Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2016, 05:02 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie3 View Post
My Barker power jack blew a fuse. It's a 30 amp 250 v slow blow glass fuse and I've looked at Radio Shack, WM and other places with no luck. Anyone know where I can buy one of these elusive fuses?
From Barker. I had the same issue, they sent me some.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:23 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Are you asking if swapping a 30amp glass fuse to a 30amp circuit breaker will void warranty? I wouldn't think so.
If there is a future electrical problem with the jack motor, or it burns out, you don't think the dealer is going to point the finger at the circuit breaker?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:34 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think you will find it will work indefinitely.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:25 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
If there is a future electrical problem with the jack motor, or it burns out, you don't think the dealer is going to point the finger at the circuit breaker?
Only if you put in a circuit breaker rated more than the original fuse.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Only if the wiring and motor is burned up because of a failed or wrong amperage breaker. They would have to have some evidence that it was the fault of the breaker in some way.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
My point was that changing out the glass fuse holder for a breaker opens you up for an argument from the dealer about the cause of the future problem. Why invite the argument when it is a simple matter to get the right glass fuse? [ and some spares ]

Changing out OEM equipment while still under warranty is not worth it unless there is a clear benefit which cannot be obtained any other way IMO.

PS -- Many dealers do this all the time, basically putting "the burden of proof" on the trailer owner to prove that it was a defect covered by the warranty. Swapping out an OEM part just plays into their standard Modus Operandi. Not saying all AS dealers are this way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Only if you put in a circuit breaker rated more than the original fuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Only if the wiring and motor is burned up because of a failed or wrong amperage breaker. They would have to have some evidence that it was the fault of the breaker in some way.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:32 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
My point was that changing out the glass fuse holder for a breaker opens you up for an argument from the dealer about the cause of the future problem. Why invite the argument when it is a simple matter to get the right glass fuse? [ and some spares ]

Changing out OEM equipment while still under warranty is not worth it unless there is a clear benefit which cannot be obtained any other way IMO.

PS -- Many dealers do this all the time, basically putting "the burden of proof" on the trailer owner to prove that it was a defect covered by the warranty. Swapping out an OEM part just plays into their standard Modus Operandi. Not saying all AS dealers are this way!

Since mine is older I don't think about warranty work. But if it was under warranty and the fuse blew, I'd just call them up and ask if they wanted me to bring it in so they could research the problem or if they wanted to send me another fuse. If I blew a second one, I'd take it in so they could document that it's blowing fuses and let them swap out the motor.

AS shouldn't be accepting jacks from a supplier that is using glass fuses. They should put the onus on the supplier to change that out to blades before they arrive at AS. That's just quality, IMHO.

Once out of warranty, if I couldn't find the fuse I needed I'd modify the inline fuse to a blade fuse or breaker. I don't see any safety issue here.

As for the dealer wanting to void the warranty... if it was me, and the dealership was trying to claim it was my fault, my next place would be to file a grievance with the local BBB against the dealership and include Airstream as well. I'd be a thorn in somebody's side if I had to park my AS across the street from that dealership with a great big sign.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 05-25-2016, 04:31 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I have had some problems with the power head, and together with Barker, thought it was the up/down switch. I replaced it and still didn't work. They sent me a new power head under warranty. I offered to pay (Trixie is going on 6 years old).

Included with the new power head, they included extra fuses.

I continued trouble shooting and found the one of the crimps was was loose, and there was a build up of corrosion on the positive lead on the battery.

Through all of this, I never blew fuse. I did read all of the instructions, and will ensure I lubricate all of the gears at least annually. I will also keep the head itself covered to help prevent rain and snow from shorting (or damaging) the switches.

I am very impressed with the customer service from Barker.
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
rich I don't like to struggle so much . . .

New glass fuse is KISS, and yes if there is an underlying cause for blowing the fuse, the dealer should fix it under warranty.

Out of warranty period? Go for the breaker of course.

Peter
Old 05-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
OK, I now have two 5 fuse packages of NAPA 30 amp SB fuses. They look a little different than the the buss OEM's, but I have lost possession of that when I gave it to the dealer. Oh well. My memory says the OEM's were 250V and without a microscope, it appears the Napa's are 32V's. I swapped them out (and back) as they worked fine. I also have a pack coming from Barker, who has been very helpful.

So for now I'm going to wait on the Blade fuse/breaker swap for later, maybe next year.

Not to hijack this (Let me know and I'll move the discussion) but after conveying to Barker what happened to my foot plate and jack, they made two comments. Also I noticd on the instructions and website that in fact " it's design also includes a silent shutoff by use of limit switch."

History.
I thought I ran the post up too far and that caused the toe plate to loosen up and drop off on the highway. (1st comment) Barker said they are bolted to the bottom of the post. Just a heads up you may want to get your socket wrench out and check yours. I had the dealer install a new plate with a lock pin.

When I unhooked from a recent trip the fuse was blown and the hand crank not operative. The dealer said I jammed the gear by running it up to far. The story of having a limit stop changed to no you don't have one. You have to stop short.

They fixed it and I tapped a hex head screw in the post as insurance.

Second comment, Talking to Barker, they confirmed it should have stopped and that I needed to re-sequence the timing to correct that and sent me a diagram. Seems there is a way to reset the post setting so the silent shutoff operates correctly.

I'm heading back to the dealer so that they can discus this with Barker and perform the re-sequencing themselves since it's under warranty. However it looks like a very straightforward process. I have asked (via email) an explanation from Barker re the silent shutoff (i.e. is it a switch, how doe the sequenceing trigger it?) as I want to understand it better.

Barker has been very helpful.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barker timing sequence.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	263240  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf highpower_3000.all.pdf (1.18 MB, 193 views)
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
rich I don't like to struggle so much . . .

Peter
[In my best Monty Python voice]
I came here for an argument! [Argument clinic skit reference]

If not a Python fan, you won't understand.

I'm a middle born, it has to be fair or I'm not a happy camper. Middle borns are like that or so I'm told by the analyst.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 05-26-2016, 12:23 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

[ desk clerk bell: "ding ding" ]

"Sorry, the five minutes is up."

Old 05-26-2016, 12:35 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Bob, sounds like the thing was not installed right, or fixed incorrectly before you bought the trailer? I remember reading about having to calibrate the limit stops if the head was ever removed. Glad you are getting this sorted out. Thinking I will not check mine out, as the nearest dealer is 200 miles away!

I shall simply have to know my limits I guess . . . ?

Old 05-26-2016, 01:49 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Bob, sounds like the thing was not installed right, or fixed incorrectly before you bought the trailer? I remember reading about having to calibrate the limit stops if the head was ever removed. Glad you are getting this sorted out. Thinking I will not check mine out, as the nearest dealer is 200 miles away!

I shall simply have to know my limits I guess . . . ?

Me too.

The calibrations looks straight forward but since the dealer is 5 miles away and they've always considered this as warranty, it's an easy call.

I'm printing the schematic for my trailer paperwork, just in case.

b
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:37 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
If you are blowing fuses on a regular basis you could substitute an automotive type breaker that will reset when it cools. There has to be a reason for blowing a fuse, and assuming your trailer isn't some how particularly overweight I would look at lubricating the jack screw mechanism. It may be binding and overloading the jack motor.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
So I just jumped into this thread and then found My solution was already offered..sorry and hope you get it resolved. I don't think the jack motor is the problem; I think it is one of the solutions offered already...bad connections or broken limit switch. I was blowing the 30 amp fuse from my TV and found the problem was one of the limit switches so when I reversed the jack it just blew the fuse.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:16 PM   #57
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie3 View Post
My Barker power jack blew a fuse. It's a 30 amp 250 v slow blow glass fuse and I've looked at Radio Shack, WM and other places with no luck. Anyone know where I can buy one of these elusive fuses?

My 2016 FC has an Atwood jack. It is supposed to have a power drill adapter fitting supplied with the jack and a manual handle is optional. Unfortunately, never got the adapter when we took delivery and was 600 miles away from the dealer when I read the manual. Anyone with a 2016 might know where this adapter might be hiding?

Also, the manual says the fuse it uses is a "Buss Type AGC-30 fuse or equivalent". Is this the same a "Slow Blow" fuse?

Thanks for the information in advance.
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:56 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrrand View Post
My 2016 FC has an Atwood jack. It is supposed to have a power drill adapter fitting supplied with the jack and a manual handle is optional. Unfortunately, never got the adapter when we took delivery and was 600 miles away from the dealer when I read the manual. Anyone with a 2016 might know where this adapter might be hiding?

Also, the manual says the fuse it uses is a "Buss Type AGC-30 fuse or equivalent". Is this the same a "Slow Blow" fuse?

Thanks for the information in advance.
Welcome to the forum!

All of our Airstream misc. stuff, like the jack adapter, was in one of the plastic bins under the bed FWIW. We do have the manual handle, and getting one would seem to be a good investment for you IMO. I also plan on getting a 6" (VIF) 3/8" drive (VIF) socket set vertical extension, so that a drill can be used without removing the cover for the propane tanks.

On your fuse, you could look at the existing one, and see what it looks like. Most slow-blow fuses have metal insides that look like there is a small spring as part of the fuse. Also, the stamped ID on the metal end of the fuse should have its exact specs, although you may need a magnifying glass to see them well. [See Post #14 here for our NAPA specs.]

Good luck!

Peter
Old 05-30-2016, 06:35 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
AGC-30 is a standard automotive fuse, 30 amps. It is "fast acting", but apparently your application will work with the AGC.

On Buss fuses, "time delay" automotive fuses start with MDL

AGC 250VAC, 32VAC 1/20A-30A Fast Acting
MDL 250VAC, 32VAC 1/16A-30A Time Delay

Here's a link to the Buss fuse book, 132 pages of stuff you never really wanted to know

http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...ne_Catalog.pdf
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 05-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #60
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Thanks Peter and Rich. Not sure when AS change to Atwood on the jack, but my 2016 goodie box had neither adapter nor hand crank. Reported to dealer but they haven't got back to me yet with the holiday. The fuse says "Buss AGC 30A" on one end and 32V on the other and the filament is squiggly but not spiral like a spring like the slow blows I have seen in a photo.
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote