Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Would I be getting in over my head?

I'm getting the sense that one needs to be an accomplished plumber, electrician, carpenter and mechanic to be a happy Vintage Airstream owner. None of which I am. I find myself getting discouraged and browsing Craig's List for an ugly, white SOB box instead. I'm a pretty handy little woman, but I wonder if I'd be getting in over my head with a Vintage unless it's been completely updated. I can't afford a new AS.

Any words of encouragement?
RV H-D Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Even the new Airstreams require work.There should be a statement with the literature that comes with the new units stating "that some assembly may be required". Having said that, any older unit usually requires something. Just the nature of the beast.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
There are lots of inspector listed on this Forum that would be available to inspect any Airstream you are considering.

Short of a trailer that needs to have a Frame off or axle rework you should be able to get the advice you will need on any project right here and complete it if you have basic hand tool capacity.

Go For It

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

you just need to find a well loved airstream. it takes a lot of looking we looked for over 2 years for our 1po 1972 overlander ten years ago. but they are still out there. the airstream inspectors are a great idea, they know what/where to look for. things pretty much only and airstreamer would think of. we of course think it is well worth the trouble and love our 2 airstreams. one isn't quite enough.
mare
cmgirdwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
It is good to have some abilities in those areas,. but certainly not all vintage owners do. You can get by leaning on friends, pros and other of us "streamers"..
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
I replaced a few year old converter in a 1999 motorhome years ago with no problem. But the converter I saw in a 1976 Argosy the other day was very intimidating and scary looking. I've changed slide valves before but I wouldn't have a clue how to even get to the slide valve bolts on that little Argosy. I even had a heck of a time getting the battery out of that tiny little battery compartment on the Argosy to check the water.
So,aAre you all saying that I wouldn't have to travel hours to get her to an experienced vintage Airstream repair shop? Anyone who knows about modern day RV electrical and plumbing systems should have no problem figuring things out on a vintage, even if they had never worked on one?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
define "pretty handy".

a used white-box SOB isn't going to be any better; they'll have even more problems, if anything.

IMO, they're like miniature houses. The same "handy" skills you use around the house apply in the 'stream, as well.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
That's the false idea that Home Depot and Lowes sells to homeowners through their TV commercials and I can't tell you how much work I've corrected over the years that they've insisted could be done by anyone with basic skills. Truth is some people and tools of any kind are as compatable as oil and water and they're simply dollars and frustration ahead paying someone qualifed and skilled to do the work. Doesn't mean that you can't find an older unit in good shape. but anything with the systems of an Airstream is going to require work at some point and not every owner can do that work for any number of reasons. It's true that you can find great guidance on this forum but you will either have to attempt the work yourself or be willing to pay someone to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
There are lots of inspector listed on this Forum that would be available to inspect any Airstream you are considering.

Short of a trailer that needs to have a Frame off or axle rework you should be able to get the advice you will need on any project right here and complete it if you have basic hand tool capacity.

Go For It
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
JLester

1962 19' Globetrotter
Canyon Creek , Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to jlester
My name is Julia, and I have a 1962 GT that I have done a full frame off restoration with. I had no experience with metal, so I contacted a local company that works on airplanes, and they did the metal work with me "helping" and learning as they went. It has been great fun. While the trailer was at the airport, I went through all of the forums and printed out any forum item that I knew I would need to get to someday. I put all of the information into binders. Then I started a detailed list of the work I would need to do. If you tackle one item at a time, it is really doable and you don't get overwhelmed. This winter I will get the plumbing done and the tanks mounted, and then next spring the trailer will go to a carpenter and get the inside finished. It is doable, if you break it down into manageable parts.
jlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
WOW, I'm impressed Julia. I'm hoping to find something other than a total restoration. My main goal is to go camping, and repair as needed.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I have been watching your searching for an Airstream posts for the past few weeks. All along I was glad you were looking...however, I felt like your were approaching what I call a "feeding frenzy" and were going to buy something that would eat you up. Don't do that!!! Take a deep breath and keep looking....and asking...you will find a nice reliable Vintage Airstream. Structure is most important. Don't get involved with a floor replacement. There is no such thing as an inexpensive panel replacement....and I am guessing that would be beyond your capabilities at this point. The systems are simple. You can do anything there. Seal all the seams and windows first thing.....again, a simple job. The cleaning up and decorating...supplying..etc., are the fun things you do as you go. End of Summer....the best time to buy your "Baby."
Old 09-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I have been watching your searching for an Airstream posts for the past few weeks. All along I was glad you were looking...however, I felt like your were approaching what I call a "feeding frenzy" and were going to buy something that would eat you up. Don't do that!!! Take a deep breath and keep looking....and asking...you will find a nice reliable Vintage Airstream. Structure is most important. Don't get involved with a floor replacement. There is no such thing as an inexpensive panel replacement....and I am guessing that would be beyond your capabilities at this point. The systems are simple. You can do anything there. Seal all the seams and windows first thing.....again, a simple job. The cleaning up and decorating...supplying..etc., are the fun things you do as you go. End of Summer....the best time to buy your "Baby."
Thanks Melody Ranch. I do know to look for and stay away from floor problems and panel replacements. I like your statement that the systems are simple. That helps assure me a bit that either I can do many repairs or easily find a competent person to do them for me. But I haven't been RVless since 1992 and hate the thought of selling my current SOB and then spending years looking for the "right one," or at least a "right enough one."
Old 09-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I found a nice little trailer which I could use right away, from a club member who was using it regularly so it was 'ready to camp'. Best decision I ever made, because we got to enjoy it and tackle it's little problems as they came up. Eventually we had someone replace the axle, and I replaced the front half of the floor, and there's been very little electrical work, except for replacing that scary-looking converter with a modern one. The only plumbing work has been fixing a leak and replacing a section of pipe that froze when I didn't winterize as well as I should have. There's been 7 years of fun between all that stuff, and I plan on keeping it for many many more. An SOB would be falling apart by now!

There are good trailers out there that won't even cause you that much trouble. They don't all have to be a major project. Just take your time picking one out. This is a good time of year for finding end-of-season bargains - people who want them gone and don't want to store them another winter. Spring is better for selection but there's more competition. Good luck!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Thanks Stephanie.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
My comment relates more to the economics of things rather than the skillset issue - although I don't doubt you'd be up to tackling anything needed as long as you don't get overwhelmed and discouraged by facing too much at once.

Over the years I have restored a few old Brit sports cars - I certainly enjoyed it, and restoring them for me was as much fun as driving them, but I finally learned to believe what many people had told me in that financially, you are far better off to buy a vehice that someone else has invested in major restoration work rather than doing it yourself - provided of course that the work has been done to a decent standard.

I would think that this would apply to buying an older AS as well, as long as you shop wisely.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1958 22' Flying Cloud
San Angelo , Texas
You can do it!

If you're the kind of person who doesn't mind getting your hands dirty and likes to fix things and make them your own, then you can do this. Just prioritize the stuff you can't do yourself and have a plan for when you can afford to pay someone else to do them. I've done most of the restoration work myself and have only had to pay someone else to do things lik install new water heater, water pump and toilet, some rear frame repair and brake wiring. The rest of the stuff, this forum gave me the info. I needed. Here's what I've done: replaced the flooring, all exterior lights, removed the old toilet (by sawing it to pieces), fixed both sink faucets and other minor plumbing repairs, replaced all window screens and window tinting, gaskets and weather stripping on all doors and windows, removed all the silicone & resealed all seams & possible leak sources. Refreshed old refrigerator and installed new gaskets, fixed all the tambour, mended the torn fabric on sofa and made the bedcoverings. I still have several other projects to finish, but have been camping in it & enjoying it since the toilet was installed! I didn't get to choose my trailer as it had belonged to my parents, so I guess it chose me. Now it's mine and I love it. My dear hubby has helped with anything needing muscle, but he's not exactly a fixit kind of guy. So guess what I'm saying is if I did it, so can you, so just go for it!
Joy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
To me there is a common thread to all RV's pumps, converters, propane systems, hot water heaters, batteries etc. There are only so many manufactures of these systems and once you understand the function they are all similar.

Yes the older Univolt might be an exception but is still a converter and it's function is the same...provide 12VDC...and easily replaced with a modern 3 stage converter.

The special thing here is the support you get from this forum I don't think there is anything you would want to repair on an Airstream that hasn't been done by someone here and willing to help should you need it.

All brands and all makes of RV' end up having problems that are pretty much unique to that manufacture but the systems used are all similar after all how many brands of hot water heaters are there and a Dometic frig is a Dometic frig.

Owning an Airstream is owning a unique piece of American history and anywhere you camp other campers want to see YOUR camper over all others.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments. I do feel a bit more confident now.

Joy, I'm sure I could do all the things you mentioned that you did. I do get satisfaction in doing stuff myself and do like to at least try. Except I'm not too keen on doing too much electrical except maybe changing light fixtures.

The whole learning process and shopping process is quite a journey in it's self. I do have to tell myself to take a deep breath now and then and enjoy the ride.

A million thanks to you all!! But I'm not through with you yet!! = )
Old 09-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #19
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
There are many members here on the forums willing to help you. Ask the question and you will get answers.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
RV HD Lady~

YOU CAN DO IT!

The searching is really a lot of fun too, look everywhere, Craigs List, Airforums Classifieds, Ebay, etc. It may take time, it took us well over a year to find ours. We thank our lucky stars that the previous owner loved her and Ill tell you there is nothing I wouldn't tackle on her. Search, find one and get out and camp. Worst case scenario you sell it and find something else. Lifes too short, just do it.