Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Where Can I Buy A 30 amp 250 v Slow Blow Fuse?

My Barker power jack blew a fuse. It's a 30 amp 250 v slow blow glass fuse and I've looked at Radio Shack, WM and other places with no luck. Anyone know where I can buy one of these elusive fuses?
jonnie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Assuming you have a jack that works off the battery, you do not need a 250 volt fuse. If you can find a 30A SB fuse in any voltage over 12 volts, that will be fine. Try auto parts places, RV dealers, Walmart, etc.

Not quick turnaround, but a good source for electronic parts in a few days:
http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...=0&pageSize=25

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I have had a hard time flnding the same fuse. "CruizinDux" mentioned getting some in Post #16 here, but I don't know if he located any:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457...up-149835.html

See also:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457...s-30054-2.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f457...te-135114.html

I see NAPA auto parts stores mentioned also FWIW.

If you find a good source, please advise. Amazon does not seem to stock them, but they may be included in some of the fuse assortment packages . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie3 View Post
My Barker power jack blew a fuse. It's a 30 amp 250 v slow blow glass fuse and I've looked at Radio Shack, WM and other places with no luck. Anyone know where I can buy one of these elusive fuses?
A lot of those old glass tube style fuses are rated for 250v, even for automotive applications. Just stop in any auto parts store and look for the 30 amp glass fuses that is the same length as yours.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
A lot of those old glass tube style fuses are rated for 250v, even for automotive applications. Just stop in any auto parts store and look for the 30 amp glass fuses that is the same length as yours.
FYI the slow-blow ones seem to be in short supply in our neck of the woods . . .

Guessing some Airstream supply or jack mfg. sites may have them?

Some are listed on eBay, for instance:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-LOT-Qty-10...YAAOSwhkRWevOQ
Old 05-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
NAPA had a 5-pack for $11.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meadow Vista , California
I seem to blow fuses on my Barker on a regular basis. I did not know there were fast and slow blowing fuses. Are there dangers to the Barker using the slow blowing type?
Thanks!
SilverSinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSinbad View Post
I seem to blow fuses on my Barker on a regular basis. I did not know there were fast and slow blowing fuses. Are there dangers to the Barker using the slow blowing type?
Thanks!
In my personal opinion only, using a slow-blow fuse is OK, as long as the rated amperage is followed. I would double-check your AS owner's manual and/or the Barker manual with your owner's paperwork packet, to confirm the amperage.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OP, NAPA carries the required fuse as a normal stocking item. If confused about what to ask for take your old fuse in and they will be able to fix you up. Go ahead and buy a 5 pack. You might need another somewhere down the road or be able to help out a fellow camper when they blow one.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FYI the slow-blow ones seem to be in short supply in our neck of the woods . . .

Guessing some Airstream supply or jack mfg. sites may have them?

Some are listed on eBay, for instance:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-LOT-Qty-10...YAAOSwhkRWevOQ
Another option, if you can get access to the inline fuse, is to replace it with a modern blade type fuse. You can get those at auto stores or even easier, at Amazon. I get most of my hard to find fuses and fuse holders there. If you're handy it's pretty easy to change them out.

Those old glass ones are hard to read, but it's printed on the chrome caps on the ends: SLO-BLO 30A 125V or 250V. If NAPA doesn't have them in stock they can get them for you, probably take a day or two.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 05-21-2016, 10:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
see post #921 for background,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...127845-66.html

Well I forgot to ask about extra 30 am SB's when I picked up the trailer from the dealer on Thursday. They are close to home so I swung by yesterday...figured if they had one to make mine work, they would have extras. Parts could not locate any on Friday. Chaos @ 4:50.

2-3 months ago, due to numerous failed attempts for the dealer to fill my standing order for 3-4 or so spares, I started checking around locally... Napa, O'Reilly's Knechts, AutoZone...all the usual suspects. blank stares...slow blow what? I finally asked the dealer for any ideas and he suggested Oregon Electric which is an electrical specialty wholesaler. I never made it by...no excuse, I'm in the area often, it just got away from me.....what are the odds anyway. Bad analysis.

I'll be dropping by the Napa store to check out the 5 Pak and if no luck will try OE on Monday.

I'll loop back with results and hopefully order info.

However I like richw46's idea...there has to be an alternative. I may need to call Barker so I understand any specifics re the slow blow requirement.

I have an appointment for service on our Highlander this week, so that will be anther person who should know the answer.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSinbad View Post
Thanks!
The jack shouldn't be blowing fuses. Unless there's an intermittent short in the jack, the usual reason for blowing a fuse is running the jack into a hard stop so the motor stalls, drawing a lot of current and blowing the fuse. Jacks have limit switches to stop the motor before the jack mechanically stops. One of the limit switches may need to be adjusted.

Our 1980 Caravelle has a bunch of the old style round glass fuses, and they are getting amazingly hard to come by. I guess that's because cars went to the blade type fuses a good many years ago. I keep a couple of boxes of 20 and 30 A fuses on hand--but we've never needed them.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:18 PM   #13
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
You can buy all you want on ebay
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:02 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Here are the specs for NAPA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I guess you can order online, but your NAPA store should have them IMO. The label on the end of the small box does not indicate Slow-blow, so the counter clerk did not find them right away. A search of the catalog yielded the right SKU.

http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/...335/BK_7821335

On end of small box:
782-1335...QTY
MDL-30........5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie3 View Post
Old 05-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Try the automotive stereo shops.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
See if this will meet your needs. It's rated at 32V but that should be ok for a 12V application:
http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-MDL30.../dp/B00139MFXM

A Note on Voltage Rating
All fuses have a voltage rating. To maintain safety, this voltage rating should not be exceeded in application, although it is acceptable to use a higher rated fuse in a lower voltage application. For example: A fuse rated for 125 volts is appropriate in household (110V) or automotive (12V), while a fuse rated for 32 volts is appropriate for automotive (12V), but not for household (125V). Always replace a fuse with one of the same or higher voltage rating.
http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...s_Ceramic.html

I found this at the cooper-busman site:
http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...s_Ceramic.html

About halfway down the page are the time delay glass fuses.

Personally, I think I'll convert mine to the new blade type, it's getting too hard to find these old glass tube automotive fuses.

They are time delay because if they weren't then if there was a drag on the motor it would blow the fuse right away. It's designed to allow some overload so the device can start. Continued overload will blow the fuse. You wouldn't want this for electronic stuff, you'd want a fast-blo fuse for that.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 05-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Thanks Richw46 I have a couple fo local leads I'll pursue on Monday. If not, I'll follow your tip (and link) at Amazon. Much appreciated. Do you know if there are slow blow available in the blade types?

Nuvite-F mentioned a stop. That's what I thought. The dealer who fixed mine said no. I don't know if they talked to Barker (Jack mfg'r), but I'll be calling on Monday. In the mean time I've added a self tapping screw above the "stop" line the dealer added.

Thanks all for the feedback and links.

Bob
Old 05-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
The jack shouldn't be blowing fuses. Unless there's an intermittent short in the jack, the usual reason for blowing a fuse is running the jack into a hard stop so the motor stalls, drawing a lot of current and blowing the fuse. Jacks have limit switches to stop the motor before the jack mechanically stops. One of the limit switches may need to be adjusted.

Our 1980 Caravelle has a bunch of the old style round glass fuses, and they are getting amazingly hard to come by. I guess that's because cars went to the blade type fuses a good many years ago. I keep a couple of boxes of 20 and 30 A fuses on hand--but we've never needed them.
I carry extra slow blow fuses and did need one in Nova Scotia. This was a prelude to my Barker jack (3 month old Airstream) switch panel going out. I replaced the panel - Barker sent one to my next scheduled stop. Fortunately, hand cranking the jack on my 23 FB was much eadier than I anticipated.

I now keep my jack covered when not in transit. Keeps moisture out.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Thanks Richw46 I have a couple fo local leads I'll pursue on Monday. If not, I'll follow your tip (and link) at Amazon. Much appreciated. Do you know if there are slow blow available in the blade types?
Thanks all for the feedback and links.
Bob
At this Amazon link I see the 30 amp Littlefuse that's time delay
http://www.amazon.com/LITTELFUSE-029...30A+Time+Delay

Here's the water resistant in-line ATC fuse holder:
http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-...G2R7JFTXKJBXSF
You might find these at NAPA too.

Here is a site where you can put in your requirements and then purchase. There is a 9 week lead time. You might call them and see if that can be shortened. I don't know about shipping but you can order a bag of what you need and put it in the trailer somewhere. I couldn't find 2-35A for my inverter so I just bought a bag of 25 or so. Almost the same price as one plus shipping.
http://www.mouser.com/Circuit-Protec...z0z80rZ1z0s1tm

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...n1XFuw39Xws%3d
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 05-22-2016, 11:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Rick, thanks for the info. I think that's the ticket. I'll talk to the dealer re warranty as I have another year, but will at least get the pieces in hand in the spares bag and ready to go.

I appreciate your advice.

BTW, my GGG grandfather was born in Owentown, and we're doing a little ancestry research. So we may be in your neck of the woods sometime in the next couple of years.

Bob