Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum

Old 07-17-2016, 06:20 AM   #29

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
Interesting thread and lots of useful tips and suggestions. In the end, only you and your husband can decide what to do and when and how much to spend.

Some of the items you mentioned are simple add-ons - TPMS for instance. Do that later. It's several hundred dollars - does provide peace of mind but certainly not mandatory for your trailer.

Tire size and availability of different tire types P vs LT are certainly things to consider. I believe that's an upgrade that can be done later. The ride height will be affected by 1/2" or so but that's pretty minor in the scheme of things. Most hitch stingers only adjust in 1" increments. Hensley has welded stingers and my memory says they only come in 1" or more increments. My point is the hitch selection and tire size don't have to be made at the same time.

Hitch versus axles/brakes. Both very important. However, towing with worn axles can cause several problems. Ride height will be affected and the resiliency of the rubber will be nil. New axles seem mandatory to me.

Brakes are certainly a variable to be considered. Larger drum brakes seem the way to go if you decide to stay with drums. Discs are more expensive but wow do they ever stop better and make brake inspection and servicing so much easier. We added disc brakes to our trailer and it is hands down the best mechanical/safety upgrade we've made.

We have an early model Reese dual-cam hitch and it works fine for us. I can certainly imagine the Hensley or Pro-Pride are great upgrades. Upgrading the hitch is something that can be done at a later date without taking the trailer out of commission for long.

Lucius and Danielle
1992 29' Excella Classic
1996 GMC Suburban C2500 7.4L
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:43 AM   #30
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm struggling to understand all this advice for a Hensley hitch. If I was $$$ constrained and trying to prioritize, spending that kind of money on a hitch would be much lower on my priority list. I understand some folks think these hitches are great, but there are perfectly functional hitches at a fraction of that cost.

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:47 AM   #31
Rivet Master
1975 27' Overlander
Mission , Texas
Which would you rather? Better brakes, better hitch, or better wheels/tires?

If it isn't broken, why fix it?

Axles supposedly only live about 25 years or less, even though we just moved our 75 with original axles 1,400 miles and it towed just fine.

WD hitch, if the nose of your TV goes up when hitched, you'd be better off with one. Again our 1,400 mile tow, normal hitch, the F250 didn't know it was back there other than a drop in fuel mileage.

Disc brakes ... (me personally) why?

16" wheels ... see disc brakes. The original 7.00x15 tires on our 75 made contact with the lead edge of the wheel well, so replacement tires we're smaller.

nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote