Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2004, 07:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Baghdad , Iraq
Send a message via MSN to Airstream 1975!
Where to start?

Hi all, I am new to this forum and a new 1975 27' RB Intn'l owner. Completely original all the way down to the orange shag carpet. Can't seem to get the Armstrong a/c to go on. The compressor starts but no fan/blower. Haven't moved it yet. Ordered Goodyear Marathons. Checked the axles per inlandrv instructions. Should the entire brake assembly be replaced or just the shoes? What about the shocks? Can you purchase these at an auto part store? If so, what is a suitable repacement. Has anyone used bearing buddies on there AS? I thought this might be better to have instead of repacking the bearings again down the road. Sorry for so many questions at once, just need a little guidance. Rob
Airstream 1975! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Where to start

Rob,
Starting with the last question: I wouldn't use bearing buddies. They work great on my boat trailer, but I think they exert to much pressure on the bearing seal, and that might cause grease to get on your new brake linings. (my boat trailer doesn't have brakes and isn't 'legal')
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:58 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Rob,
Welcome aboard....I am just down the road from you, I actually work in Apex...know where that is? My understanding is that the only shocks that work properly on the Airstreams are the OEM shocks, they are availble from www.inlandrv.com and may be available elsewere, should run $30-40 apeice. As a general rule I don't like bearing buddies on a travel trailer, I know some manufacturers won't let you use them, it voids their warranty ( as though you have to worry about that). I prefer to repack my bearings, that way I get a chance to visually inspect them and make sure that eveything is in good shape. There are several things that could be affecting the A/C unit, but don't ditch it until you have it thoroughly checked out, I would suspect a loose connection, bad relay, bad capacitor or possibly a dead fan motor. BTW does your AS have the Twins or the Double. I have a 1975 service manual that I can share info from if you need it. PM or email me. Do you have Vista Views?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 08:11 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
On the fan/blower. Once you get it home I would suggest removing the top half of the shroud ( on the roof) and clean out the build up of stuff that is for sure in there. You should be able to manually turn the blower motor from there. If the motor turns then I would look at a bad capacitor or loose connection. If the motor is turnable but stiff there should be oil ports that you can put a drop or two of machine oil in. DO NOT USE WD40. Use you wife's sewing machine oil if you have to or get some 3 in 1 oil.

Note on the shroud. Be VERY CAREFUL when removing and reinstalling the shroud. They can be purchased but are a big ticket item. You may want to remove it and repair/refinish it while you are at it so it can last another 29 years.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 08:18 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Baghdad , Iraq
Send a message via MSN to Airstream 1975!
Hey, Thank you for the quick responses! Aaron you had asked if it about the beds and I have twins. The shroud for the a/c is in good condition. I have posted a picture of it in the airstream photos section under " The Silver Palace" I will post more picture in a little bit. I want to keep things as original as possible but functional and somewhat modern.
Airstream 1975! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

When i replaced the A/C fan on my 1983 31 excella, i first tried to just take the top half of the shroud off. No go.

Then i just lifted the entire shround and it came free easily.

I am sure that if i continued to try separating the top and bottom halves i would have broken the plastic.

just a heads-up, your halves may seperate and come off easily.

Dave S.
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 06:56 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
I'm pretty sure you can get to almost everything from the inside of the airconditioner. It's pretty easy to drop the inside fascia and then the distribution box and you'll be looking right at the blower fan. That area is exposed to a lot of moisture. You may just have some corrosion on a connection to deal with in order to get the fan back on. It's much better than a blown compressor!

I second the notion on being careful with the outside AC shroud. It's very fragile. I bought an extra one that matches the 1972 at an old Airstream dealer--if anybody needs one! I think Inland RV sells them for about $300 new.

We had that same orange shag in our '72! Gotta love the 70's!!!

The shocks you can order from Airstream or any dealer. They are supposed to be a special item made just for our trailers.

I've attached a photo showing the shock they sell at the Airstream Factory Store in Jackson Center, OH and their part #.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream shock.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	4965  
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by DPeakMD
We had that same orange shag in our '72! Gotta love the 70's!!!
Do you mean to tell me that the green shag that came in our 1967 may have been original? It was certainly a professional installation, but when we got the rig six years ago, the carpet stank to high heaven!

BTW, do be careful with the shroud. Ours was about as fragile as an egg shell -- and lasted just about as long as you'd expect an egg shell to last. We got one of the new ones from Inlandrv. It's made of heavy-duty, hefty material and will almost certainly outlast me.

Lynn