Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Woops - will this cost me?!

So - first let me say hello air forums - I've been super busy and distracted and not been on here in a while...hope everyone is doing great!

I winterized my airstream 4 nights ago.

In the process - somehow I left the water pump on....and just tonight went in to trailer to get something and heard it running...

Not sure what this is going to mean

Cannot believe I did that! This will be an all time record dumb dumb move for me lately!!

Any advice at this point

My next scheduled trip will be the end of April.

Advice appreciated!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Well at least you didn't hook the black tank flush hose upthinking it was your fresh water intake. Missed the mess by 1"!
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome back...

Rat's...hate it when that happens......two daze on an empty tank is my personal best.

SFSG...6yrs ago and pump still going strong.

Bob
Old 02-01-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Well maybe I'll survive

Hahaha sbb - oh man that was close !!!!!!!! Hahahaha

Old 02-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It'll be fine. It's a diaphragm pump and doesn't need water as a coolant or friction reducer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I believe the manufacturer states that they can be run dry..... but for four days? You could get a another jug of antifreeze and see if it will still pump it. A cheap test so you won't be surprised come April.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I just came back from trailer and realized I used all my pink stuff - so I'll pick some up tomorrow and test it out - must have gotten a bit of air in the system somewhere - I thought I worked pink stuff in every single place then took off the winterization kit - probably right when I did that some air got in and I did not notice

Old 02-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Is anything leaking? If not, I think you should be ok there. The pump may have had its' life shortened by a few hours. But that's just a guess.

Others may have different (and maybe more correct) view.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
It'll be fine. It's a diaphragm pump and doesn't need water as a coolant or friction reducer.

Thanks - that is reassuring!

Old 02-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
Did it last fall. Cost me $125 for new pump. Kicked myself in the butt then thought, it could have been a lot worse, now I have a new water pump.
curnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Possibly it will still be fine - I believe earlier pumps could not tolerate this, but some newer models can survive running dry. We have done it with no apparent ill effect.

Likewise, leaving a hot water heater electrical element on with no water in the tank would likely burn out the element on earlier models.

Somehow we managed to leave hours switched on after winterizing (no water in the tank) for quite a few hours whenonshore power. Most likely the HW heater electrical switch was switched on by someone thinking it was the light switch! Could only have been me or one other person!)

When I discovered it and switched it off, I figured the element would be shot. Of course I blamed that other person! But it was fine.

Then I read someplace in the manual that the newer HW elements could survive this. Still not something I would do intentionally to test it though!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Well no leaks around the pump - so far so good - I'll test it all out tomorrow and see that it holds pressure no prob

Old 02-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

Somehow we managed to leave hours switched on after winterizing (no water in the tank) for quite a few hours whenonshore power. Most likely the HW heater electrical switch was switched on by someone thinking it was the light switch! Could only have been me or one other person!)

Brian
You must have the same switch panel in the bath as me. It always bothered me the switches were so close. Now when I winterize and drain the heater, I put a strip of masking tape over that switch.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
If it was running when you went back to the trailer then it works. We mistakenly leaves ours on a lot. Seems fine.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post

Somehow we managed to leave hours switched on after winterizing (no water in the tank) for quite a few hours when on shore power. Most likely the HW heater electrical switch was switched on by someone thinking it was the light switch! Could only have been me or one other person!)

When I discovered it and switched it off, I figured the element would be shot. Of course I blamed that other person! But it was fine.

Brian
My ex could do no wrong, so I always blamed myself for things gone wrong. The problem was... she was ok with that. Never sweat the small stuff, life is too short for that. Pharmgeek your thread shows me I'm normal...what a relief. Turn a negative into a positive...now you have a excuse to get the quieter pump. Good to see your back posting again.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 20' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
A water pump is one of the easiest thing to replace in your AS and one of the worst things to go wrong while camping. For that reason I always carry a spare. If it where me I would by a new one and store it in the AS. You may or may not have damaged your water pump, but eventually it will go bad and probably at the worst possible time.
AIRTRVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Good point about a spare!

Old 02-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #18
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
You must have the same switch panel in the bath as me. It always bothered me the switches were so close. Now when I winterize and drain the heater, I put a strip of masking tape over that switch.
I built a plexiglas box that goes over the two WH switches so that we can't turn one on by mistake.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
What is that saying.... "necessity is the mother of invention".
Old 02-02-2016, 03:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
I believe the manufacturer states that they can be run dry..... but for four days? You could get a another jug of antifreeze and see if it will still pump it. A cheap test so you won't be surprised come April.
Quote:
It seems that the placement of those switches in the bathroom isn't the only 'misthought"
It seems that there are a number of design 'placements' that were installed without any thought to the dynamics of usage.
One wonders what the design team is thinking, if indeed they DID think at all!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote