Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I've had a lot of different cordless drills over the years and I think I have a handle on it. I once read that there are only about 3 manufacturers of the motors for cordless drills. One is just ok, the other two are very very good. So it's not the motors. The key is the batteries. I remember the Milwaukee batteries were way over priced compared to equivalent batteries for Dewalt and Makita. The short of it is, I found I should research the replacement costs of batteries along with drill features.

I've also been reading up on NiCad batteries and how to "Shock" them to breakup dendrite crystals which form in the batteries and kill performance. By shocking the NiCad you can bring them back to "near new" performance, and you can shock them over and over, giving them a lifespan approaching 20 years. My current drills of choice include a Makita and a Panasonic. Both are really fine tools in their own way.

"Shock" here: http://ysuusy.com/easybatteryfix.html

Enjoy!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
I have a Bosch 24 volt with lithium batts, powerful runs for ever, would'nt trade it for any other.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #23
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
For those of us with good cordless tools and that get frustrated when the tool is still functioning but replacement batteries are not available I have a solution for at least some of us. We visit a friend in Aiken, SC and while there I've found a store called BATTERIES PLUS. I watched the guy there re-build a battery pack for a customer. It wasn't cheap but replacement batteries are not cheap either. So, if you have a battery pack that is out of production AND can find a Batteries Plus store there is hope.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Have been using 12V Lithium Dewalt that I purchased a few months ago. Huge improvement over old 12V NiCad Dewalt which still works. Love that the Lithium holds charge when not in use much better than NiCad, Lighter weight, fast charge time, and does all I need it to do
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #25
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I bought the DeWalt kit about 9 or 10 years ago. The drill/driver, circular saw, and recip saw all use the same batteries, which I can still get for over a hundred bucks each. They all still work, even here in the tropics where the salt is killer on anything electric. I have also owned a fair number of Makita, Ryobi, Sears, Bosch, and Milwaukee tools. I have moved away from Black and Decker and Skil somewhat. But I am hard on tools.

And thinking about what I will do when these last two batteries die....I think I will go with corded tools from now on. I've spent enough on batteries and chargers to have bought a Honda generator. The cost of a good quality 50 ft. extension cord is a one time expense. Corded drills are cheap. And you can basically buy all the muscle you want without having to buy, store, carry around, charge, and eventually dispose of lithium batteries. I've never had to wait even a second for a corded tool to charge. An extension cord is useful for other things.....an 18 volt, two pound, firehazard full of lithium....not so much.
The batteries are a big, expensive hassle for the convenience of not having to deal with a power cord.

When was the last time you needed to drill a hole more than 50 ft. from an electric outlet, anyway?

At home I am moving to pneumatic tools where I can, but that's impractical for me on the road.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #26

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have been using the Craftsman 19.2 drill/driver and other tools for over 10 years. I use it constantly with the Airstream for the stabilizers and the Hensley weight distribution bars. I also use the florescent work light for after dark set up and the hand held compressor for topping off the tires.

Therese tools have worked great, the batteries are relatively inexpensive, and are readily available nationwide.

As a side note, I also have the Craftsman 19.2 volt electric chain saw. This is great for light duty chain saw duty.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #27
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
We have the Milwaukee V18 drill/driver combo - very powerful (happy running hole saws through steel, big augers through multiple 2x6s) and works for a long time - 15 minute charge time as well. Only disadvantage is weight - webspinner finds it a bit heavy, and occasionally I'd like a smaller drill (particularly in the Tin Pickle's closets). Needless to say, it handles stabilizer duty w/o any problems.

For confined inside the trailer use, I'm considering a corded close quarters drill; these allow one to get a lot closer to the work w/o the bulk of the battery pack.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Over the years, I have used the Dewalt, Milwaukee and Makita. Currently own a Festool CCD12. the Festool has been the best of the bunch by far. It is, however, a little spendy. Second choice is the Makita.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
I have had a lot of success with using Michalob Amber Bock, chips and salsa to borrow any expensive tool from the guy in the next campsite. It stores well in the refrigerator, and is easy to replace at Ralphs and Vons.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Oh, you're that guy! lol
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Mount clemens , Michigan
Dewalt

I am a dewalt man for sure. I bought a ryobi set and it was worthless, battery life was horrible. I have a 18 volt Dewalt impact drill and standard drill and they have great power. I just bought a the 12 volt lithium ion combo and so far I love it. I bought it mostly for the light weight and the power will be enough for 90% of what I do. Hold a 18v nicad for any length of time and it will tire your arm out. I think for most work on an Airstream you could use the 12v and buy a corded drill for the really heavy duty drilling. Also I think it will never be a problem to get the batteries in the future because it is a popular brand backed by Black and Decker.
Brianv512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
I have had Hitachi, Porter Cable, DeWalt, Craftsman, Ryobi & Bosch cordless drills/tools over the years. It all depends on how much use you expect to put them through. My Bosch and DeWalt drills were the more expensive and more rugged. PC was ok but it was difficult to find batteries after the first couple of years. Craftsman was a bust... The Ryobi has been a decent set for the money. I can still buy batteries (relatively inexpensively) for the drill/saw combo I bought over 10 years ago. The batteries don't seem to last as long as some others but they are pretty inexpensive...
Old 07-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #33
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I brought my Ryobi cordless impact driver with us this trip. I was hoping to use it with a socket and adaptor to lower / raise our stabilizers. Well it does work, but way to noisey. I guess there's enough resistance in the stabilizer screw to put it into impact mode. Maybe some lubricant will help but I don't think so. I still like the Ryobi but not for this job.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #34
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Went right to the end without reading a single recommendation...

BOSCH. There is no other in my shop, never will. DeWalt is banned from the Works and we do not even allow their drill bits here. Not sure what others suggested, but I will tell you Bosch is the BEST.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have had quite a few over the years. Currently have the Makaita combination mentioned several times above. If it is for general purpose go with a lithium ion battery model. Best think that has come along since cordless was invented. I tend to agree with Frank. Bosh is awfully good. I got one old heavy Dewalt left. I am not going to throw it out until it quits.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Add me to the Bosch camp. I like that it's light yet powerful, plus it recharges fast. Had a Panasonic that I liked very much but it went pooft.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I do a lot of work with mine. Construction and remodels around our place. Plus the farm beats them pretty well. I have a set of Dewalts. Have dropped them over 20 ft. been rained on, run over and gods knows what else. They still work. Have bought new batteries as one died. I use mine at least once a week. Drill, skill saw, and saws all. I also have ryobi which is ok for small use but the batteries don't last and they aren't as powerful. Bottom line is what are you gonna use it for. working on an airstream? you don't need a high price one.. Ryobi is fine. Construction and daily use. Get a good one..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
I definately prefer my DeWalt and Bosch cordless tools but I have to say that for the cost Ryobi has been just great for typical "homeowner" tasks for the money, if you aren't using them day in and day out...
Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I received a cordless drill as a gift at my bachelor party 16 years ago from my Dad and brother. It is a Milwaukee - 12volt. I had the batteries rebuilt by a guy on ebay at a pretty reasonable price about 3 years ago. I have put the drill though a lot of abuse. It doesn't like 3" drywall screws but everything else it does well.
If I had to buy a new one today I would be hard pressed not to buy a Milwaukee but like all others they are now made of "Chinesium".
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Though I have to side with Frank that Bosch is probably the best, lets face facts here. In the original post, he was looking at getting one. (never had one). I have remodeled 2 houses, and am working now on my 64. I own Dewalt saws, Bosch and Dewalt routers, Veritas hand planes (just thought I'd throw that in) and numerous other tools tablesaws, jointers, bandsaw etc. While I wouldn't dream of using a Ryobi router, I have been very pleased with my Ryobi drill. Especially the impact driver. The impact driver lasts forever. I have a few other Ryobi drills, and the batteries are decent. Here's the big win. If you follow this link, you can load up on a couple tools and get 50% off by this rebate. I just happened to see this right before your post. 50% off Ryobi One+ tools (w/rebate) - Slickdeals.net
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote