Old 04-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #15
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy1970AS View Post
As quite as the honda 3000 handi!
Don't be fooled by the published db numbers. Different companies measure the sound level from different distances from the generator.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #16
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
Gen set

Another option is to buy Yamaha 2300 IS which can run 13500 A/C. This unit is little larger than 2000 units however you don't have to pair them to run the A/C. Good luck

Old 04-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
two honda 2000's is louder than 1 honda 3000?

Stoopid question perhaps, but recall reading something regarding this point??

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I will update with links and answer question as soon as I am back at my laptop, driving and posting is not a great idea.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Actually, the Honda 3000 (normal) is quieter than ONE Honda 2000.

Also remember that two Honda 2000's noise rating is not double of a single one. I let an acoustic engineer explain that one, cause I can't! Something to do with combined frequency wave lengths or other black hole Steven Hawkins theory.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Actually, the Honda 3000 (normal) is quieter than ONE Honda 2000.

Also remember that two Honda 2000's noise rating is not double of a single one. I let an acoustic engineer explain that one, cause I can't! Something to do with combined frequency wave lengths or other black hole Steven Hawkins theory.
Two 2000s are 3dB louder than one 2000. Double the noise is an increase of 3dB.

It basically has to do with how logarithms work; the only way I know is that I'm old enough to remember when pocket calculators were called slide rules.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Note here that the 3000i Handi is not as quiet as the full-size Honda 3000iS or the Yamaha EF3000iSEB. It *is* lighter than either of those, though.

There's no free lunch here. I grumble about my heavy EF3000iSEB when I have to load it in the truck, but I appreciate it every time I hear a pair of 2k generators running, or a 3000i Handi.
True the EF3000iSEB is the most quite of the 3000 watt generators but the Handi and Champion is very close second. I researched this topic extensively before puling the trigger, cause I didn't want to be the "that guy" with the loud generator while camping. As an accessory; there is a sound proof and fire proof tent that is made for the champion you can buy at Supergen.com that will drop 8-9 DB off of the Champion making it even more quite than the EF, but to me its so quite already that when I am running outside in the garage with the doors open I can't even hear it inside the house. Instead of the tent I will use the money for beer.

Here is a good video and a great review this guy did, watch it an report back
Old 04-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommythrice View Post
So, I need about 3000w to run a/c. Two options:
1) 3000w - Cheaper than 2x2000, and has remote start.
2) 2x2000 - Easy to carry, more efficient (turn one off), and I can take only one when a/c isn't needed.

Thanks for the input!
Mommy,
To run a 13500 AC unit you need either two Yamaha/Honda 2000 and a 30 plug adapter or you need a Generator putting out at least 2500 watts. Any of the 3000 watt inverter generators Honda/Yamaha/Champion can run the 13500 AC without a problem.

1) Only some of the 3000 models offer remote start, but you will be paying for it. I have been using the Champion at my lake property until I get city electrical service and starts on the first pull every time, and its not like a lawn mower where your throwing your back out, its very easy to start.

2) Two 2k gens are indeed lighter to carry if you have back problems, my wife can pick a 2k gen loaded with gas and oil just barley, so its not like she is can slip it under her arms, she has to use both hands and can move it about a few feet. The Champion she can't pickup but she doesn't need too, it has a nice sturdy handle and wheel to pull around. The only time you ever have to lift it is when I put in the back of pickup, rest of the time I am pulling it too.

Hope it helps.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
It will be interesting to see what way you decide....
I'm also looking at the options and really don't know what to do either. The price of either the Honda or Yamaha scares the hell out of me. So it would be interesting to see the noise level difference with the Champion as it's price point in a lot more attractive.
Watch the Video see and research for yourself and you will come to the same conclusion that I did! That for the money there is nothing out there that comes close to this little yellow machine. The Yamaha and Honda mafia will try to sway you to steer clear cause they got roped into paying nearly 2200 or more for what your getting in every respect for 658. shipped to your door.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
I'm too poor to be cheap.

A couple of years ago, I bit the bullet and bought a Honda 2000. I didn't enjoy spending the $, but now I have a genny that's is expandable, and basically should last me a really long time.

