Old 06-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

For each "my one year old tires blew" story you run into, there is another story about "my tires are 20 .. 40 ... 80 years old and doing fine". Trying to work this out based on that sort of data will be quite difficult.

The people who make the tires warranty them for a specific number of years. They also warranty them for a specific number of miles. On a car they do pretty much the same thing. Do you get the rated "tread life miles" on your car tires? Sometimes I do, more often they come up short. Go down to the dealer and ... surprise ... warranty replacement is pro-rated and applies to the full list price of a new tire. I can buy them any day of the week for 20 to 30% off that price. Makes me wonder about that mileage warranty. So can you *trust* the tire manufacturer? They *would* like to sell you new tires every so often. How much damage can a blown tire do? Wow, that much (and more)? How much fun is a blown tire on the road?

The trailer is expensive to repair. I'm even more expensive to repair. Relatively speaking, tires are cheap ....

Bob

Old 06-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Bob, that sort of reasoning would keep most of us in the poor house if applied to everything that may somehow injure us, or our equipment.

Perhaps more reasonable with a passenger vehicle, but with a travel trailer using high quality tires such as Michelin, and protected and cared for, not so much.

Ten years for Michelin tires on a trailer for the average Airstreamer mileage is not too much to expect. I just took a set of Continentals off our 2006 VW Jetta TDI at 70K, plenty of tread left. The casings were perfect inside and out, no weather checking. I changed them because of age (and felt a little foolish doing it), they are 11 years old, always garaged, regular rotation, Minnesota climate.

In the highly unlikely event our Michelin Airstream tires ever have a sudden failure, and damage our trailer we carry insurance. Risk? Most people who experience a blowout on a tandem axle Airstream don't know it until they stop for fuel or arrive in camp.

My logic has always been to buy good equipment, take good care of it, and get maximum use out of it. Another logic I have seen is scare the hell out of people so they constantly buy stuff they don't really need.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

Ten years for Michelin tires on a trailer for the average Airstreamer mileage is not too much to expect.
I also am tempted to go longer than 5 years, but, respectfully, is your 10 year limit based on anything besides personal opinion?
Old 06-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Most people who experience a blowout on a tandem axle Airstream don't know it until they stop for fuel or arrive in camp.

Doug - do you use TPMS?

No guarantee of course that it will avoid any trailer damage in the event of a blowout, but at least you should know it the moment it happens, and so be able to pull over immediately - I think that at least with TPMS you are doing everything you can to mitigate potential loss.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Doug - do you use TPMS?

No guarantee of course that it will avoid any trailer damage in the event of a blowout, but at least you should know it the moment it happens, and so be able to pull over immediately - I think that at least with TPMS you are doing everything you can to mitigate potential loss.
Hi

.... ummm.... errr ... "at the moment" ... errr.

A number of TPMS systems are *not* instantaneous. To conserve power (how much energy is there in a valve stem gizmo...) they only send data every few minutes (yes minutes, not seconds).

Knowing that my tire blew a minute ago is way better than knowing a half hour later. It's still not fast enough to get me to slow down / pull over while it's dying. If I'm running pressures that are either high or low for the tires, then yes, it will let me know about that in time to correct the issue. That may *prevent* the blowout.

Bob