Old 05-28-2004, 11:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Smile Where do we start???

We are the proud owners of a 1960 AS Overlander. We are the second owners of this AS that has travelled europe in the Caravan Club. The trailer was well cared for but has sat untouched for the last 10 - 20 years. My family and I plan to reivive her and begin a second generation of Airstreaming! I have done some research and have begun reading the posts on this site - which is an absolutely wonderful resource!
My questions are numerous, however I would like to know the best place to start on the restoration. The floor seems solid except for at the door entrance where there is some wood warping. We would like to put a cork floor in ASAP, can I tile over the asbestos tiles and should I glue the wood or use a polyurethane wood filler? Also I have a galvanized water tank that looks awfully small does anyone know the original capacity in gallons and should I replace it with a plastic type tank? I'll start here for now with the questions but I know I willl be back with more! And if I can contribute at all I most certainly will!

airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:51 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

My recommendation is to do the floor LAST. Start by resealing all exterior seams, joints, windows with either Parbond or Vulkem as the situation warrants. Move on to the running gear to make sure it will be up to the task for the next 30-40yrs. make sure to derust your frame rails, check wiring, etc. I would then check all appliances, repair/replace as neccessary. Then do your cosmetic repairs inside. After all that is done, then turn your attention to the floor. During all this time you can observe if you've fixed any and all leaks before you spend your $$ on flooring.

Obviously if you have a hole in your floor at the door, you will have to patch that immediately so you can get in and out of the trailer safely.

Good luck and welcome!

Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:03 PM   #3
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
welcome to the forum. We just came back from Washington State, where we picked up our "new to us" 1963 Overlander. Seems we'll be sharing lots of the same questions.
Ours is more of a "Overlander Kit", beinf that it is mostly an empty shell.
Anyways, I suggest you take a real close look everywhere, especially the floor. My floor is severely rottet out under the bathroom area, and under the front window.
I can't even really call it a floor.....toothpicks is more llike it.
A restoration project on an old Airstream pivots on the floor and frame, in my opinion.
So, I would do some severe investigating, and then make a plan.
I suggest searching the threads for keywords like " separation", floor replacement", frame repair, etc.
Most of it has already been discussed on the forums.
If teh Asbestod tile is solid and sound, you might be able to apply a flooring material over it. Otherwise, I would remove it ( wear respirator) before installing new flooring.
Defective flooring sections shoul dbe cut out and replaced, if possible, to prevent the rot from spreading further. Many have also used a product called Rot Doctor.
Good Luck!
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 10:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and pulled up the tiles and the floor looks to be in great shape except for a 1'x2' section in front of the door. The wood layers are separating at this point, I thought I might be able to glue it and resin it but now I'm thinking of cutting it out. I'm just not sure where the bolts go back in, I'm assuming the original spots. We are going to put in cork flooring so I want the wood to be as solid as possible.

Thanks again,

Old 05-30-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thank you for the restoration list. I have already sealed and I am getting ready to check the axles. In the mean time we are going to put some cork flooring in
can't wait to get this trailer rolling, seems like alot of work ahead - Labor of Love!

Old 05-31-2004, 07:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Airstream restoration starts from the bottom and goes up. In my case, I'm starting by pulling the belly making sure everything is ok, then new axles, brakes, wheels etc. I'm planning on replacing the hitch on the front of the trailer to new one with a larger ball size. Then resealing all the seams, repairing windows etc, then on to the interior.

1956 Flying Cloud
Founder :
Four Corners Unit
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 07:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington

Definately check for overhead leaks. TRUST me. You will ruin your floor before you ever get to use it, if there are any leaks. I have several issues already, things that I have to redo, just in the last month, because I didn't start with the overhead leaks.

I'm the same way, want to jump in and make it look great, but you'll find yourself upside down next year if you don't fix the right problems first.

Also. Pull up the old tiles. This is extra weight you don't want on the trailer. Very Importaint!!!!

Ron ... now in Newport, Washington
[font=Impact][font=Arial Black]
tin can luv is offline   Reply With Quote