Old 04-01-2009, 07:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
WALK AWAY??? What does that mean? Walking away is not in the vocabulary of all us folks here

Old 04-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #16
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I would try to talk to the owner and ask if they want to sell. If the answer is no give them your name and phone number in case they change their mind.

If they just want rid of it try to buy it for some low price like $500 or less. Then if you can't do it justice pass it along to someone who can.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Annette, representing your husband's point of view, you may need to be sedated and another road be found to travel on each week. Of course, as a hot tub container, you wouldn't need a door, but the moisture from the tub will probably create much mold inside.

I realize there are different stages of aluminitis—first you start looking at Airstreams, then you buy one, then you start noticing the ones sitting out in a field somewhere (stage 3, where you are), then you know where every Airstream in the county is (I'm getting there), then you start feeling sorry for that old Airstream and want to adopt it, then it comes home and has to be redstored, eventually you have no room for all the trailers, and have to move. You buy a dealership so you can have them all around you and have workers who restore them. Beware, an intervention may be necessary.

We went on a Navajo rug spree several years back. We'd scour the reservation, visit old trading posts, find good deals, sometimes we had to get one repaired. We learned how to tell the top from the bottom of the rugs, warp strands, native dyes, etc. We'd go into a trading post and they'd ask "are you collectors?". It was written all over us. Collecting is dangerous. Maybe you'd like to buy some Navajo rugs, hmmmm?
Enjoy your Bambi.
Gene

Anyone know of a good treatment for this condition. I believe that I've become infected - making mental notes of where the local ones reside, even having other folks alert me of sitings, twisting in my seat while driving past parks to see if one might be inside.... The disease cannot, I say CANNOT, progress.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Gee Annette, I guess all of the forest-growth Airstreams are down by the CT coast....

Here's the thing: I know that you and Harold can rebuild this. And it looks like you could scare up a door - maybe not immediately or cheaply but they're out there.

What's the saying - you regret more what you don't do rather than what you actually do....

Tom
Tom,

If I can't get Harold on board with this AS. I'll tell you where it's at and YOU can have a restore me project. Hows that sound?

Annette
Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2009 23' International
Bainbridge Island , Washington
Wow, I can certainly identify with Harold. We had a Bambi (because "it's so cute") and have two Bulldogs (because "they're so funny"). We don't have the Chevy...does a '65 Mini count?
Old 04-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Anyone know of a good treatment for this condition.
You have to develop a desire for delayed gratification, something that has been lost to us in recent decades, but a good old fashioned Depression will bring back. Otherwise, medication, blinders, and will power may slow the progress of the disease. Stay strong!

Instead of buying another one, I just keep adding things to the one we have in the hope that's enough.

Gene
Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
It's tough to do but I walked away from a 73 Soverign yesterday. It was the same condition as that Bambi. I wouldn't have let my chickens roost in this thing - but deep down there was something nagging at me that it would have been a neat project because it was a rear twin/center bath model. The holes in the floor were big enough to throw a cat through!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydogsmom View Post
If I can't get Harold on board with this AS. I'll tell you where it's at and YOU can have a restore me project. Hows that sound?
I admit, I'm curious. But you might need to find me a divorce lawyer along with the Bambi....

Tom
Old 04-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Cruelty

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
The holes in the floor were big enough to throw a cat through!
Please be kind to cats....even if they do walk on your car and truck. I have never caught one on my Airstream.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Annette, get it if you can afford it. Maybe it won't work out, but you'll never find a door unless you get serious.

"Whatever you can do, or dream, you can begin. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now." (Goethe)

Begin now. You will be surprised at the skills you develop and the things you learn.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
OK. One more time. It is a 1964 Globetrotter. It has been rotting away in the woods for the last 15 years. Most of the windows and a sky light are broken and as mentioned before, dirty stinkin' thieves RIPPED OFF the door leaving torn and bent hinges. They also stole one of the side heater exhaust vents and tore apart the interior looking for and taking something else.
The frame is partly on the ground and the axle is sub grade and probably seized.
So if you can swing a deal for $500.00 and invest 15K in materials and 25K in your or others labor, you can end up with a great restored but not original GLOBETROTTER valued around 20K to 35K.

Not exactly a great investment but a good way to spend your spare time and money over the next, say, three years?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gt.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	77739  
Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
OK, I admit it, I have walked away a few times...but I've hooked up and towed away more times.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
All of you guys and gals are making sense. But for my own curiosity I'm going to go back and take some pictures and see if I can find out who owns it.

Harold still says no way. But he can talk me into anything so maybe I can talk him into this. But we both have to want to work on this as a project or it's a no go.

Annette
Old 04-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglabrown View Post
Wow, I can certainly identify with Harold. We had a Bambi (because "it's so cute") and have two Bulldogs (because "they're so funny"). We don't have the Chevy...does a '65 Mini count?

You have two bully dogs? We would love to have another one but Lucy doesn't like other dogs very well. She is a rescue and for the first 16 months of her life spend about 20 hours a day in a crate. So she was never socialized with other dogs, But we sure have tried and so have 2 trainer but no sucess, so we will have to be content with just one, and Yes she is so funny she keeps us laughing every day too!

P.S. 65 Minis are cool too!