Old 03-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1985 27' Sovereign
Bellevue , Washington
What's my "salvage title" '85 Sovereign 27 worth?

I've got a 1985 Sovereign 27 that's in pretty good shape except that it's not About 18 months ago, a tree partially fell on the front and punctured the side by the door. Tree fell, transformer blew, tree in chunks and shrapnel. 8' section wacked the front; shrapnel pierced the side. The insurance company totalled it but said I could keep it. After much handwringing about what to do (repair, replace, etc.) I've decided to move on. I'd like to sell it but I have no idea what it's worth.

It's got a pretty new (new when I bought the trailer in 2011) tri-fuel Dometic fridge. New water heater. Replaced carpet with laminate (pergo type stuff.) Bath in the back, two twins midship. Crazy folding couch/bed thing I removed because it was killing me to sleep on it.

I have zero interest in parting the thing out.

It is parked in Bremerton Washington and is towable. I'd include the hitch and sway bars.

I'd appreciate any input as to it's worth. I figure I'll put an ad in the classifieds once I figure out a reasonable price for the thing. I'd like to be done with it in the next 30 days if possible.

I've got some photos but couldnt figure out how to load them here. jbother AT

jkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
A reasonable price is what someone will give you for it. It sounds pretty badly damaged to me, and since you want to get rid of it quickly, and not part it out, put a low price on it and get it out of your life. Since the insurance company has probably paid you, and then gave you the thing back, anything is gravy at this point.

I would doubt that anyone is going to pay more than $500 to $1000 to take it in a short time frame, or even longer. But that is a total guess.

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #3
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Sounds bad, maybe worse than it is (?), but one thing is sure; a load of pictures would be a big help in aiding you with comments to help your decision...
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
1985 27' Sovereign
Bellevue , Washington
I appreciate the input. Thank you

I added a couple pics of the damage. The internal headliner is likely to probable to split when pushed back out as well.

Looks like the pictures got loaded sideways. I'll try and figure out how to fix that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141211_180759389_iOS.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	258409   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141211_180733253_iOS.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	258410  

Old 03-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
1985 27' Sovereign
Bellevue , Washington
Airstream of Spokane (where I originally bought it on consignment) estimated $23K to repair. Sergey at Silver Bullet Trailer in Portland thought $9K if I could live with an extra seam and $15K if not. He thought it would be more if the rib damage was more extensive than it looks.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Sergey does excellent work as they are old world craftsmen I can't say enough good about them ( he did all my work)
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Doesn't look as bad as I had imagined... But if the damage happened 18 months ago, can we assume that rain water has been pouring into the trailer ever since, rotting th e floors, wrecking the cabinetry, and ruining the upholstery?

So...If you don't mind my asking, what did the insurance pay you to total the trailer? If you have that number, and subtract the ~$15k it would take to fix it up, you may end up with a value that is about the most you could expect anyone to pay for it (but don't be surprised if it still sells really slowly).

Then again, if you feel like you have received all the cash you need from the insurance pay-out, and you just want to get rid of it, offer it up for a couple thousand. If you get no takers, you can always lower the price. The new flooring is only going to be valuable to someone who wants to fix it. The components like the water heater and fridge are used parts over 5 years old, so you can expect them to be worth a few hundred, plus maybe a hundred or so for the hitch for the folks who are thinking they would part it out.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member
1985 27' Sovereign
Bellevue , Washington
great insight. thank you. I would think that using the "payout minus $15k" math, the thing would be worth about $3k. The sort of "x-factor" I cant figure out is what it would be worth after the fix. I assume since it's a "salvage title", it's basically uninsurable. If I were buying it, that's what I would think about.

I would think the market for the thing would be;
* Folks that want a fix-it themselves inexpensive way into a good sized (and otherwise good shape) airstream
* folks that want to gut it and turn it into a taco stand

I wouldnt think either demographic is inclined to spend wild amounts of money (which is fine.)

The floors and water heater are about 24 months old. Fridge is 5 years. I dont believe it's been taking water but I could be wrong. I've been in it about a dozen times since and havent noticed any issues but I wouldn't bet a paycheck on it either.

Appreciate all the thoughts and input. I'm not trying to fund my retirement. I just want to figure out a reasonable price so I dont look back and go "wow! that was stupid." (like when I turned 3 maple trees into firewood and was told that I could have sold them for $1,000 each.)

thank you again
Old 03-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #9
1973 27' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Surrey , British Columbia
Salvage Mount

Hi. Not sure what it might be worth but likely concur with some of the other folks expressing their opinions. I live up in Vancouver and my retirement hobby is repairing these beauties. Am just finishing a 67 overlander and am looking for a New challenge. When you do come up with a price shoot me a line, I would love to have a look at it. The wife and I could probably make a week end out of it and bring outer 73 down, thanks John M.
oldmanvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
just like renovating a house or a bathroom - estimate your cost to do the project and pretty much add 1/3 on top because there is always more work involved than originally planning + the old "if we are in here doing this why don't we fix that" discussion. We've lived it real time but in the end there is no other trailer that holds their value if they are in good drive-away and use that night shape

kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote