Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Asheville , North Carolina
White goop sealant...

I recently had a fantastic fan intalled in my '65 Safari. I never asked how the exterior trim ring would be installed....assumed that it would be sealed and riveted. Instead this is what i got. Appears that the plastic trim was screwed in and this junk was poured all around to seal the unit. No question it is water tight but IMO looks pretty bad. Anyone have any comments about this? Is there a better way...more in line with the traditional way fan shroud should look?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goop.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	231099  
jjkitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Looks just like mine. Must be a couple of tubes used to seal my front fan.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Had my second FF installed (very capably) at the (old) factory. It looks like that and works fine. I only see it once or twice a year.

Follow us at two bikes + an Airstream. http://Airgo.blogspot.com

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at https://airgo.blogspot.com
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Looks like my factory roof cawlking job !
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The installation is done this way because it is easy. It would only take an additional 5 minutes to mask it off and do it properly. Just because a technician does this kind of work as a profession does not mean that they are a professional.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkitt View Post
I recently had a fantastic fan intalled in my '65 Safari. I never asked how the exterior trim ring would be installed....assumed that it would be sealed and riveted. Instead this is what i got. Appears that the plastic trim was screwed in and this junk was poured all around to seal the unit. No question it is water tight but IMO looks pretty bad. Anyone have any comments about this? Is there a better way...more in line with the traditional way fan shroud should look?
Seems to be an RV standard installation using Dicor or Sikaflex self leveling sealant or something similar. Looks just like all the vents on top on my Airstream. It won't leak...at least for several years. The only time I see mine is when I wash the roof, or look out a second story window.

There is a product called Eternabond, kind of like a tape, that comes in gray that can be used around vents but I cannot attest to it's effectiveness at stopping leaks as I haven't used it. Here is a link to a video showing how it's used. The part showing it used on vents starts at about the 2:50 mark.

Maybe you can apply this over the Dicor to make it look better.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:32 PM   #7
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I can attest to the effectiveness of the Eternabond tape. I used their Alumibond on the roof of our Avion. Great stuff!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:33 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Asheville , North Carolina
Well thanks for the comments. I suppose you do not really see the roof too often. My only concern now is how it will look when I run my polisher up to it. Suppose it will turn dark gray or blackish when the pad rubs over it. Oh well...
jjkitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Modern Airstreams have a white painted roof. I believe it is for cooling. The caulking blends in pretty well with the paint.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote