Old 05-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
1975 31' Sovereign
howell , Michigan
I just got poisen ivy looking at the pictures.
I hate that plant!

larry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #30
Birdie Momma
1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
ill third that -at dinner i was telling my husband i felt so sad seeing all the personal effects. Like an abandoned home with the table all made up. still had tupperware, food items, bags, cleaning stuff, papers, books, etc. in them. someone's vacation turned horrid and that was the end. POOF! gone.

I tried tog et as many WBCCI # as i could in the shots in case anyone wanted to track um down. Great minds think alike.

on edit; could you imagine if you were the owner, then seeing these photos 20 years after your beloved airstream was wrecked? AHHH! tears my heart to pieces!

'57 Overlander | '56 Flying Cloud | '51 Spartanette
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
1966 17' Caravel
Klamath Falls , Oregon
I am curious as to what a bumper would cost that would fit a 66 caravel. I live too far away to go fetch it. Thanks Stefan
Stefandmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #32
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Originally Posted by Stefandmissy View Post
I am curious as to what a bumper would cost that would fit a 66 caravel. I live too far away to go fetch it. Thanks Stefan
Nothing from the 60's. See posts 22 & 23.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member
1998 30' Excella 1000
Vintage Kin Owner
Aylett , Virginia
Dan- sent you a pm.
John T.
NoMoSOBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #34
1979 31' Excella 500
1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
magnolia , Texas
where can I get tie rods front end parts for a 79 airstream motorhome ... jon thanks jon ..
jonplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Originally Posted by jonplewis View Post
where can I get tie rods front end parts for a 79 airstream motorhome
NAPA or any automotive parts store. Just ask for tie rods (or other parts) for a 1979 chevy p30 van chassis. This goes for brakes, springs, and anything else mechanic related to the driving part of the moho.
"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #36
Birdie Momma
1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
in my quest to find parts, I have located a lady who is parting 2 trailers. a 67 and 68 ambassador or longer. one is in 'saveable' shape; the other other is too far gone, off its frame, frame is twisted and rotted, no windows, etc. she has some parts from trailers she sold previously.
In trade for the parts i need, i'm helping her sell the other parts. I went this weekend and took many, many photos. there's lots of good stuff; hatch doors, body panels, interiors, lights, an entire bathroom, original faucets,etc. And parts from past trailers, too, including early 60's trailers.

Whats NOT here: glass, rear hatch, fridges...

if anyone is interested in seeing photos, go to

here are some for your easy viewing entertainment-

'57 Overlander | '56 Flying Cloud | '51 Spartanette
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #37
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois

Lauren, I am currently in the Fayetteville, N.C. area on vacation. I am interested in the screens and the tongue jack. If I could stop by somewhere on my way home to Illinois to see them I would likely purchase them. If there is an address and a phone number that you could PM me I would make arrangements to meet you or her. Please let me know. Ed
1967 Safari Twin "Landshark" w/International trim package
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat!
When I looked at the tire... I noticed your CAT!"
Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #38
1971 23' Safari
Lake placid , New York
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I could use a tambour piece for my entertainment center area. I can get the measurements if you think you can find something. This would be easy to mail.

I am considering selling all the tambor from my just arrived 1971 safari. I am doing a complete resto and don't think I will be keeping it. email me if you are interested. It is medium brown various sizes
andreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member
1969 27' Overlander
Ehrhardt , South Carolina
Where is the salvage yard??

Please let me know where this salvage yard is. I live in SCThanksDave
oldcar29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #40
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
I just came across an extensive list of locations that seem to be handling RV's or RV parts. Check out the following:

NOTE: lots of info. however, last update was in 2004
StreamNTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
One person's junk is another person's treasure, but I can't imagine how this guy could even contemplate someone trying to rebuild one of these. But, then I do live in NC and we have our fair share of "characters" in the Tar Heel state....
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #42
1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
A place for wounded Airstreams: more of the story

So my husband Joe and I went today to the National Recovery yard on our way home from Asheboro NC. We met and talked at length to John (see previous posts) and Joe removed a couple of door latches and screen guards and gave him $30 and were on our way. YES it is very sad and each RV has a story to tell of dreams lost. There are many non-Airstreams, as well as 8? Airstreams and an Avion parked close together and in a state of decrepitiude, with snakes, wasps, ticks and overgrowth as adornment. Here is a little more of the story:

The owner is old and tired and two years ago his contract with "the largest insurer of RVs" expired. He wants out of the business and really hopes that he could sell entire rigs and get them out of there. John said he cut up an Excella with a saws-all, and sold it for scrap. The scrap yard only ended up giving him $260 for the metal! I suspect that any offer more than $400 and less than $1000 would get you one of the mortally wounded Airstreams. As John pointed out, they have axles, and you could put tires on them and tow them or risk driving on what's on the rims if it already has tires (NOT a good idea, John!) to tow one home. John or the owner would no doubt aid you in the process of extracting a rig from the mire.

The rigs are mostly open in one way or another to the elements, but depending on what you are looking for, they could be worth the trouble and expense of getting them home. Joe saw a fairly new looking Full size refrig, for example, and hardware, doors, windows and a motley assortment of stuff that was still intact- not to mention lots of aluminum panels! Hard to tell about water heaters, furnaces, etc.

Going in the winter months makes sense for many reasons-- no ticks, snakes, hornets, greenery obscuring your view, or poison ivy. Even so, evaluating options could be a lengthy, dangerous and delicate task-- floors are rotted, for example, and you could fall through...

John is only there on Sun-Mon, as mentioned in earlier comments, because he now has a full time job elsewhere doing RV repair since the Recovery business is on the way out. He helps the old man out on a limited basis.

When you consider the cost and exclusivity of Airstream parts, perhaps one or more of the rigs would be worth the trouble and expense. In the mean time, the owner reluctantly allows parts to be removed. I told John I would pass this information on through the AS Forum, and he appeared grateful. I hope tomorrow I am not wracked with poison ivy welts! Joe picked a tick off himself; but I am happy for the door hardware, screen door guards, and to tell more of the sad story...

whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote