Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Window Leak

I have 1988, AS 34', Excella that has developed a water leak around one of the small, oblong, non-opening window that is mounted below the larger, opening window on the side of the AS. This window is mounted in an aluminum frame that is riveted to the outside skin of the AS, (lots of rivets). From the inside of the AS it looks like the glass was originally attached to the outside metal frame by adhesive. The glass appears to have separated from the adhesive along the bottom. It also appears that the inside plastic decretive trim on this window can be removed easily and the leak can be repaired from the inside. My question: Is this the proper way to fix the problem and where can I find an adhesive compound or strip to repair that will seal the window glass to the aluminum frame? Thanks for any help. It has been a couple of years since I have visited the forums
Mike Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
When I rebuilt the windows you describe on my trailer, I just glued them in place with a liberal amount of Vulkem. I also found some rubber tubing that fit between the inside frame and the glass, which I squeezed into place to help support the glass.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
From your description, it appears that you did the repair from the inside. Is this correct? Did you encounter any problems removing the inside trim?
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Post a picture of the inside frame/trim, just to ensure we're talking about the same window.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I will not be able to post an inside picture for a while, I am in FL and the AS is in TN, go figure.
The decorative trim inside is riveted to the inside alum skin by 6-8 rivets and looks like it can be easily removed. This trim is about 2 inches per side large than the window frame. I appears that the window glass could be easily remove and reinstalled. There does not appear to be an inside portion to the alum window frame. It looks like the glass is just glued in place to the alum frame.