Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #41
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
One person's junk is another person's treasure, but I can't imagine how this guy could even contemplate someone trying to rebuild one of these. But, then I do live in NC and we have our fair share of "characters" in the Tar Heel state....
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #42
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
A place for wounded Airstreams: more of the story

So my husband Joe and I went today to the National Recovery yard on our way home from Asheboro NC. We met and talked at length to John (see previous posts) and Joe removed a couple of door latches and screen guards and gave him $30 and were on our way. YES it is very sad and each RV has a story to tell of dreams lost. There are many non-Airstreams, as well as 8? Airstreams and an Avion parked close together and in a state of decrepitiude, with snakes, wasps, ticks and overgrowth as adornment. Here is a little more of the story:

The owner is old and tired and two years ago his contract with "the largest insurer of RVs" expired. He wants out of the business and really hopes that he could sell entire rigs and get them out of there. John said he cut up an Excella with a saws-all, and sold it for scrap. The scrap yard only ended up giving him $260 for the metal! I suspect that any offer more than $400 and less than $1000 would get you one of the mortally wounded Airstreams. As John pointed out, they have axles, and you could put tires on them and tow them or risk driving on what's on the rims if it already has tires (NOT a good idea, John!) to tow one home. John or the owner would no doubt aid you in the process of extracting a rig from the mire.

The rigs are mostly open in one way or another to the elements, but depending on what you are looking for, they could be worth the trouble and expense of getting them home. Joe saw a fairly new looking Full size refrig, for example, and hardware, doors, windows and a motley assortment of stuff that was still intact- not to mention lots of aluminum panels! Hard to tell about water heaters, furnaces, etc.

Going in the winter months makes sense for many reasons-- no ticks, snakes, hornets, greenery obscuring your view, or poison ivy. Even so, evaluating options could be a lengthy, dangerous and delicate task-- floors are rotted, for example, and you could fall through...

John is only there on Sun-Mon, as mentioned in earlier comments, because he now has a full time job elsewhere doing RV repair since the Recovery business is on the way out. He helps the old man out on a limited basis.

When you consider the cost and exclusivity of Airstream parts, perhaps one or more of the rigs would be worth the trouble and expense. In the mean time, the owner reluctantly allows parts to be removed. I told John I would pass this information on through the AS Forum, and he appeared grateful. I hope tomorrow I am not wracked with poison ivy welts! Joe picked a tick off himself; but I am happy for the door hardware, screen door guards, and to tell more of the sad story...

Kathy
whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
NJtoNC - sent you an email.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Springfield , Oregon
Need some Letters for my 67 Overlander

Hello,

Saw your post and would love to get my hands on some individual letters for the front. I Currently only have A ...TREAM Looking for An I R and S. And I would make it worth your while.

Thanks for consideration.

William Corotis
Carrara68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #45
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
I started crying when I saw the above pictures!.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Gray , Tennessee
Where is this salvage yard? NC?
izzyashdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Wow-- what fascinating pictures! How do we find the place?
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
place is called
NATIONAL RECOVERY SERVICE INC
Salvage yard in Liberty, NC
approx 20-30 miles southeast of Greensboro, NC
phone number is 336-622-7285

the owner does not want to part these trailers he wants to sell them whole.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote