Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , TX
Wheel Noise Brand New Trailer

Ready for our virgin trip. Hooked up trailer and noticed noise coming from wheels on both sides while walking beside. Not really loud, but enough to cause concern. The trailer has only been pulled app. 20 miles from the dealer to home. Any ideas?
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
What kind of noise? How loud? While in motion or just standing still? Is the emergency brake pin at the frame pulled out? Little more info and hopefully some help will be forthcoming. Good luck!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , TX
Not really loud. Slight rubbing/squeaking sound only while moving. Reavealing my total ignorance, but don't understand the question re: emergency brake pin. Thanks so much for responding so quickly!
Old 07-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
On your a-frame near the jack you should see a little box that has a ring on a cable - that's your emergency brake cable. It should be connected to your tow vehicle when towing in the event your trailer separates - the safety chains will catch it and the emergency brake will engage the trailer brakes to slow down the runaway trailer.

They should have showed you how to hook all that up when you picked up the trailer....

Do the wheels look like they're touching the body anywhere? Your profile says you have a 23 - I don't recall if that's a double axle - can't imagine it has the 16" Michelins - probably the 15" Goodyear Endurance trailer tires yes?

Are you still near the dealer? You might have them take a listen to the wheels. Not sure what could be causing it other than rubbing on the body or trim somewhere.

If you have a roque wrench, you should also check the lug nuts - I think 110 foot pounds if you have the aluminum rims.

Wish I could be more help! Hopefully smarter folks than me will pop in soon with some suggestions! Good luck!
Old 07-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Oh and I meant to say if the pin is pulled out, your trailer brakes are engaged which would be noticeable....

And my typo for "roque" wrench was meant to say torque....sheesh [emoji3]
Old 07-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , TX
Thanks so much. It does have dual axles with 15 inch. The emergency brake cable is installed and the pin has not been pulled. Upon listening again, it sounds like the noise is coming from the brakes. Will holler at the dealership tomorrow. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If the sound is more like a slight scraping or hissing sound. It is probably the brake shoes rubbing on the drums. Pretty typical.
If it is a growling sound. It could be a wheel bearing.
My vote is the brake shoes.
Tow the coach a short distance with the brakes applied. Then see if the sound changes. If it does everything is OK.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Thanks so much. It does have dual axles with 15 inch. The emergency brake cable is installed and the pin has not been pulled. Upon listening again, it sounds like the noise is coming from the brakes. Will holler at the dealership tomorrow. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Most welcome - TG Twinkie gave good advice there!

Assuming from your handle your a Marine? Thank YOU for your service!
Old 07-08-2018, 11:05 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , TX
TG, you characterized the sound pretty well. So do you think it's justca function of being brand new. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , TX
Yes, Sir! A VERY OLD Marine!
Old 07-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , TX
TG, tried your suggestion. It worked! Thanks so much!
Old 07-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
👍 Jug-heads rule...🇺🇸

You must report to your new Duty Station.

Bob
🇺🇸

VMGR 152 Da Nang '67/'68
Old 07-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You are welcome.
And Thank You for your service.
If you are ever in our neck of the woods. You will have a free place to park.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:46 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
In case you're curious, brake rotors/drums that sit idle for days/weeks will rust. You know, bare metal, moisture, etc. What you were probably hearing was the rust being scrubbed away by the brake pads/shoes. It happens often, even to cars that sit for a while, particularly outside. Sometimes it can be a pretty loud scraping. The advice you received herein was perfect. You probably won't hear it again until the surface rust returns. Good travels to you. Congrats on the new FC.
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:43 AM   #15
Classy Roscoe

Sir, before you travel very far try this procedure.

While on flat ground, paved parking lot, with trailer and tow vehicle in straight line, shift into reverse and slowly back up.

Now pump the brake, apply pressure then release an repeat about 5 times. Your done.

Now travel forward and listen for the noise you are hearing.

If it is still there, take your Airstream to the dealer and have them pull the tires, hub and inspect the brake shoes and all the guts of the brakes.

The backing up procedure will adjust the brake shoes, and if it is all working well, they will self adjust and your good to go.

If not, see the dealer! The check should take no longer than 2 hours start to finish.

My brand new 2017 Classic 31’ had a similar issue but I did not hear it until I went past at check point and had my window down.

Tried the back up procedure and everything seemed fine.

In about 1,500 miles the starboard front tire, wheel went AWOL and the tire ripped up the side of the trailer on its way into a corn field never to be seen again.

The guts of the brake shoe and internals were not assymbled correctly at the Dexter factory and the dragging brakes heated the drum and lugs to the point that the steel crystallized and failed flush with the drum.

( Message to Uncle Bob) The lugs Where torqued to specification!

This needs to be done on new trailers by the dealer prior to deliver IMO.

Thank you for your service.

Safe Travels.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The Dexter self adjusting brakes adjust going foward as well. Any time you apply the trailer brakes the self adjusting system activates.