Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Wrap around window protector

I just purchased a new TT and realized that both front wrap around window protectors (the smoked plastic rock guards) are either cracked or broken. As they are thin plastic, they appear to be something that can be replaced (I imagine that UV can wreck them and make them brittle or fragile). The aluminim frames in which they sit could also use a bit of TLC. Can they plastic be replaced or do I need to replace the entire unit? Where can I find replacements? Who sells them? Any other thoughts, comments or ideas?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:21 AM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
they are available as a set of three from any Airstream dealer, but are pretty expensive plus a lot for shipping. You will be looking at around $1000.- to replace them, if you do the work yourself.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Check with Andy at Inland RV?

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
The stone guard aluminum panels below the windows are in good shape, but one of them has been pushed in. It did not deform the panel, but it did bend the hinge behind the panel. The hinge will also need to be replaced. Ouch!

When rebuilding the frames for the windows, I noticed there was some sort of paste or putty (used to seal the mitred corners, I think) in the corners where the vertical pieces meet the horizontal ones. Some corners show a small amount of separation. What is this material and how is it used when rebuilding the frames? DO the windows need to be placed into some sort of weather stripping or rubber edge seal? Is there any info that deals with the rebuilding/reburbishment of these windows?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnCamper07 View Post
The stone guard aluminum panels below the windows are in good shape, but one of them has been pushed in. It did not deform the panel, but it did bend the hinge behind the panel. The hinge will also need to be replaced. Ouch!

When rebuilding the frames for the windows, I noticed there was some sort of paste or putty (used to seal the mitred corners, I think) in the corners where the vertical pieces meet the horizontal ones. Some corners show a small amount of separation. What is this material and how is it used when rebuilding the frames? DO the windows need to be placed into some sort of weather stripping or rubber edge seal? Is there any info that deals with the rebuilding/reburbishment of these windows?
Replacing them, is the best choice.

Not cheap, but at least they will last another 20 years, or so.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Salida , Colorado
Santa? Are You There?

Although I purchased my TT for a good price, there are several items that need attention and, likely, several smaller items or details as well. The costs really add up fast. And some of them cost more than I thought they would. I have no problem doing different jobs, but lately it seems like as soon I finish one I have to start another! Perhaps I should add several of these things on my 'wish list' and see if Santa will be kind to me this year! Maybe I'll get lucky!