Old 08-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
The battery lasts pretty good, but it takes longer and longer to re-charge every year....
And it can beat your egg whites for a nice souffle too!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
westwego , Louisiana
If you can deal with the size and the price, I'd recommend milwaukee v28 kit. It's big. It's heavy. It's a beast with a 5 year warranty. That is a contractor's workhorse. Bosch makes a nice micro driver called the litheon...12volt. For daily use by a weekender/home shop...you can't beat a decent dewalt or makita. I've noticed that my lithium batteries really hate heat though... when i work outdoors in the sun...i try to rest those tools in the shade.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I still like Mr. Makita
Old 10-14-2011, 05:28 AM   #60
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I still like Mr. Makita

Me too...

this goes with us everywhere!

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LCT200W_001.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	142584  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
Yep, that's my choice too, Bob. I used a 12V Makita cordless for 12 years, and bought two replacement batteries halfway through. Those batteries are pretty weak now, and it's time to upgraded to L-ion and 18V. I found a good deal on the Makita combo ($229) at Hank's Hardware in Temecula CA, a truly classy old-fashioned hardware store with the best collection of screws and nuts I've ever seen!

What is your recharging technique? Do you keep the batteries on the charger between uses?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspafford View Post
Yep, that's my choice too, Bob. I used a 12V Makita cordless for 12 years, and bought two replacement batteries halfway through. Those batteries are pretty weak now, and it's time to upgraded to L-ion and 18V. I found a good deal on the Makita combo ($229) at Hank's Hardware in Temecula CA, a truly classy old-fashioned hardware store with the best collection of screws and nuts I've ever seen!

What is your recharging technique? Do you keep the batteries on the charger between uses?
I know you were addressing Bob, but I'll butt in. That's the nice thing about L-ion, they have no memory like NiCad and don't self discharge very quickly. I just charge one when it runs down, mount the spare and when the original is done on the charger put it in the case.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #63
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Me too...

this goes with us everywhere!

Bob
Yep, that's what I wound up buying. Not thrilled with the bag (I'd prefer the "briefcase" style), but I am thrilled with the contents.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Makita 18 volt lithium (contractor grade) rocks.

I waited years before investing in a cordless set, because I expect to have it and use it for years. I've got to say, this stuff is awesome. Great feel in your hand and performance to match. Easy blade and bit changes, and great power. The metal shears, and impact wrench were two great surprises.
If you're ready to take the plunge, buying the multi-tool "kits" brings the price per tool down dramatically. At this point I've got just about every tool they make (bought some reconditioned), and couldn't be happier. I bought on-line from C.P.O. Tools. The only piece that I would describe as "weak" is the angle grinder/cut-off tool. No comparison to a corded 11 amp Milwaukee.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #65
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspafford View Post

dz said it....During the Season the combo stays in the AS, both batt's charged.
They charge so fast I've been able to finish all projects without any problems so far.

Oh yeah..you can never have too many screws and nutz.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
One word, Makita. If you can swing the hammer-drill option nothing will stand in your way! I think they are better priced for the quality too. JMO!
Matt
Old 11-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Proud to be , an American
Hitachi 14 volt

Hitachi 14 Volt...all the way.
they have a combo pack that includes a flashlight, and extra battery with the charger for about 150.00
The flashlight is alwayd by the AS door, and the drill is lightweight and compact
Old 11-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
i've never had anything other than dewalts...built three houses with the first one 14v then forgot to take it out of the truck tool box during one tough colorado winter with temps way down below zero for about 2 months straight and that pretty much killed that one...the drill is fine. but the batteries not so much. then bumped up to the 18v extended life batteries. i've built 5 or 6 houses with it and i'm still using it. i've never had a problem with how long the batteries last when one dies i just drop it in the charger grab the other and go and ready to go again when that one dies. i just recently bought the wife one of the new litho type...i really like it, it's small and light weight and really nice to use although i haven't really put it through the paces yet but it does seem that i lose juice a little quicker with it. i've had friends and co-workers that really like the makitas as well but i've never used one for any extended length of time so...there's that
Old 11-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
They say the Rigid drills from Home Depot have a lifetime warrantee including the batteries. I have never owned one but the batteries are a big investment to replace. I have a couple Dewalts. One is a cheapo 3/8" drill that is having a few issues but still works. The other is a 1/2" drill and it has taken a lot of abuse. You can get batteries for the Dewalts all over the place. Some of the other brands not so much.

Perry
Old 11-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have had DeWalt for years and it has always done the job