Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
La Canada , California
Where in southern California can I get an old Caravel inspected?

I just inherited a '65 AS Caravel that has been sitting for a few years. I would like to have it looked over from top to bottom to see what works and what doesn't, what repairs are needed, etc., so I can get it ready for a road trip. I'm in the Southern California area near Los Angeles, Pasadena, Glendale, Burbank, etc. Some referrals to experienced, honest facilities or individuals would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, Evans.
evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
There's only ONE place to go... check out INLAND RV in Corona...

Ask for Andy or Greg...Airstream's are their business...I've bought lots of parts for our 78 AS from them. They have all the info and know what you'll need...

Check our their web site... InlandRV.com

Ray in Nor Calif
Old 10-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
C&g

I would recommend C&G Trailer - I believe they're in Bellflower if I remember correctly.
You'll love the 65 Caravel - although I might be a little biased
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.

-John Muir
krikles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
I've got to second Inland RV. I wish they were closer. While I've been unable to use their shop due to distance, I have bought parts from them and found them to be extremely helpful.
www.cameron-bailey.com
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
I've used both C&G and Inland RV. They are both great and incredibly helpful. But if you are near LA C&G, in Bellflower, would be closer. However, if you're in Pasadena, even though Bellflower is closer it might be easier to shoot out the 210 and take the 15 south to the 91; Inland is within a mile of the intersection of the 15 and the 91 freeways.

They are both listed on the official Airstream site as dealers in So Cal.

AIR #25767
timkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
since you have a vintage unit, my guess is inland rv may be a better match for you. i have a '56 flying cloud and was looking around to have a new axle put on and some frame work done. i called C&G and they were not interested in working on the vintage unit, i got the feeling they didn't deal with the frame/axle work i needed done. i ended having inland rv do all the work and greg was the guy who did the work. he put a new axle on with disc brakes, put on a new coupler and a few other things that escape me at the moment.

one final thought, you could check out uwe who did a 63 overlander remodel, he's a forum member here, and he's been restoring airstreams for awhile. he's in orange county, great guy and very knowledgeable. his website Area 63 Productions. if you're looking for some real person to person service, he may be the guy.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
So Cal repairs.

Evans.

We are the only southern California repair center, that does a 200 plus item safety check list, so that you will know everything that your Caravel needs, before you spend any money on any repairs.

We also replace original Airstream parts, with Airstream parts so that your airstream stays in the Airstream family.

We also carry over 3300 different Airstream parts in stock at all times.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Southern Cal Service

We highly recommend Uwe at www.area63productions.com/Area63/Home.html in Orange as well.

And we have heard good things about MEL Welcome to MEL Trailer also. MEL are the initials of 3 guys, I think. pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
C&g

I was very pleased with the work C&G did on my vintage unit so don't let the age of your trailer keep you from giving them a call.
Hey - call a few places and see who you're most comfortable with.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.

-John Muir
krikles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
We highly recommend Uwe at www.area63productions in Orange as well.

And we have heard good things about MEL Welcome to MEL Trailer also. MEL are the initials of 3 guys, I think. pj
Paula,

Yes, Mike, Erasmo and Lucas. They have done some work on my Liner and for other members of our unit.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
La Canada , California
Thank you!

Many thanks to all of you for this great information. I now have several sources I can check out for future inspections, service and parts. Evans...
evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Our Caravel is at C and G. in Bellflower Rod is very honest but slow as molasses. He has too much work. He did a check up for $250, then you can take her home and do some work yourself as the labor charge is 90 dollars an hour. He does not mind if you do things yourself. We are still waiting for our gal and it has been more than a few weeks. UGH WE want to get on the road and I want my husband to redo the floor.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Gail,

C&G is a great place and Rod is great too but for if you want real craftsmanship on a vintage unit. See Uwe at area63. His work is stunning for the same rate as C&G.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Recommendation

Agree with Goin. We highly recommend Uwe. He is completely restoring our 68 Ambassador and we are very pleased with his work. He has posted a thread here that showed the restoration of his own 63 Overlander. That thread speaks for itself. On top of that, Uwe has shared a great deal of restoration information on this forum for many others. He is tops in our book. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:08 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Gail,

I'm glad to hear we have a new Airstreamer on the forums. Rod at C&G is where I get my work done. He has always completed my repais as promised. He is highly recommended and they've been in business only working on Airstreams for over 40 years.

He is very patient with his customers but he does have a backlog of trailers that are completed and the owners forget where they left them! That must be frustrating.

Good luck on your repairs. If you want something sooner than later call Rod and talk to him about it.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #16
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
I agree with "Goin".

Name:   econ_goldtooth.gif
Views: 205
Size:  2.5 KB

r/
Safari-rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

I looked at Uwe's website. His projects look good. A few years ago there was a restorer around named Craig Dorsey at Vintage Vacations. He was top dollar and did exceptional work on complete total makeovers. I heard that his restorations hit $50,000 and above.

Just curious, is that what Uwe does? I haven't heard of him before. I don't see an address on his website. Where does he do his work? I am looking for a vintage trailer to restore but I don't want to invest thousand of dollars to do it.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Uwe has explained to me in detail what incredible options he has for vintage and modern Airstreams. I would not hesitate to have him work on any of my Airstreams and likely will. You have to look at his site and recognize the talent he has.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLB21 View Post
I looked at Uwe's website. His projects look good. A few years ago there was a restorer around named Craig Dorsey at Vintage Vacations. He was top dollar and did exceptional work on complete total makeovers. I heard that his restorations hit $50,000 and above.

Just curious, is that what Uwe does? I haven't heard of him before. I don't see an address on his website. Where does he do his work? I am looking for a vintage trailer to restore but I don't want to invest thousand of dollars to do it.
LLB21,

Two of Craig Dorsey's employees are now working at MEL Trailers in Orange, just around the corner from Uwe. MEL has done floor replacement and roof reinforcement on my Liner. I am very satisfied with their work. Uwe's work is first class also and has always been available to give me advise.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLB21 View Post
Uwe does everything from installing a fantastic fan to turning a pile of shrapnel into a work of art. It really depends on what you want done. His labor rates are lower than an Airstream dealership and the quality of his work astounding.

From my visits to his shop to have work done. He appears to do one restoration at a time and he fits in smaller jobs around that.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel