Old 03-31-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
When do you walk away?

Well it was beautiful here in CT today so we took our 68 chevelle out for it's first ride of the season and we are cruising along the back road sheaded to our favorite spot for lobster salad rolls and what do I spy but and bambi!

I started yelling it's a bambi, it's a bambi we have to go back. Then I realized that I have become infected with the aluminitis bug, my stomach actually did a flip flop.

By now we are about 1/4 mile past it and Harold says "Your nuts". I say Please, please, please. So on our way back we stop and just look. We must go up and down this road once a week in the summer and I have never notice this neglected little bambi. In summer it is probably covered by the trees. It's about 100 yards off the road on an abandoned piece of property. No one live there.

Now my problem, it is missing it's door. If I can buy this Bambi cheap and I mean cheap, what are my chances of finding a door for it? Or should I just say forget it I'll have about as much luck finding a door as owning the Hope Diamond and walk away. I think it's probably from the 60's.

If you guys think I should pursue it I'm going to go to go back and go to the next house and see if they can give me any contact info for the people who own the property. If no luck there I''ll got to the town Hall.

HArold says we need another AS like a hole in the head, but he didn't say absolutely no more. This is the LITTLE trailer that I wanted. I told Harold if it's really a piece of crap we could park it next to the patio and but a hot tub in it!

Annette

Old 03-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydogsmom View Post
Well it was beautiful here in CT today so we took our 68 chevelle out for it's first ride of the season and we are cruising along the back road sheaded to our favorite spot for lobster salad rolls and what do I spy but and bambi!

I started yelling it's a bambi, it's a bambi we have to go back. Then I realized that I have become infected with the aluminitis bug, my stomach actually did a flip flop.

By now we are about 1/4 mile past it and Harold says "Your nuts". I say Please, please, please. So on our way back we stop and just look. We must go up and down this road once a week in the summer and I have never notice this neglected little bambi. In summer it is probably covered by the trees. It's about 100 yards off the road on an abandoned piece of property. No one live there.

Now my problem, it is missing it's door. If I can buy this Bambi cheap and I mean cheap, what are my chances of finding a door for it? Or should I just say forget it I'll have about as much luck finding a door as owning the Hope Diamond and walk away. I think it's probably from the 60's.

If you guys think I should pursue it I'm going to go to go back and go to the next house and see if they can give me any contact info for the people who own the property. If no luck there I''ll got to the town Hall.

HArold says we need another AS like a hole in the head, but he didn't say absolutely no more. This is the LITTLE trailer that I wanted. I told Harold if it's really a piece of crap we could park it next to the patio and but a hot tub in it!

Annette
Hi Annette.

Welcome to Airstreaming, well..........almost.

The correct door for that year trailer has not been made for many years.

A newer model door, screen door and frame, not installed, runs better than $2000.00.

Or, if you can find a good used door from a 1970, 1971 or 1972 trailer you would be OK. That door and frame, are cast metal. Therefore it can be warped and not fit correctly, if it has slammed against the trailer.

Be cautious, as the cast frames cannot be bent back into shape.

Since you didn't say the year, I assumed it was a 1972.

But, if it's from the 60's, finding a good door would be even more difficult.

Andy

Old 03-31-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Good information from Andy, but I'd still check it out: the owner may have the store nicely stored somewhere...
Old 03-31-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Since you didn't say the year, I assumed it was a 1972.

But, if it's from the 60's, finding a good door would be even more difficult.

Andy

Wasn't 1963 the last year for vintage Bambi's? In 1964 the "little guy" was called a Bambi II and 1965 a Caravel...right? I thought they were only made '61-63 as "Bambis" and either "Bubbles" or "Pacers" before that ~

I also seem to recall that the entire trailer was scaled down (narrower, shorter in height, more rounded) so I would think a door from another model wouldn't fit without MAJOR modifications.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Annette, representing your husband's point of view, you may need to be sedated and another road be found to travel on each week. Of course, as a hot tub container, you wouldn't need a door, but the moisture from the tub will probably create much mold inside.

I realize there are different stages of aluminitis—first you start looking at Airstreams, then you buy one, then you start noticing the ones sitting out in a field somewhere (stage 3, where you are), then you know where every Airstream in the county is (I'm getting there), then you start feeling sorry for that old Airstream and want to adopt it, then it comes home and has to be redstored, eventually you have no room for all the trailers, and have to move. You buy a dealership so you can have them all around you and have workers who restore them. Beware, an intervention may be necessary.

We went on a Navajo rug spree several years back. We'd scour the reservation, visit old trading posts, find good deals, sometimes we had to get one repaired. We learned how to tell the top from the bottom of the rugs, warp strands, native dyes, etc. We'd go into a trading post and they'd ask "are you collectors?". It was written all over us. Collecting is dangerous. Maybe you'd like to buy some Navajo rugs, hmmmm?

Enjoy your Bambi.

Gene
Old 03-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
You should probably walk away from this as soon as you have the title in your hand, and then go get the truck to tow it home.

A Bambi would look good behind a 68 Chevelle
Old 03-31-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Annette,

When you learn how and when to walk away, can you please teach us?

We also have an affinity to old, forlorn homes with lots of character and puppies at the pound.

Good luck!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
It's door is missing, rot, rot, rot.
Money Pit
Run from it.

There will be a better unit just down the road
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:28 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
A Bambi? If you can get it for a song go for it. There aren't many of them around, and they're adorable. It will be worth the work.

You might also check the county website to see if they have a section that shows properties and owners. That way you can figure out who's property it's on. They might just want it hauled away.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Delta , BC
I have a door.

I have a door and cast frame for a 68 Airstream if that would work.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you find a new door
And you patch up the floor
You should bring it on home
It's a house for a gnome!

Old 03-31-2009, 11:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
when to walk away?

My advice at this point would be to walk away after the door has been ripped off by dirty stinkin' low life thieves!

Also if the owner won't part with it as it has sentimental value, even if it is rotting in the woods. This has never made any sense to me to waste a good trailer. Certainly not treating the trailer with sentiment.

By the way, it is a 64' Globetrotter. Even better then a Bambi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NYParty 030.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	77729  
Old 03-31-2009, 11:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
one more thing

As sad as it is sitting neglected in the woods, I think it would look even sadder pressed into duty as a hot tub cabana.
Sorry, but Harold already said you were nuts.

But seriously, everything can be restored....but all that remains is the shell of this poor neglected and molested trailer.

Must find my prozak now.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Gee Annette, I guess all of the forest-growth Airstreams are down by the CT coast....

Here's the thing: I know that you and Harold can rebuild this. And it looks like you could scare up a door - maybe not immediately or cheaply but they're out there.

What's the saying - you regret more what you don't do rather than what you actually do....

Tom