Old 01-31-2014, 12:52 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Land Yacht
Oakton , Virginia
Wonderful discussion.

The business analysts remind us to center on our core competencies. Also, researching historic prices and projecting future prices makes decisions easier and more useful.

Costs to consider are: interest on inventory, insurance, taxes, licensing, transport, and suitable storage. The best hand and power tools take money and need safe storage.

How will the neighbors react? It can get tense when rude, "open carry" neighbors drop in just before calling the police multiple times.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Airstream Forums mobile app

Old 02-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
charleton , Illinois
First of all, do you already have the needed skills to undertake this type of renovations.
Secondly, do you have the tools needed, and I'm not talking about just a toolbox of hand tools. Welder, compressor, cutting torch, full set of automotive hand tools, table saw, drill press, planer, jointer,(grinders hand and shop) hydraulic jacks, electricians specialized tools, plumbers tools, carpenters hand tools, just to name a few but certainly not all that may be needed.
Thirdly, do you have a shop you can work in. While you can leave the airstream outdoors and renovate it, indoors the repairs will go easier, and leaving a project open to the elements creates extra work.
If your the type of person that does most, if not all the repairs on your own home for example, from installing a new water heater, plumbing or electrical repairs, to adding on a room addition or if you are the type of person who does their own auto repairs, from a complete break job, or replacing ball joints in your cars front end for example, then you may be successfull.
I'm not trying to discourage you, but I follow this and several other Airstream sites, and see an awfully lot of "projects" up for sale.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
I’m chiming in a little late in the discussion here, but i agree with most of the folks here.
Flipping an Airstream for profit is hard, if you do your work right. I have had good luck myself in re-selling Airstreams, that i bought, used and repaired, to make them useable.. but by no means a total restoration. I have also rebuild frames and working currently on a new project. It is just a hobby, and the little money i get out of it for my Labor is going in tools to do the next project.. and believe me, there are a lot of tools needed to do the job right.. I do believe, as mentioned earlier, it is easier to re-build or even restore a camper for someone, instead of doing your own. just make sure, you keep track of time and material and work as funds are available, so you don’t burn yourself.. (don’t ask how i know that.. )

Whatever you decide, always remember to start a post on here and show your progress.. make plenty of pictures, so future “customers” or buyers can see your product.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #32

Enterprise , Alabama
Thanks everyone for the great input and advice. After much reflection, I have decided to move forward with the plan - nothing ventured, nothing gained. I will certainly do my best to keep a running diary of the work and will undoubtedly be posting questions here as I go. You are a wealth of knowledge as a community, one I look forward to being a part of. Again, thank you - your insight is appreciated.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooleus View Post
Thanks everyone for the great input and advice. After much reflection, I have decided to move forward with the plan - nothing ventured, nothing gained. I will certainly do my best to keep a running diary of the work and will undoubtedly be posting questions here as I go. You are a wealth of knowledge as a community, one I look forward to being a part of. Again, thank you - your insight is appreciated.
Flipping an Airstream to one's liking, thinking, taste, and pleasures is all nice.

But selling what you felt was a great deal, to hopefully someone that has similair tastes, is another ball game.

And then, if you expect to make some money or even break even, it becomes a double header ball game.

If someone wants to do a flip job, to have something to do to keep themselves busy, that's great, but don't expect too many rewards should you decide to sell it.

Doing a custom job, for a customer, indeed can be rewarding, if done right.

Ask Frank, he knows all to well.

Andy