Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I guess that makes sense.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
oh crap...I had not thought about the black tank sprayer or the city water check valve both requiring compressed air....

I thought with my antifreeze through water pump to all places + p traps + a bit in black tank + a bit in grey tank I was in the clear....

I think that black hose that came with the trailer may be a little stupid 4-5 foot extension for the propane access port on the trailer? I could be wrong though....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Few (none?) of the RV winterization lists I've seen have included blowing out the black tank flush line. I wonder why it would have a check valve, you'd think it would be designed to self-drain ...
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
I wonder why it would have a check valve, you'd think it would be designed to self-drain ...
It's actually by RVIA code (and municipal ordinances as well) that you must have some sort of back-flow preventer to keep wastewater from back-feeding into a municipal water source in the event of a loss of water pressure. That back-flow preventer is a check valve on your black tank, an air gap between your sink faucet and the top of a full sink, etc.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Protagonist...I guess if there were ever water damage to that valve, the flushers would still work? but backflow prevention wouldnt? would be hard to notice? Mine was not flushed last year and may or may not have seen damage with multiple exposures of temps in the low teens here in Alabama believe it or not.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Durn. And she's already put away for the winter 60 miles from home!
Old 10-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Has anyone used a 12VDC Harbor Freight comp. If so which model? Have thought of mounting one where 2nd battery mount is. Could use for ties and winterize. Would not need to carry the larger 120v model.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Protagonist...I guess if there were ever water damage to that valve, the flushers would still work? but backflow prevention wouldnt? would be hard to notice? Mine was not flushed last year and may or may not have seen damage with multiple exposures of temps in the low teens here in Alabama believe it or not.
I think you have it right. A failed check valve could allow water to pass in both directions, so the tank flusher would still work even if the check valve froze.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #23
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I hadn't thought about opening the valve during the evacuation of the tank flush. The tank vents to the outside anyhow so there's no pressure build up. So, to answer your question - I do not and don't see the need. I simply try to get a good end of season flush before I bring it home. I store my AS at my son's house and do not have a dump station there. Then winterize when I get a chance.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you've used the municipal water hookup, I'd still blow the lines, so that you can clear the water from the check valve in the water intake, if nothing else. Pumping antifreeze through the lines doesn't help with that.
This is an interesting point and it certainly sounds worth blowing the lines as well as using plumbing antifreeze to ensure the system is thoroughly protected - I will probably do that in future years!

But having said that, I have only used antifreeze for each of the six years we have owned our trailer, and never even thought about blowing the lines to protect the check valve!

Despite this oversight I have never had any problem with the check valve in Spring time.

It certainly gets cold enough up here north of the border, so that makes me wonder why I have not had a problem.

Maybe I have just been lucky somehow - or maybe the check valve is designed in such a way that there insufficient "dead space" in the valve design to trap water that can then freeze and cause a problem?

Seems it would make good sense to design the check valve that way and it certainly should be possible! I have never examined the valve.

Anyone know?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you've used the municipal water hookup, I'd still blow the lines, so that you can clear the water from the check valve in the water intake, if nothing else. Pumping antifreeze through the lines doesn't help with that.
What you say makes sense.
My low point drain valve is a couple inches below my water inlet pipe's high point, and about 4-5' away. I can open the valve, where the outlet is 8" lower, and watch the water siphon out. This siphoning action pulls the air through the inlet then the pressure regulator that is inline. In my trailer I can literally see the water/bubbles inside the pipes through the translucent pipe walls, flowing until there is only the air that has been pulled in. I have never blown out this line. One other thing that might have saved my bacon is that my parking spot is graded so that my inlet pipes actually drains toward my low point drain naturally. My trailer sat in 0 degree temperatures with no heat on during winter without issue. My neglected battery did freeze though.

(now that I've jinxed myself by saying this you know my pipes, now full of antifreeze, will freeze and break this winter, maybe I'll go dig out the compressor and give it a blow)
Old 10-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you blow out the black tank flush line you darn well better have the dump valve open or you mat be buying a new tank.

having never seen any reason to use the black tank flush line I have never addressed it. That line is for those that never took plumbing 101 and I can't paraphrase the course here without getting in trouble.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
If you blow out the black tank flush line you darn well better have the dump valve open or you mat be buying a new tank.
Not sure why you say this? A few millilitres of water purged from the lines shouldn't hurt anything (most have a little antifreeze already in the tank); nor should 30 psi air.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
That is a plastic tank and not designed to be pressurized. If over pressurized by an amateur the tank may fail before the toilet leaves the floor and hit the ceiling.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote