Old 08-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
I don't know much about the vintage Airstreams but remembered seeing something about decoding Vin numbers on the AS website. I just checked and it is the service menu under manuals, other information , trailers. There are two documents on decoding Vin numbers. One is pre-1980 and indicates Vin numbers should be 8 digits and the second is 1980 and up are the newer 17 digit format.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:13 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Everett , Washington
pictures

OK, I have a few pictures. Now to see if I can figure out how to upload them here…
If these upload ok, here's what they are:
*First pic is of it all dirty at the car wash before parking it at home. (fyi - if the bumper looks low to you, it's because of the rear wheels sitting in the drain area at the car wash as well as us having used too high of a hitch getting it home.
*A few pics of the outside after getting washed.
*A pic of the id tag. The numbers are hard to decipher and not 17 digits like a vin… The warranty has a 10 digit number on it. What's what?
*The kitchen renovation started by the PO (I'm already learned that abbreviation!). That's a little wine cooler built in under the counter, the original oven, and an electric stainless fridge with a fire-proof wall beside it in case he decided to put in wood stove on the other side there-facing the 'front room'.
*The twin bed area (no cushions included)
*A few pics of the bathroom (Is all of that fiberglass?)
I don't have a good pic of the front room. He gutted it and put in laminate flooring (we'll likely replace with bamboo at some point).

He painted the 'walls' and some of the blue painters tape is still up. I'd like to paint over it with a lighter cream/whiter color. (What kind of paint do I use for that).

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	At the car wash.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	218854   Click image for larger version

Name:	69 Sovereign Cleaned.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	218855  

Name:	'worst' side of our Sovereign.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	218856   Click image for larger version

Name:	69 Sovereign ID.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	218857  

Name:	69 Sovereign kitchen reno.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	218858   Click image for larger version

Name:	69 Sovereign kitchen.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	218859  

Name:	69 Sovereign twin beds.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	218860   Click image for larger version

Name:	69 Sovereign Bath.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	218861  

Name:	69 Sovereign bathroom.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	218862  

Old 08-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Looks much better after the bath, in fact, pretty good! We primed with Bondz primer, and then painted with exterior grade latex paint. Key is to have very clean and well rinsed walls prior to painting. 4 years and no probs. People have used spray Krylon for bathrooms, I think. We gutted ours and started over so no experience for you.
If you're going to travel, you might want to swap out the frig for a propane/elec model. We saw lots of elec. frigs at the RV show last winter, but they can't cool until you have electric hook ups.

Kay
Old 08-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome to Air Forums and the wonderful world of Airstreams!

Yours looks pretty good after the big bath.

Here are some thoughts.

Find an experienced rv or Airstream person that can help you test the electrical and plumbing and heating systems. Plan to replace all copper plumbing with Pex, but if there are no leaks now or they are easy to fix, then leave it copper for now.

Replace the converter (battery charger) if it has not already been replaced by the PO. Best Converters is a good online source.

Keep the electric fridge for now, but plan on replacement with a propane/electric rv fridge if you plan to do much traveling and/or boondocking (no hookups). These are expensive, about $1,000 (PPL is a good online source).

Use Krylon Plastic paint for painting the fiberglass bath fixtures. I used epoxy and wish that I had used Krylon.

Don't install a wood stove. Install a new furnace if you need serious heat or just use one or two oil filled heaters if it is not too cold and you have electric available.

Don't replace the toilet if it works or can be repaired. I installed a Curve Porta Potty in place of our old toilet. It works great; we don't poop in it. This allows us to use the black tank as the grey water tank (sink and shower drain) . The Curve is very light and cheap ($120 from PPL). You can see details about my installation in "Dan's Tradewind Improvements" in the Tradewind section.

Go camping and make any improvements gradually. Read lots of the renovation threads on the Forum. Ask lots of questions.

Have fun, Dan
Old 08-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Don't replace the toilet if it works or can be repaired. I installed a Curve Porta Potty in place of our old toilet. It works great; we don't poop in it. This allows us to use the black tank as the grey water tank (sink and shower drain) . The Curve is very light and cheap ($120 from PPL). You can see details about my installation in "Dan's Tradewind Improvements" in the Tradewind section.
Be aware that there are a number of camp grounds (in particular, all the Escapee parks) that will not allow you to camp using a Porta-Potti. They require that all campers have a holding tank and sewer hose connection.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Two comments...

We met with him today to get a few more odds and ends that he had forgotten to give us (such as a Cyclo in case we're crazy enough to tackle a polishing).

Count your blessings! A Cyclo is an expensive tool.

The dmv said that the vin number is too short so they can't run it and approve a title until they can get a match that works. It's the vin/serial number off of the original purchase/warranty.

VIN numbers on older vehicles are often shorter than the new standard format. Trouble comes when the clerk at the DMV is too young to know that. IMHO you, or the PO, need to go up the ladder at that DMV to find someone who's been around a few years.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
The VIN number on our '72 is 10 digits.

Chris
Old 08-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Vin

My '64 has a 7 digit number refered to as a Serial Number. No VIN. This was adequate to register in Texas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0646.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	218923   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1399.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	218924  

Old 09-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Auburn , Washington
Hello everyone I have Just bought the 1969 airstream from keepitsimple. I thought i would give you an update on it. The trailer tail and backup lights are now repaired with new led lamps. The brakes are now hooked up on the new axle. The tow connector is rewired. All marker lamp assemblies are replaced and working correctly. The front jack is replaced with a newer unit. the front porch light is now functioning thanks to a new switch. Has a new battery and all 12 volt wiring is working correctly. the outlet behind the fridge has been replaced. The plumbing has been repaired and tested except the fresh water holding tank and pump. we threw a futon up front and have camped 2 times already in it we love it.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellastream View Post
Hello everyone I have Just bought the 1969 airstream from keepitsimple. I thought i would give you an update on it. The trailer tail and backup lights are now repaired with new led lamps. The brakes are now hooked up on the new axle. The tow connector is rewired. All marker lamp assemblies are replaced and working correctly. The front jack is replaced with a newer unit. the front porch light is now functioning thanks to a new switch. Has a new battery and all 12 volt wiring is working correctly. the outlet behind the fridge has been replaced. The plumbing has been repaired and tested except the fresh water holding tank and pump. we threw a futon up front and have camped 2 times already in it we love it.

That was a fast turnaround. Have you been able to assess it for basic structural issues like the frame and condition of the subflooring? That and making sure it doesn't leak in a heavy rain would be my first considerations and then look at all your other systems as well as the axles and tires.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Auburn , Washington
Its got new axles and tires on it I have inspected the frame and blackwater holding tank at rear of trailer. I have stoped the rust and repainted the rear frame and am replacing some sheet metal for the bumper storage box. The lady who I bought this from had a death in the family and had to take care of that and not an airstream. I feel she was in over her head. Its in good hands now. I have ordered all new window door and vent seals. And will test for leaks after all seals are replaced.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:49 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Interesting story. Our condolences to the family of keepitsimple. The vintage Airstream hobby has a lower place on the priority list.

Bellastream, now you are the steward of this vintage Airstream. I think you will do well with it and enjoy it a lot. The shell looks pretty good. Sounds like it has many renovations already, and the fixing of all those things functional will take time. But it's back in action!

Have fun and maybe start a new thread where you can teach us followers how you solved or improved all those things on your punch list.

David
Old 06-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Auburn , Washington
a look at the trailer now that I have had some time with her
Old 06-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Sweet! I like the light down the center. Looks like you figured it all out.
Nice work.