Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #61
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Have you tried getting antifreeze into the black tank flush line, Pharm? Tough to do!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Didn't I read on another thread a couple years ago that someone had an Interstate with the black tank flush fitting check valve inserted backwards? Maybe they did it again?
Old 10-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Protag, it's not on backwards (i.e. it pushes inwards to open, springs back out to close). Just very difficult to push it in and add antifreeze at the same time. The opening around the check valve is small. Also, air pressure didn't appear able to open it at my compressor output setting of 40-50 psi (just judging from the sound, little air went in).

I did manage to get in about 250 mls. of antifreeze with a squeeze bottle.

Had no trouble using the line to flush the tank with water a few times this summer.

I'm not gonna worry about it, I'm pretty sure (knock on wood) that this flush line self-drains.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Protag, it's not on backwards (i.e. it pushes inwards to open, springs back out to close). Just very difficult to push it in and add antifreeze at the same time. The opening around the check valve is small. Also, air pressure didn't appear able to open it at my compressor output setting of 40-50 psi (just judging from the sound, little air went in).

I did manage to get in about 250 mls. of antifreeze with a squeeze bottle.

Had no trouble using the line to flush the tank with water a few times this summer.

I'm not gonna worry about it, I'm pretty sure (knock on wood) that this flush line self-drains.
That's my take as well ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
More on black tank flusher

Back on Oct. 7, I mentioned that the blank tank flusher was supposed to be OK without being winterized, then Protag pointed out that even if the device was OK, there could be water in a low point in the attached lines.

So I got out my belt and suspenders and air compressor, and gave it a tank of air. The air blew through as you would expect. The air tank emptied in maybe a minute. Also, my wife had the toilet open when I did it, both to make sure the pressure would be released, and to see if anything happened in there. She reported seeing a little water spray. So points to Protag.

By the way, with the size compressor I have (1 hp, 10 gallon tank), I use a process like what richw46 described: Let the compressor charge, blow out a sink, let it charge again, repeat as needed.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:04 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Back on Oct. 7, I mentioned that the blank tank flusher was supposed to be OK without being winterized, then Protag pointed out that even if the device was OK, there could be water in a low point in the attached lines.

So I got out my belt and suspenders and air compressor, and gave it a tank of air. The air blew through as you would expect. The air tank emptied in maybe a minute. Also, my wife had the toilet open when I did it, both to make sure the pressure would be released, and to see if anything happened in there. She reported seeing a little water spray. So points to Protag.

By the way, with the size compressor I have (1 hp, 10 gallon tank), I use a process like what richw46 described: Let the compressor charge, blow out a sink, let it charge again, repeat as needed.

That is a most excellent report! Thanks

I now need a compressor on my Christmas list

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:40 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post

Interesting, SSquared. When I blew my line, it seemed like little if any air went past the stop valve. I had reduced my air pressure down to about 40-50 psi, maybe I should have blown it at the full tank pressure, about 100 psi.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #67
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Interesting, SSquared. When I blew my line, it seemed like little if any air went past the stop valve. I had reduced my air pressure down to about 40-50 psi, maybe I should have blown it at the full tank pressure, about 100 psi.
Or maybe you should have held the toilet valve open so the air could leave the tank as fast as it went in; the vent alone may not be large enough to let the compressed air out that fast.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Or maybe you should have held the toilet valve open so the air could leave the tank as fast as it went in; the vent alone may not be large enough to let the compressed air out that fast.
Maybe. If the trailer were parked here at home, I'd give it another blow. As is, I think I got enough antifreeze in to solve the problem.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Concerning air compressors, oil filled vs non oil filled. I'm no expert on the subject, but believe I've read on the forum that non oil filled is preferred to prevent chances of oil contaminated air being pumped in the water lines. Two years ago I used my oil filled since it has more output, this year, today as a matter of fact, I used my smaller non oil filled compressor to be on the safe side. Would be interested in hearing from some of the more experienced folks on the subject, if there is any difference re safety.