Old 04-10-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
St. Petersburg , Florida
Where's the plug?

Hello,

I'm working on getting our (new to us) '76 '31 Rear Bath, LY on the road ASAP. Here's a nice little problem I could use some help with.

The PO unplugged the refrigerator because of a problem with the freezer door. It's not clear why he didn't just turn it off, but he didn't and now I'm wondering how to get it plugged back in with the refer still in position. I've been groping around through the access door and haven't put my hand on the plug.

I've got the freezer door fixed. I've plugged the box into an outside power source, and it's working well on 115. I'd hate to pull the box just to plug it in to the outlet it should be connected to. Because of the way it's parked (next to a fence) and because it's blocked in this position, for another week or so, by a none moving motor home, and due to the fact that I'm not small nor limber, it's very awkward to grope around behind the refer through the access door.

My question is, is it possible to get this plugged in with the refer in position or do I have to pull the refer out to access the plug? If the plug is reachable from the outside, I'll wait until I have some more wiggle room, or get a slimmer more agile friend to help. If it's not possible, I might as well pull the box now.

Thanks

Old 04-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieAndy View Post
Hello,

I'm working on getting our (new to us) '76 '31 Rear Bath, LY on the road ASAP. Here's a nice little problem I could use some help with.

The PO unplugged the refrigerator because of a problem with the freezer door. It's not clear why he didn't just turn it off, but he didn't and now I'm wondering how to get it plugged back in with the refer still in position. I've been groping around through the access door and haven't put my hand on the plug.

I've got the freezer door fixed. I've plugged the box into an outside power source, and it's working well on 115. I'd hate to pull the box just to plug it in to the outlet it should be connected to. Because of the way it's parked (next to a fence) and because it's blocked in this position, for another week or so, by a none moving motor home, and due to the fact that I'm not small nor limber, it's very awkward to grope around behind the refer through the access door.

My question is, is it possible to get this plugged in with the refer in position or do I have to pull the refer out to access the plug? If the plug is reachable from the outside, I'll wait until I have some more wiggle room, or get a slimmer more agile friend to help. If it's not possible, I might as well pull the box now.

Thanks
The reefer city power outlet, is in the wall.

You can easily find it using a mirror.

Andy

Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You probably need someone with a small arm. The outlet in my unit is above the access door mounted on the inner skin and it faces the rear of the trailer. If you have a mirror you may be able to see the location to give you some idea of what you are feeling for.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i don't know about your model but you can try feeling along the inside wall above the access door. think of it as the outside wall if you were looking in the refrigerator compartment from inside the trailer.

if you can get your head inside the outside access and look with a flashlight you should see it.

one other method is to shoot a few pictures with a phone or camera. my phone is much smaller than my head :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
A mechanic's inspection mirror on a long handle should enable you to look inside that access hole and find the plug. On our '66 Safari, it's in the outer wall of the trailer above the access hole behind the fridge. Shine a flashlight at the mirror itself, and the reflected light will illuminate whatever you're looking at.

Good luck with the slim and agile part. Seems as though that's always the biggest challenge.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
St. Petersburg , Florida
Thanks all. I think the camera might be the easiest way. There's so little room next to where it's parked, and I'm so not limber. I'll let the camera find it, then find a skinny friend to plug it in.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Please, Please, Please, turn the power off first! You really do not want to be fumbling around blind and get a finger between the prongs (you dont want to ask- trust me!)
tim
Old 04-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
Ottumwa , Iowa
mine was on the left side of the door as your looking at it and ya be sure to unplug the camper 110 isnt no fun you dont want to get a ring on the two prongs they heat up very quick