Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV H-D Lady View Post
Except I'm not too keen on doing too much electrical except maybe changing light fixtures.
Don't let the electrical be your limiting factor. With the exception of the 120 volt receptacles, which most likely will not need work, the rest of the electrical is 12 DC. 12 volt DC is very easy to work with just think of it as a loop. Power goes out on the positive wire, often black, and returns on the ground side, often white or the body of the trailer. If you have fused the hot wire close to the battery there is nothing you can do wrong that will result in more than a blown fuse and another chance.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Thanks Jezibles for the vote of confidence.

Thanks HowieE, but I always thought red was positive. Or is that just on jumper cables?
RV H-D Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
There are many members here on the forums willing to help you. Ask the question and you will get answers.
Yes, I might get an answer but that doesn't mean I will understand the answer.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
One little thing to bring up... shop with your nose. If its not the best summer camp, beach house, neatest country store etc. 'aroma' to begin with chances are you'll never really be at ease in it until you've... well, here is my example:

I've just now made friends with my project trailer... Smell? Scrub everything and yank nasty carpet. Still smells, paint the floor. Still smells, pull bathroom drop black tank & all the plumbing & scrub all those hidden areas. Still smells, yank the galley and scrub all hidden areas. Pull wheel wells & scrubs... still smells (two plus years later) of 24/7/365 windows open - a eye watering allergic noxious waste smell... pull refrigerator and wardrobe built in & find the four 12-inch pantry shelves beside the refrigerator growing little white crystals on the hidden edges, and hidden areas of that aluminum frame with severe corrosion - the hidden steel screws holding it down had vanished from corrosion... found on next to last piece of interior left standing!

So - be patient, there will always be another trailer - and don't fear the normal hassles of ownership, the truly cared for trailer (esp. a SW Desert trailer) will demand a premium price and maybe you'll be inspected too as a prospective owner as you're having the trailer inspected - the right stuff goes both ways
Old 09-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Find a desert unit if possible,less rot from moisture. Here is the desicated example I aquired......
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f116...ils-45180.html Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I found a nice little trailer which I could use right away, from a club member who was using it regularly so it was 'ready to camp'. Best decision I ever made, because we got to enjoy it and tackle it's little problems as they came up.

...They don't all have to be a major project. Just take your time picking one out.
Everything she said!
Old 09-15-2010, 11:16 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
good advice

melody ranch offers good advice there! and to add something--my advice is to get the best one you can afford. that means the purchase price plus what you (and others who have experience) predict it will take to get it the place/condition you want it. I used that philosophy with my 56 bubble and am having a guilt-free blast rebuilding it. based on what i see in prices for the small vintage trailers I still have a lot of room before i reach the all important what I have into it ratio to: what is it actually worth. I'm not planning to sell I just want a rational approach to the project. a complete rebuild does cost a ton of money--but you get to build it how you want it. I'd take your time and you'll probably get lucky with a camp ready trailer. Look for one that needs more cosmetic fixes verses structural, major mechanical and complete system rebuilds. Take a look at vintagetrailersupply.com to see some prices of hardware, appliances, and other stuff. It helps you determine a budget for buying. In all of my shoping--i believe the Caravel model is one of the best "sleeper" bargains in the smaller to midsize vintage models. see if any more come up in great condition. good luck. cheers--ted
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:08 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Wabbiteer, thanks for the smell test advise. My first thought is always that the carpet is the culprit. But your experience disproves that theory.

Diesel1, You've had quite a journey with your AS. Nice to find another Arizonan here. I've camped at Burro Creek! = )

The544man, all good advise that I will utilize. Thanks. Some sellers seem to think that the new carpet and curtains they put in makes it renovated. hahahahah!!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
An Airstream doesn't have to be perfect to be lovable and useable. If a few lights don't work - use a battery powered lantern. Water supply - carry a few blue jugs of drinking water. Eventually you can fix little things as you feel like it. Just enjoy the adventure as you go along.

Good advice to stay away from major work if you aren't ready for it though. Lots of "stick & tin" trailers have wood rot in the framing 2x2's... and that's structural!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:32 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Is repair work fun?

Perhaps more important than your current knowledge of plumbing, electric, etc. is your attitude toward such things. Do you like to work on things and make them right?

Basic electric wiring, plumbing, carpentry are all easy to learn if you start at the beginning of the task and take it one step at a time. Good books are available on the subjects you need. People on the Forums are great about helping, and there is probably a lot of knowledge available from your family, friends, and neighbors.

If you consider such things fun and an opportunity to learn, go for it!

If you consider such tasks drudgery, don't mess with it.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
mimiandrews, I'm beginning to see this as a new adventure and I'm never too old to learn new stuff. I've always enjoyed fixing things that I understand how they work and why they broke. There's just a lot of stuff on RVs that I don't understand how they work. But like I said, I'm not too old to learn.
Thanks!!!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
My Spiffy is for sale - for way less than I have into it, and the systems have all been tested .... 1966 Custom 22 foot Trailer - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV H-D Lady View Post
I'm getting the sense that one needs to be an accomplished plumber, electrician, carpenter and mechanic to be a happy Vintage Airstream owner. None of which I am. I find myself getting discouraged and browsing Craig's List for an ugly, white SOB box instead. I'm a pretty handy little woman, but I wonder if I'd be getting in over my head with a Vintage unless it's been completely updated. I can't afford a new AS.

Any words of encouragement?
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:16 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem View Post
My Spiffy is for sale - for way less than I have into it, and the systems have all been tested .... 1966 Custom 22 foot Trailer - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale
Spiffy Gem certainly lives up to her name. Unfortunately I'm going to have to settle for something not quite so $piffy. I'm so sorry you have to sell her. You put so much work and love into her. I hope she finds a new loving family.

Sally