Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22 Rear Door
atlantic city , New Jersey
Where do I start??

Bought a 1975 Rear door 22 foot Argosy in July. Got it towed home and had the electrical checked and a mild update was done to ensure everything is safe. Had an inverter installed, new AC, and a solar panel which we couldnt put on top cause of the AC so it is not attached to the roof. The outside lights need updating with LED.

I am as novice as they get with all of this, but I want to take on the project of making this into my full-time home. I can learn just about anything, but this is all brand new to me. Can anyone direct me to the best book, guide, pocast, you tube series or something that will take me through the steps of doing this renovation?

Also - if I'm going to live in it full time should I gut it and start fresh with the frame and subfloor? Or should I just only repair the sections I need to - and is there a way to check the frame and subfloor without dropping the belly pan?

I'm losing time because I don't really know what to do next. I know this forum is a wealth of info, and I've been reading a lot of information on here for sometime, but I still feel overwhelmed with what to do next.

Oh and I don't have any of the keys to the Argosy - any thoughts on how to get them replaced? Because of this I havent been able to check the water from the tank - only the city valve (which worked fine no leaks).

Advice appreciated
girasoledonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Gut job wise:

1) Are you ok with the layout as it is? If not, that's one driver.

2) What sort of shape is the plywood in floor in? A moisture meter test would tell you something ...

3) Any guess as to the condition of the frame based on what you can see?

Until you know what shape the frame and floor are in, doing anything else is probably not a good idea. If the frame is mostly rotted out, that's a lot of money to fix. If the floor is badly damaged, you will pull a lot of stuff to get at it. None of that is to say either one *is* damaged. It's only that it's possible.

You are looking at a 42 year old vehicle. That's a long time. If it lived in New Jersey most of those years that's not quite as good as living the same years in the Arizona desert. This is very much into "trust but verify" range. There are possible issues and until you dig in and check them out, they are still on the list.

Yet another question - how much indoor space do you have to work on the trailer? Will this be an outdoor process or can you get it inside? The "fun outdoors" season is closing down pretty soon up here in the northeast .... If there is a time constraint ( = I have to move in before May 1st) that may dictate some of this. Some people spend years learning and doing on a reno ....

Lots of questions and not very many answers .... sorry about that.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Is this a trailer or a motor home?

To answer your questions:

These forums have a wealth of knowledge in them. I would advise you to read several of the "Full Monty" rennovations. They won't exactly be a "how to" guide, but you will get familiar with the techniques involved with rennovation and the scope of the project. I would also recommend getting the back episodes of "The VAP" (Vintage Airstream Podcast), and listen to as many of them as you can. Again, not exactly a step-by-step how-to, but you can absorb a lot of information on your daily commute. I also recently saw a thread started with this exact question--do a google search from outside the forums for terms like "airforums rennovation book" and other permutations, and you will probably find it. Also, you should buy a shop manual for your trailer. You might be able to find one on eBay--this tells you everything you need to know abour repairing literally everything.

Go to the Portal tab at the top of the page. Scroll down and keep an eye out on the right hand side fo the page. There you will find a link to the "trailer inspector's checklist". You can use this checklist to thoroughly check out your rig and figure out what you are up against. If you are trying to complete this project in a hurry and don't have a very big budget, then the less you have to do, the better. If time and money are no object, then do the full monty. You thoroughly inspect your subfloor from inside. You can only get a full look at the frame by dropping the bellypan. These trailers are like onions--the more layers you peel away, the more tears you will shed.

There are a few threads on here about what to do about lost keys, again do a google search from outside the forums for "airforums lost keys" and you will probably get some hits.

My guidance regarding rennovating a vintage trailer would be to hope for the best and expect the worst, and plan a shell-off from the beginning.

You can feel your way there by getting out the inspector's checklist, going through everything, making a list of what needs to be repaired, and then tackling it one project at a time, starting at the "deepest" level of disassembly and working your way out. Or you can do the following:

1) Spend up to two years looking for the trailer that is in the best shape, with the best price, with the best floor plan, only to drive too far to look at a trailer, and buy it out of desperation, as you don't want to go home empty handed.
2) Remove the interior including all inside skins and insulation--store it in a temporary shed (that will become permanent).
3) Build a set of gantries--you'll need them.
4) Lift the shell (using the gantries) from the frame and set aside.
5) Use the gantries you built to lift and flip the frame.
6) Remove belly pan, gas lines, etc., and set aside.
7) Perform all repairs on the frame, address rust and paint (again, lifting and flipping in the process).
8) Install new floor on frame.
9) Flip, insulate the underside of the floor, install retro-fitted grey tanks.
10) Install belly pan with frame still upside down.
11) Install new axles (with frame upside down, using the gantries as a crane).
12) Pressure wash the interior of the shell--make every effort to get rid of the mouse piss and old insulation--this is your only chance.
13) Lift the shell, wheel the frame back underneath, and set the shell back in place.
14) Complete reconnection of shell to frame.
15) Replace all door and window seals, plumbing vent seals, perform any shell patches, panel replacements, AC replacement, etc. (use the gantries as scaffolding to access the roof of your trailer).
16) Seal the inside of the shell, every rivet, every seam.
17) Spray primer on the inside of the shell to not only protect from corrosion, but to seal in funk.
18) Write a mysterious message to the next restorer on the inside of your shell.
19) Rennovate/install any awnings and ensure that any new shell penetrations do not leak.
20) Confirm that your shell no longer leaks.
21) Assess wiring in the shell. Rewire if necessary, realizing what a PITA it will be, trying not to nick any wires.
22) Strip the clear coat off your shell if needed.
23) Polish the areas around the trim, emblems, clearance lights before reinstallation.
24) Thoroughly investigate every kind of insulation known to mankind and then install the pink fiberglass stuff anyway.
25) Reinstall interior skins after thoroughly cleaning them--paint the backsides with primer to encapsulate the old stank you can never wash off.
26) Rebuild electrical distribution system (battery, fuse board, etc.).
27) Layout your future cabinetry.
28) Begin to run water lines, realizing some of them will go under/behind furnishings
29) Start from the rear of the trailer and rebuild the interior furnishings, cabinetry.
30) Lay down new flooring.
31) Rerun the gas lines.
32) Finish installing appliances.
33) Do the blinds/drapes/upholstery.
34) Finish whatever polishing you want to do on the exterior
35) Seal every exterior seam
36) Discover new leaks and throw a fit
37) Throw away all the receipts, as it is just too depressing to know how much you just spent.
38) Count the gray hairs/hair loss that has resulted from the years you have spent on the project.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Is this a trailer or a motor home?

To answer your questions:

These forums have a wealth of knowledge in them. I would advise you to read several of the "Full Monty" rennovations. They won't exactly be a "how to" guide, but you will get familiar with the techniques involved with rennovation and the scope of the project. I would also recommend getting the back episodes of "The VAP" (Vintage Airstream Podcast), and listen to as many of them as you can. Again, not exactly a step-by-step how-to, but you can absorb a lot of information on your daily commute. I also recently saw a thread started with this exact question--do a google search from outside the forums for terms like "airforums rennovation book" and other permutations, and you will probably find it. Also, you should buy a shop manual for your trailer. You might be able to find one on eBay--this tells you everything you need to know abour repairing literally everything.

Go to the Portal tab at the top of the page. Scroll down and keep an eye out on the right hand side fo the page. There you will find a link to the "trailer inspector's checklist". You can use this checklist to thoroughly check out your rig and figure out what you are up against. If you are trying to complete this project in a hurry and don't have a very big budget, then the less you have to do, the better. If time and money are no object, then do the full monty. You thoroughly inspect your subfloor from inside. You can only get a full look at the frame by dropping the bellypan. These trailers are like onions--the more layers you peel away, the more tears you will shed.

