Old 12-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Why restore an Airstream?

Why Restore an Airstream
Yes it is a lot of work to restore an Airstream. The rewards are many. And I challenge all you out there to let newbies know why.

In our case. We restored a 1963 Bambi going on 9 years ago. It's still going strong and we enjoy it when ever we can. We did our restoration when the forum was new. This forum and the people who are here really made it possible to complete the task.

Not only was the forum great help we made some great friends. And after almost 9 years we still get folks that come over and say "Wow what a great trailer you have.

Does it get any better? We haven't found anything so in the last 9 years.
Don East

NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
King of the Zebra Speedo

1974 31' Sovereign
Obrien , Florida
I have always loved the satisfaction I get when I take something that everybody else has given up on, something abandoned, headed to scrap, and make it useable again. I've taken this Airstream from derelict to desirable. I'm not half finished, and have people asking when it will be ready to loan out (had two this week... Like that will EVER happen). Ok, so it's feeding my pride, but I don't have a problem with that. Americans used to take pride in their work, now they seem to take pride in how much they can get from others... And don't take that as a knock on those that buy new. They worked hard for their Airstream just like I worked hard for mine.

The other reason is, I'll have slightly more than six thousand in a camper that I know everything about, that I know how it was put together, and that corners weren't cut in the assembly. I paid more than that for my last SOB, and wasn't half the camper of this one.

That, and I'm guessing, by the way I ache everyday when I'm done working on this one, that I only have about fifteen years of fun like this left in me. I'll take it while I can get it.

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of y'all at rally's. Love this forum, it has been priceless during this rebuild...

Somebody ought to clean these windows. There is a tremendous buildup of gook all over them...
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
There is a HUGE pride in ownership for us with our Airstream. We have put every ounce of work into bringing her back from unusable to a beautiful rig. Just having an Airstream means a lot to us because we understand how unique they are.

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 28
Marshall , Virginia
Ohhhhhhhhhh I so needed this thread today.
My husband was laid off, and our restoration efforts have come to a screeching halt. With things they way they are now, we debated briefly selling the trailer. We had decided not too, but just our project on hold until things straighten out a bit.
Its wonderful to read these statements as encouragement to see the project through.
1976 Argosy 28'
28Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote