have pockets):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41roLqSUntL.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	203644  
Old 01-15-2014, 06:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
1. flashlight
2. Phillips screwdriver
3. flat screwdriver
4. Fix-a-Flat
5. spare wiring connectors/wire nuts
6. torque wrench and 3/4" socket for hitch tightening/adjusting
7. small 12 volt air compressor
8. hammer
That's about all I've needed in all my years of camping.
Other tools stay in the trailer for ready access to do maintenance at home.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Just about all the tools except for the cutting torches and drill press.
So far i have never had anything I couldn't handle myself happen.
Hope my luck holds
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

I am of the everything but the kitchen sink crowd. Some little thing goes wrong on every trip.
The tools and supplies I use the most are tools and parts to fix cabinet latches and hinges. The cabinets in mine are of compressed cardboard or whatever they call fake wood. Screws are always pulling out. I reset them using plastic wood or a bit of metal mesh. Latches break, I carry replacements and hinges loosen. These can usually be tightened.
The other thing I can't live without is the range extender for my wifi. Lots of parks have marginal signals which are further reduced inside of the aluminum skin of the A.S. I get a useable signal with the range extender.
I carry those slow vehicle triangles which I used a lot beside the road changing ST tires. Now that I switched to Michelins, they are unused and hopefully will stay that way forever.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
3/4 ton truck. I carry a fairly big tool box with a lot of stuff. Box of PEX fittings and crimper. Box with electrical stuff. Box of rivets and the riveter. Roll of metal tape. Battery powered drill. In the box are lots of things I picked up at Walmart on the road for specific probalems. Changed the whole umbical connector at Walmart in Wasilla, AK, one day wne the old one came unhooked and I ground it off the cable dragging it down the highway. Overall we have had little trouble on the road. But the box goes just because I like having the stuff.

the owners manual has been the most valuable tool for me. I have needed help from it with various electricl problems.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #16
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I carry a typical assortment of tools, hope to not need them. But also in case someone else does need some help. I do carry an extra 30 AMP cord plug.

Never thought about carrying PEX, might look into it.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #17
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
One thing that I have needed more than once, is a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter. Breaker kept tripping on the 30 amp socket, changed to the 50 amp and good to go.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
1994 31' Legacy 30
Hillsboro , Texas
Tooks

I carry a plastic tool box with the minimum set of stuff I think I can get away with. But the one thing no one else has mentioned is a good pocket multi-tool. I carry an original Leatherman in my pocket while traveling. It has saved many hours of looking for the right tool just to tighten a loose screw etc.

I'm very weight conscious and once I made the mistake of suggesting to my late wife that we should reconsider the number of pots, pans and other cooking utensils we were keeping in the trailer. Her response was "right, lest start by looking in your tool box".
tony6373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:05 AM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony6373 View Post
I carry a plastic tool box with the minimum set of stuff I think I can get away with. But the one thing no one else has mentioned is a good pocket multi-tool. I carry an original Leatherman in my pocket while traveling. It has saved many hours of looking for the right tool just to tighten a loose screw etc.
Multitools are never the right tool for the job (unless the right tool is needlenose pliers) but a multitool is better than no tool at all. I have one that I keep in an outer pocket of my canvas toolbag, because it's often easier to just grab it than to haul out the whole bag and search through it for the right tool.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
The most important tools:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Patience, good red wine, a sense of wonder and adventure.
You speak the truth!