Old 03-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Where do "you" keep your spare tire ?

I'm new here so please be gentle,lol.

I just purchased a 1966, 28' International Ambassador (twin). Of hundreds of photos I've viewed on vintage AS's, I almost never see spare tires mounted on the rear bumper. A few have their spares behind the propane bottles. I have the original manual and as I'm sure you all are aware, the trailer came with (4) tires and no spare.

Of course I can put the spare anywhere, but I'd like to hear your "spare" tire location.

Also, the battery is a maintenance free type and is located under one of the beds. Originally, the battery was stored behind and underneath the bathroom in the back. The original owner did a complete interior restoration in the 80's and move the battery. Do I need worry about gasses with the battery under the bed ?

Danny Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Spare tire is in back of the truck...

Sealed AGM batteries (which it sounds like you may have) are fine inside (though you will get differing opinions)

Otherwise then yes you need to worry about the battery. It should be vented to the exterior and air tight to the interior.

Our Adventure..
timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Hidden under a very tight belt!!!!!!
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Back of the truck. Sometime I will secure it with a cable and lock, depending on the camping location.
Bruce & Rachel
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Mine is on the front A frame. Had to move the gas bottles forward to allow for it.

I have also carried it on the back . I now carry an aluminum box back there for water jugs and blue tanks as we usually boondock. Nothing heavy. Added a brace and a 2 inch receiver to hold whatever I want on the back within reason.
Also at one time carried 2 bikes ( pre Box) but found we hardly ever used them so they stay home now
Rick Davis 1602 K8DOC
61 tradewind, plus a few others
13 Ram 2500 TD
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I used to carry the spare in the bed of the truck. I installed the Airstream tire carrier which mounts under the front of the trailer. The truck is not as crowded any more.

If they are AGM's you should most likely be OK, but AGM's will out gas under certain conditions and I believe that the RV code still requires them to be in sealed and vented boxes. Regular lead acid batteries would be a real issue. If the battery has caps to check the water level, it is a lead acid.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Masseyfarm yo need a bigger belt and I should know cuz I had to get me one! The a frame for me but only because the caravel is a bit small for the under mount. As for the battery a sealed and vented box I don't care about the type of battery because the wife (my best friend) will be sleeping in the airstream and I will take NO chances.
Gotta get busy! Have a great day! Now where did I put those revits?
RM66caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
2 batteries, I use the bottom of a tall closet. Sealed, hinge top battery box on a sliding pull out, vented top & bottom to the exterior. Enough slack in the vent hoses and wires to slid out the box for maintenance. Spare on the A frame. Only disadvantage I've found w/spare is it holds debris against the body and must be removed to wash.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
We have a "lovely" little spare tire holder on the back of our vintage trailer:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2-P1090097.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	208304

However, this is not where we carry our spare tire. We have 15'' tires on our trailer now. The spare won't fit on our lovely little rack. Nor did the tires that were on the trailer when we bought it fit (14 1/2'' lowboys.) Weird.

For a while, the spare rode in the trailer. Then we decided we didn't enjoy hauling it in and out of the trailer when we got to the campsite.

Now, we carry our spare in the rear of our SUV. For quite some time, after this little incident, we carried not one but TWO spare tires in our SUV!

Spare tire carriers that mounts under the front of the trailer are available. Eventually, we'll probably get one of those.

Here's another thread about spare tire carriers that you might find helpful.

my restoration & travel blog:
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I used to carry the spare in the bed of the truck. I installed the Airstream tire carrier which mounts under the front of the trailer. The truck is not as crowded any more.
This is the best way. It took me a bit to install it, but having the tire in the factory mount under the trail is great. It's out of the way, but easy to get to.

jmpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
On my 20' Argosy, I mount the spare behind the propane bottles. Fits between the frame rails fine, gravity holds it in place. It does rub on the paint.

On my FC 20' the spare (original factory equipment) is located in the underside spare tire carrier. I think they can be mounted on the older ones like your '66. Andy at Inland RV can tell you for sure, and supply one for you. I think the cost is under $200. It is what I would vote for.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:57 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Thank you all very much. I like having multiple choices.

Stay tuned,

Danny Bell is offline   Reply With Quote