Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Bakersfield , California
Wiring Help and Indentification 1975 Sovereign 31'

I am having difficulty in blowing a fuse in my TV every time I try to attach the pig tail to the AS. I have not been able to get the running lights to work. It appears all other external light work.

HELP what is the following device and can it be causing my short or ground issue... See below

There is a rectangle device to the left in the picture with three wires attached. One of the wires is the blue Charge wire attached to the wiring 7 pin inside the AS.

Can anyone identify what this box is? Or is used for? There is a patent number of 2720416

Attachment 185759

Attachment 185760

Thanks

Chad
H2olite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Has the trailer wiring been updated?
Blue wire on your trailer was originally the charge line.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Bakersfield , California
Yes, I have matched the blade plug in from my TV to match the wiring on the AS's 7 pin plug.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2olite View Post
Yes, I have matched the blade plug in from my TV to match the wiring on the AS's 7 pin plug.
Okay, that at least takes the mismatched industry standards out of the equation.

Btw, your links are broken, they just take you to an invalid file.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Bakersfield , California
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring 1.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	185780

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring 2.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	185781

Thank you for letting me know about the link. It came from my cell. I will attempt to repost below

First picture needs rotating 90 degrees
Old 05-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I had a similar problem and was able to find where it was located.. sort of..
My brakes would go full tilt on no matter how I adjusted the brake controller.. then if I used the turn signals while I was breaking, the brakes would release when the flasher came on the back to full on when the flasher went off..

What i would do is turn on the running lights then remove the wires one by one from where they are attached in picture 1. when your lights come on, which ever wire is not attached is where the problem is. If they never come on, then the problem is in the running light circuit ( mine are the green wires).

In my case it was the emergency trailer brake thing wire.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Whatever that green wire is, it's grounded. On mine, the green wire goes to the running lights. If your is the same, it would certainly bow at least one fuse while connected that way. The white wire should be the ground. Try unhooking the green wire from that stud, and see if the fuse stops blowing.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
What fuse is blowing in the TV? Lighting, charging, battery isolation?
In answer to your original question... The rectangular box is a circuit breaker.
It's rated at 20-30 amps.(I don't remember off the top of my head). Keeps the TV from inadvertantly pumping raw alternator amperage into damaged/shorted trailer wiring or battery.
It's probably not the cause of your running light concern. I'm not near the wiring manual for the 1972's but I believe there is a fuse on the panel for the running lights.
If the panel and fuse are OK then the short is either in the umbilical or main harness in the trailer.
If you can seperate the circuits and disconnect wires at the receptical on the front of the trailer, and the TV fuse doesn't blow, you'll know if it's trailer or umbilical TV.

Hope that helps for now,
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Bakersfield , California
The trailer lights or running lights fuse is blowing in my GMC TV.

The green wire you see is a wire that I had and was trying to attaché to my ground and create a new ground. It didn't work as hoped.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Bakersfield , California
Thanks Tom for identifying the box! I will continue my trial and error until I solve this wiring issue!

Tags
sovereign