There are a few threads on here about what to do about lost keys, again do a google search from outside the forums for "airforums lost keys" and you will probably get some hits.

My guidance regarding rennovating a vintage trailer would be to hope for the best and expect the worst, and plan a shell-off from the beginning.

You can feel your way there by getting out the inspector's checklist, going through everything, making a list of what needs to be repaired, and then tackling it one project at a time, starting at the "deepest" level of disassembly and working your way out. Or you can do the following:

1) Spend up to two years looking for the trailer that is in the best shape, with the best price, with the best floor plan, only to drive too far to look at a trailer, and buy it out of desperation, as you don't want to go home empty handed.
2) Remove the interior including all inside skins and insulation--store it in a temporary shed (that will become permanent).
3) Build a set of gantries--you'll need them.
4) Lift the shell (using the gantries) from the frame and set aside.
5) Use the gantries you built to lift and flip the frame.
6) Remove belly pan, gas lines, etc., and set aside.
7) Perform all repairs on the frame, address rust and paint (again, lifting and flipping in the process).
8) Install new floor on frame.
9) Flip, insulate the underside of the floor, install retro-fitted grey tanks.
10) Install belly pan with frame still upside down.
11) Install new axles (with frame upside down, using the gantries as a crane).
12) Pressure wash the interior of the shell--make every effort to get rid of the mouse piss and old insulation--this is your only chance.
13) Lift the shell, wheel the frame back underneath, and set the shell back in place.
14) Complete reconnection of shell to frame.
15) Replace all door and window seals, plumbing vent seals, perform any shell patches, panel replacements, AC replacement, etc. (use the gantries as scaffolding to access the roof of your trailer).
16) Seal the inside of the shell, every rivet, every seam.
17) Spray primer on the inside of the shell to not only protect from corrosion, but to seal in funk.
18) Write a mysterious message to the next restorer on the inside of your shell.
19) Rennovate/install any awnings and ensure that any new shell penetrations do not leak.
20) Confirm that your shell no longer leaks.
21) Assess wiring in the shell. Rewire if necessary, realizing what a PITA it will be, trying not to nick any wires.
22) Strip the clear coat off your shell if needed.
23) Polish the areas around the trim, emblems, clearance lights before reinstallation.
24) Thoroughly investigate every kind of insulation known to mankind and then install the pink fiberglass stuff anyway.
25) Reinstall interior skins after thoroughly cleaning them--paint the backsides with primer to encapsulate the old stank you can never wash off.
26) Rebuild electrical distribution system (battery, fuse board, etc.).
27) Layout your future cabinetry.
28) Begin to run water lines, realizing some of them will go under/behind furnishings
29) Start from the rear of the trailer and rebuild the interior furnishings, cabinetry.
30) Lay down new flooring.
31) Rerun the gas lines.
32) Finish installing appliances.
33) Do the blinds/drapes/upholstery.
34) Finish whatever polishing you want to do on the exterior
35) Seal every exterior seam
36) Discover new leaks and throw a fit
37) Throw away all the receipts, as it is just too depressing to know how much you just spent.
38) Count the gray hairs/hair loss that has resulted from the years you have spent on the project.

Good luck!
Hi

With any project like this, no two are ever the same. No two trailers are in the same shape. No two reno's have the same objectives. Do you want "full solar with lithium batteries?" head over to a different track for all of that. Frame has zero rust and damage? Skip ahead a year or so. Want a paint job that makes people faint it's so good? Get in line for the one guy near you who can do that. (... so much for being a year ahead ).

If you have the time / space / resources, this is a great thing to do. Never done this or that before (who has ...) - be ready to tear out and re-do. It's part of the process. Dig in and get going. Sitting and pondering for two years is not the right answer ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Elk Rapids , Michigan
Start by getting a key made.
matthewsx is offline   Reply With Quote