It only hurts till your next paycheck, and your neighbors will still like you!
That was my biggest concern too, didn't want to be that guy. The Champion is super quite, best money I have spent in a long time. Have used it for almost two weeks now and couldn't be happier and saved 1600. Bought a beer fridge, and three cases of beer and still have 1300 left in my pocket..... Don't tell my wife that though LOL
Old 04-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7GenTex View Post
Link please?
PM'ed you.

For those that are looking for a Gen, educate yourself first. If you then decide the Champion is the one you want, the best price I found was at overstock.com They have it there for 741.98, then you can click on the new buyer discount and get an additional 10% off. Before you say I am already a customer and don't qualify for the discount, I got news for you I was an member already too. When you click on the button whether or not your a new customer it will give you the additional 10% off at the checkout. Dropped the price to 667 sorry I said 658 before, I just check my receipt.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
An advantage to Yamahas are that the off switch cuts off the gas and you can run the carb dry. Not so on a Honda (you have to run the whole tank dry). Saves headaches and gummed up carbs.
The Champion has the shutoff valve too just like the Yama
Old 04-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I have a Honda 1000 and a Honda 3000 (original). I have also had experience with the Honda 2000 and the Yamaha 2000.

The Honda 1000 is a pretty amazing machine, if you use it carefully and understand it's limits. 29 pounds is nice too, and long run time on a two quart fuel tank, especially if lightly loaded. I live where we have frequent power outages (3 days ago it was out for 15 hours) so have my home set up with a full transfer switch. The little Honda will even run the house... yes, it will. I leave the refrigerator on, but unplug the freezer and water coolers. I have had CFL lighting for years, and use it sparingly when the power goes out but I don't sit in the dark. I have now gone to mostly Cree LED light bulbs, further reducing my lighting power use. My satellite modem internet service, router and laptop computer are also always on, and the little Honda handles the total load fine. Of course, no water pump, heat, AC, washers, hair dryers and so on.

In the trailer, the little Honda will do the PD 45 amp three stage charger, but not a 55 amp one. That is by personal experience, so I stuck with a 45 amp one when I changed out the new FC 20 converter. The Honda will do the battery charging fine, and since everything I want on usually goes through the 12 volt side, all is well. I also could make toast with it, or operate my very small microwave, but in fact leave those jobs to the inverter I have, and let the PD and Honda and solar keep the batteries up. Of course no electric water heat, or refrigerator (leave it on Propane), or AC. Just understand that the little Honda 1000 will not operate a converter/charger larger than 45 amps. It has to do with a thing called power factor (of the converter/charger) which is complex to go into.

The Honda 2000 and Yamaha 2000 are also fine machines but I only have some experience with them at a friend's off grid ranch in NM. He uses them as generator backup for his solar system. The Trace 4048 inverter he has can charge his 48 volt battery system along with the sun, and still produce sine wave power for his home. The input can be set to any generator limit, and so he sets it so the Honda or Yamaha is not overloaded. His Honda probably has 4000 to 5000 hours on it now. It is a bit tired, but still works well. It uses a little oil now. The Yamaha replacement is working as well as the Honda did, with about 800 hours on it now.

I also have a Honda 3000 given to me in pieces, a true "basket case" when I received it. After a lot of time I figured out how to put it back together and now it is running just fine. It is a great generator, just starts and runs anytime you need it. At 170 pounds it is not a lightweight, so I have it on a cart to wheel outside when I need it. The 15 hour power outage the other day forced me to get it out and run it all evening and overnight. It was lightly loaded (the 1000 could have done the job) but I wanted to run some gas through it. Anything I needed in the house could be supported by it other than the 240 volt items I have. Since I got it in parts, I have no idea how many hours it has run, but I think quite a few. Amazingly quiet. It took about 3 gal of gas to run my light load for 15 hours.

I have never used the 3000 camping. No need for it here, I don't use AC hardly ever.

So, that is my experience. For what it is worth, what you paid for it ... grin.
The weight was a big factor and it made the EF3000is an automatic no for me. It came down to the Handi, Yami 3000efis and the Champion.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Don't be fooled by the published db numbers. Different companies measure the sound level from different distances from the generator.
Yeah, the Champion is 58 DB at 23 feet. Yami is 60 DB but I could not find any literature as to how far away that was measured. The Honda the same says 65 and 57 full and 1/4 power but no mention as to how far away the measurements were taken.