Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #41
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Lithium Lithium Lithium

I have had so many cordless drills, that would not keep a charge, that I never wanted another one. The replacement batteries were often as costly as the drill and battery when new. Kind of like ink jet printer cartridges. For Christmas my wife bought me a lightweight small lithium battery powered one and it is amazing. Everytime I pick it up it works. Came with two batteries and I think they will hold me for awhile. It could be a bit larger and thus more suitable for larger projects. I think the key on any size drill is the lithium battery pack.
cheers, bill b.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Bemidji , Minnesota
Maybe a Rockwell?

I have no experience with this brand, but having owned Dewalt, Skil, Ryobi, Makita and a few cheappies, I have grown weary of the "battery games" they all seem to play, so that is why I am really tempted by Rockwell's free lifetime battery replacement offer. Their prices are not cheap but if I never have to buy a replacement battery, it would be worth it in the long run. I believe Rockwell tools have had a pretty good reputation over the years. Anybody out there have any experience with these cordless tools and their program? I have copied a portion of their offer from their website which follows:

LIFETIME REPLACEMENT BATTERY AGREEMENT FOR ROCKWELL HAND-HELD BATTERY-POWERED TOOLS

The Lifetime Replacement Battery Agreement is available free of charge*, for a limited time commencing February 15, 2007, to purchasers of a Rockwell brand hand-held battery-powered tool purchased after that date and subject to the terms and conditions stated below.

To accept this Lifetime Free Replacement Battery Agreement, a purchaser must submit the warranty registration for the purchased product and submit proof of purchase as described below. The Lifetime Replacement Battery Agreement provides ONLY the original owner of a qualifying Rockwell® tool with a lifetime of free replacement batteries subject to the limitations set forth below.

Models Included in the Lifetime Free Replacement Program
The Lifetime Replacement Battery Agreement is available for all Rockwell hand-held battery-powered tools featuring LithiumTech, Compack or Powertank batteries.
vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Raglan , New Zealand
How much are you going to use it?

For me, the decision would come down to how much you would use it. As a tradesman, I have leaned towards Makita, having had numerous batteries reconditioned. Which in hindsight, I am not sure was viable, given some of the deals out there. As time has passed, and the Makita's show their age, I have begun phasing in Festool equipment. As Royce has said, they can be pricey, but are packed with excellent, clever features, and actually end up not only saving time, but, unbelievably, making you money. And are of a very high build quality. Ask for a demo, you will be amazed. I cannot believe how hard it is to actually find a quality product on the shelf, these days. I don't mind paying for it, if I can find it. Everything seems to be disposable these days, rather than worth repairing. Except old Airstreams of course !!

Pete
Petethefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Milwaukee? They are hitting the market hard these days. I know they used to be bullet proof. I personally have a Dewalt 18v XBR 1/2" that I have abused for 5 years now. Love it!
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Howdy!

I have several Ryobi 18v hand tools including a drill I used to operate the landing jacks and it does ok. I just purchased a Ryobi 1/2 18v impact wrench and WOW does it work better than anything I've ever used. Will never use anything else.

Ryobi P260 18volt One+ 1/2" Impact Wrench

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:59 AM   #46
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Well, I wound up going w/ the Makita. They just lowered the price on a set that was previously mentioned in this thread.

