Old 07-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
I have had a lot of success with using Michalob Amber Bock, chips and salsa to borrow any expensive tool from the guy in the next campsite. It stores well in the refrigerator, and is easy to replace at Ralphs and Vons.

John and Lynn,
Silvia ('06 25' Safari SE FB) and Silvester ('05 Chevy Express 3500)
jspafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #30
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Oh, you're that guy! lol

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member
1966 30' Sovereign
Mount clemens , Michigan

I am a dewalt man for sure. I bought a ryobi set and it was worthless, battery life was horrible. I have a 18 volt Dewalt impact drill and standard drill and they have great power. I just bought a the 12 volt lithium ion combo and so far I love it. I bought it mostly for the light weight and the power will be enough for 90% of what I do. Hold a 18v nicad for any length of time and it will tire your arm out. I think for most work on an Airstream you could use the 12v and buy a corded drill for the really heavy duty drilling. Also I think it will never be a problem to get the batteries in the future because it is a popular brand backed by Black and Decker.
Brianv512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member
1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Western Slope , Colorado
I have had Hitachi, Porter Cable, DeWalt, Craftsman, Ryobi & Bosch cordless drills/tools over the years. It all depends on how much use you expect to put them through. My Bosch and DeWalt drills were the more expensive and more rugged. PC was ok but it was difficult to find batteries after the first couple of years. Craftsman was a bust... The Ryobi has been a decent set for the money. I can still buy batteries (relatively inexpensively) for the drill/saw combo I bought over 10 years ago. The batteries don't seem to last as long as some others but they are pretty inexpensive...
All that is gold does not always glitter...those who wander not always are lost....
mnmhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #33
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I brought my Ryobi cordless impact driver with us this trip. I was hoping to use it with a socket and adaptor to lower / raise our stabilizers. Well it does work, but way to noisey. I guess there's enough resistance in the stabilizer screw to put it into impact mode. Maybe some lubricant will help but I don't think so. I still like the Ryobi but not for this job.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #34
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Went right to the end without reading a single recommendation...

BOSCH. There is no other in my shop, never will. DeWalt is banned from the Works and we do not even allow their drill bits here. Not sure what others suggested, but I will tell you Bosch is the BEST.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #35
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have had quite a few over the years. Currently have the Makaita combination mentioned several times above. If it is for general purpose go with a lithium ion battery model. Best think that has come along since cordless was invented. I tend to agree with Frank. Bosh is awfully good. I got one old heavy Dewalt left. I am not going to throw it out until it quits.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Add me to the Bosch camp. I like that it's light yet powerful, plus it recharges fast. Had a Panasonic that I liked very much but it went pooft.

mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #37
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I do a lot of work with mine. Construction and remodels around our place. Plus the farm beats them pretty well. I have a set of Dewalts. Have dropped them over 20 ft. been rained on, run over and gods knows what else. They still work. Have bought new batteries as one died. I use mine at least once a week. Drill, skill saw, and saws all. I also have ryobi which is ok for small use but the batteries don't last and they aren't as powerful. Bottom line is what are you gonna use it for. working on an airstream? you don't need a high price one.. Ryobi is fine. Construction and daily use. Get a good one..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member
1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Western Slope , Colorado
I definately prefer my DeWalt and Bosch cordless tools but I have to say that for the cost Ryobi has been just great for typical "homeowner" tasks for the money, if you aren't using them day in and day out...
All that is gold does not always glitter...those who wander not always are lost....
mnmhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #39
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I received a cordless drill as a gift at my bachelor party 16 years ago from my Dad and brother. It is a Milwaukee - 12volt. I had the batteries rebuilt by a guy on ebay at a pretty reasonable price about 3 years ago. I have put the drill though a lot of abuse. It doesn't like 3" drywall screws but everything else it does well.
If I had to buy a new one today I would be hard pressed not to buy a Milwaukee but like all others they are now made of "Chinesium".
Steve, Christy, Anna and Scout (Border Collie)

1994 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger

WBCCI # 3072
AIR # 6035
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Though I have to side with Frank that Bosch is probably the best, lets face facts here. In the original post, he was looking at getting one. (never had one). I have remodeled 2 houses, and am working now on my 64. I own Dewalt saws, Bosch and Dewalt routers, Veritas hand planes (just thought I'd throw that in) and numerous other tools tablesaws, jointers, bandsaw etc. While I wouldn't dream of using a Ryobi router, I have been very pleased with my Ryobi drill. Especially the impact driver. The impact driver lasts forever. I have a few other Ryobi drills, and the batteries are decent. Here's the big win. If you follow this link, you can load up on a couple tools and get 50% off by this rebate. I just happened to see this right before your post. 50% off Ryobi One+ tools (w/rebate) -
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #41
1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Lithium Lithium Lithium

I have had so many cordless drills, that would not keep a charge, that I never wanted another one. The replacement batteries were often as costly as the drill and battery when new. Kind of like ink jet printer cartridges. For Christmas my wife bought me a lightweight small lithium battery powered one and it is amazing. Everytime I pick it up it works. Came with two batteries and I think they will hold me for awhile. It could be a bit larger and thus more suitable for larger projects. I think the key on any size drill is the lithium battery pack.
cheers, bill b.
1962 Airstream Tradewind
2001 Ford 7.3 Diesel
bilby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member
1961 24' Tradewind
Bemidji , Minnesota
Maybe a Rockwell?

I have no experience with this brand, but having owned Dewalt, Skil, Ryobi, Makita and a few cheappies, I have grown weary of the "battery games" they all seem to play, so that is why I am really tempted by Rockwell's free lifetime battery replacement offer. Their prices are not cheap but if I never have to buy a replacement battery, it would be worth it in the long run. I believe Rockwell tools have had a pretty good reputation over the years. Anybody out there have any experience with these cordless tools and their program? I have copied a portion of their offer from their website which follows:

The Lifetime Replacement Battery Agreement is available free of charge*, for a limited time commencing February 15, 2007, to purchasers of a Rockwell brand hand-held battery-powered tool purchased after that date and subject to the terms and conditions stated below.

To accept this Lifetime Free Replacement Battery Agreement, a purchaser must submit the warranty registration for the purchased product and submit proof of purchase as described below. The Lifetime Replacement Battery Agreement provides ONLY the original owner of a qualifying Rockwell® tool with a lifetime of free replacement batteries subject to the limitations set forth below.

Models Included in the Lifetime Free Replacement Program
The Lifetime Replacement Battery Agreement is available for all Rockwell hand-held battery-powered tools featuring LithiumTech, Compack or Powertank batteries.

vroom is offline   Reply With Quote