Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Kimmell , Indiana
Question What's the difference?

I'm just starting to shop for a t.trailer. I am looking at Airstream but have seen Argosy and Avion trailers as well. I'm impressed with the structural quality of the Airstream. Is the construction similar between the brands?
Thanks for enlightening a newbie!
Hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Welcome to the forum - Airstream is the best - be sure and find the classified as part of this forum.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Welcome to the forum. Airstream manufactured Argosy for several year. It is considered the "painted Airstream". They are no longer manufactured but still in demand as a vintage unit. Since they are an Airstream product they are entitled to belong to the WBCCI. You will find that several members of this Forum have Argosy and are restoring them. You find a wealth of knowledge on this Forum.

Bob
Four Corners Unit
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Camping vs. Brand Recognition

The Avion trailers you have seen that look like Airstreams are knock-offs of the Airstream design. Nothing I have read has ever led me to be the trailers' quality of construction was questionable. Hang around enough Avion trailer owners and you will find that many people think Avion was made by Airstream. No truth there.

I think you will be happy camping in an Avion as long as you are okay with telling curious people that you have an Avion, "Yes, it looks like an Airstream, but it is not."

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Avions are NICE

You COULD make the argument that they are better built (HEAVIER) than Airstreams. They definitely DO have a truck like suspension and a subfloor that must be 2 inches thick. The cabinetry is real wood. The interior decoration isn't my cuppa tea however. The Pewter Cousins - several years used anodized aluminum - do have their own beauty and worth.

Lets play nice!

Paula
Old 10-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
To the uninitiated, it's kind of like seeing two red sedans and presuming because of the color, and that they have hoods, trunks, and four doors that they must have been made by the same manufacturer.

Many of the raw-aluminum trailers of the 50s, 60s, and 70s that looked like Airstreams had some relationship to the Airstream brand... former Airstream employees started the companies in some cases. Some were built as direct competition. Avion was the last one standing, and they went under in the late '80s after being acquired by Fleetwood. The next two most common are probably Silver Streak and Streamline. After that there were a number of imitators built in various production numbers; El Rey, Travelux, & Airlight come immediately to mind.

Because of the properties of sheet aluminum, they all had similar construction appearance for their period. The frames and running gear may vary, and the door treatments depend on the skill of the metalsmiths who assembled them.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A big difference between Airstream and, for example, Avion, is most of the other brands have a shell that is carried by the frame, and Airstream is the reverse.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Squarestream

In 1986 till 1989 Airstream built an Argosy trailer some call Squarstreams.In 1989 thru 1990 Airstream painted the same trailer in Airstream colors, But it was the same trailer with just some upgrades.
Please see the Airstream traler forums,under Squarestream at the bottom of forums page for more info.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
I'm not sure about the difference but just had to comment on your call name. Very witty. By the way, stick with the Airstream, you won;t regret it.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I have owned Airstreams, Argosys, and one Avion. The Argosys were like an inexpensive Airstream. They were built exactly the same with the exception of the compund round piece at the top, front and back, being galvanized steel, and the outside was painted. Everything else seemed the same, but less expensive and with a less expensive interior.

The Avion was a whole different breed. They are less "round" than an Airstream, built much stronger/heavier, and have a much more quality built interior. If I were buying a trailer to mostly full time, I would try to find an Avion in good condition. You can make some really good deals on them because they are less popular than Airstreams. They have more room inside for any given length, and a more of a house "feel" inside.

For a travel trailer, I much prefer the Airstream for the reduced weight, and more aerodynamic shape. They are easier to pull than the Avions.