My original sticking point was on battery size. Seems that DeWalt and Makita both have sets that come with smaller and larger batteries, and I was kvetching over whether or not to go for the larger (yet WAY more expensive) lithium ion batts. There were a lot of complaints about short battery life on the smaller size lithium ion batteries that DeWalt has. (1 amp hour).
I was going to go for the Makita "large" (~3 amp hours), but when I saw the details on the set they were offering, the drill is actually a hammer drill...and as such, its bigger and heavier, and I really don't have any need for that. Their cheaper set, that also has smaller batteries, (1.5 amp hours) is just a regular drill, its smaller, lighter, and very comfortable to hold, so I went for it. (also didn't see any reviews complaining about short battery life).
I'm sure any of the drills mentioned would have fit the bill just fine, though. All would have been a huge upgrade from what I had...yet, I really can't complain about that cheap-o drill, either. I got way more than my 50 bucks worth out of it.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Randolph , Minnesota
I see that no one has mentioned Rigid brand. I have a friend that I have worked with for the last two summers that has a Rigid 18v drill and lithum battery set. The drill is very light, therefore easy to use. This drill drives 3 to 4 inch screws into wood and I am amazed at how long a battery charge lasts. In addition his drill has a lifetime guarantee including the batteries. he has had the drill rebuilt once and replaced the batteries once under the guarantee.
Hoghide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #48
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Don't like Rigid. When the chargers go bad they are pricey...if you can even get them.
I have 6 bad chargers sitting on the repair bench at work.
For day to day use we only buy Dewalt. Parts are relatively easy to get and not too expensive.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
I went with a dewalt 18v cordless from lowes a out three months ago. I paid 180 for it (minus 10% military discount). Worth every penny. I had a dewalt corded drill for the past seven years and I beat it like a red headed step child and it has never failed me.

Mine came with an led light that turns on when you start drilling. Genius addition I didn't even know about when I bought it. So far I've used it a lot and have been very pleased. My favorite use for it is putting down the stabilizers for the airstream. Saves me five minutes and a lot of cranking.

I looked at several others but decided on dewalt because of prior use of their products and the recommendation of a buddy who is a contractor.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMarine
I went with a dewalt 18v cordless from lowes a out three months ago. I paid 180 for it (minus 10% military discount). Worth every penny. I had a dewalt corded drill for the past seven years and I beat it like a red headed step child and it has never failed me.

Mine came with an led light that turns on when you start drilling. Genius addition I didn't even know about when I bought it. So far I've used it a lot and have been very pleased. My favorite use for it is putting down the stabilizers for the airstream. Saves me five minutes and a lot of cranking.

I looked at several others but decided on dewalt because of prior use of their products and the recommendation of a buddy who is a contractor.
Hijack:

Hey! I've got a redhead...(although he is my biological child and not a stepchild)
Watch it mister. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-489825692.png
Views:	119
Size:	934.5 KB
ID:	135886  
Old 07-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
Lol. I knew I'd get flack for saying that. No offense meant. One of my ex girlfriends had red headed twins and she would laugh when I would say that.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
You know, I couldn't believe that a cordless drill debate would bring out as much debate as the brand of tow vehichle, but evidentlly there have been varied experiences with varied brands. Makaita has served me very well.
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #53
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down

The battery lasts pretty good, but it takes longer and longer to re-charge every year....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89B0401.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	136031  
Old 07-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #54
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Mine is better than yours ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMarine View Post
Mine came with an led light that turns on when you start drilling. Genius addition I didn't even know about when I bought it.
I was using that very model dewalt a few weeks ago and found that little light to be rather annoying.... especially when someone is constantly shinning it in your eyes....

I prefer my 18v Dewalt without the LED light and a cost of $99 (black friday special). My husband tells me that he married me for the drill, so it must be something special!

Ash
TavnAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I have an old DeWalt 9.6 volt drill that I bought new in 2002. I got a new battery pack for it recently... I'd forgotten how much fun that drill is to use! Works great for me.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
The Best Idea So Far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspafford View Post
I have had a lot of success with using Michalob Amber Bock, chips and salsa to borrow any expensive tool from the guy in the next campsite. It stores well in the refrigerator, and is easy to replace at Ralphs and Vons.
ROTFLMAO!!!

This is the best one so far! GREAT IDEA!
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
The battery lasts pretty good, but it takes longer and longer to re-charge every year....
And it can beat your egg whites for a nice souffle too!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
westwego , Louisiana
If you can deal with the size and the price, I'd recommend milwaukee v28 kit. It's big. It's heavy. It's a beast with a 5 year warranty. That is a contractor's workhorse. Bosch makes a nice micro driver called the litheon...12volt. For daily use by a weekender/home shop...you can't beat a decent dewalt or makita. I've noticed that my lithium batteries really hate heat though... when i work outdoors in the sun...i try to rest those tools in the shade.
NOLA Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I still like Mr. Makita
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:28 AM   #60
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up