Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I went to my Lowe's looking for a socket recently and it looked like they were getting entirely out of the mechanics tools business... the kobalt displays were virtually barren. Or perhaps they are going to switch lines. Ended up having to go to Home Depot to find the socket i needed.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #42
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The Kobalt display at Lowe's last week was intact in Grand Jct. I bought two needle nose and a lineman's pliers; some were on sale. Maybe they are clearing out. Seems like Lowe's and Home Depot are carrying only one line of anything more and more and I have to go to multiple stores to find what I want. The aisles get more crowded with displays and it is hard to get around. I am more likely to buy online because there is a selection and better prices.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Maybe its taking longer to sell down the Kobalt tools in Grand Junction than here, because i did notice that what tools were left were deeply discounted.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #44
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Who are the remaining US tool makers who might have a kit? Snap-On? Rigid? Craftsman used to be, but not so much anymore. I'm burnt out on imported tools that have more than one moving part. Anvils and hammers seem to be okay imported.
The Cornwell tool truck has a nice set, but at $600, I don't think I'd want to buy it just to leave in the trailer on the off-chance I may need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
We like to bring our anvil collection with us too and keep them in the trailer. A little extra weight, but it is so comforting to have them with us.

Gene
You never know when Wile E Coyote might stop by, and need to borrow one of your spare anvils...
Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
San Diego , California
I think the most versatile tool I've seen used is the six-pack in the hand of the guy coming over to borrow my tools.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #46
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
We like to bring our anvil collection with us too and keep them in the trailer. A little extra weight, but it is so comforting to have them with us.

Gene
especially if you run across a ball pein convention at a campground somewhere.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:59 AM   #47
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I get the dilemma about metric vs. SAE tools. I find though that metric is more versitile. I guess they have smaller increments than SAE tools so they will more often fit both SAE and metric fasteners. I don't think the reverse is true to the same degree. SAE used to have some odd ball sizes ( like 25/32 ) that I found would often work but we don't see them much any more. Six pointed sockets are my choice. I have rounded too many rusty bolts using the 12pts. The tool I seem to need the most is the "ONE" I don't have. So where do you pull the plug on this subject. Maybe I'll just hire a Snap-On truck to follow me.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
I'm picking up my new 2012 FC 25FB next month, and I'm trying to put together a tool box for traveling. One question, does Airstream use metric or SAE nuts, fasteners, etc.?
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
It's American made. Not metric
Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
I got a really nice complete set of tools at Costco for $100 which includes most everything I need excluding power tools. I keep it in my TV so I'll have them whenever I need them. I have separate set of tools in my home, which I prefer so if I'm out and some at home needs a tool I don't have the only set.
Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
My tool kit is pretty complete - similar to many in this thread - but 3 "oddities" not mentioned that have served me well:
  • a 4-way wheel wrench complete with a 4 foot section of pipe to add leverage (no more issues with seized lug nuts - and the pipe is a GREAT fire poker);
  • a single axle stand (UNBELIEVABLE the number of uses this thing has been put to); and,
  • a 1/2 inch closed cell sleeping roll (MUCH more comfortable working under a trailer or truck).

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #52
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Metric or inch? Both. AC good set of ratchet wrenches are indispensable and will have standard and deep sockets in both metric and inch. Regardless of what the Airstream has, other things may be metric including the tow vehicle. I bought an $80 set at Lowe's that has all that and many tips for screwdrivers or drills for the multiple screw styles now used—star drives are getting popular and there a several sizes. The set came in a plastic box and goes on the truck floor behind the front seats and the tool box sits on it.

Gene
Old 07-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
I have rethought my tool box... I'm taking it all with me that I can use without power. Thanks to a few successes on DIY projects thanks to this and other forums. My tools are compact and I have room in the truck!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1968 26' Overlander
Lost Angeles , California
Everything. I have two 8' long toolboxes on the back of my truck, two smaller boxes mounted underneath, one that goes in the cab of my truck with all my hand tools and one canvas carry bag that is baby blue with matching hand tools and gloves for the wife.

I can build you a house or just fix the leak under the sink.

1968 Airstream Overlander
1975 Airstream Sovereign
TV = 1997 Ford F250HD Powerstroke
hartley1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1968 26' Overlander
Lost Angeles , California
WD40, large impact socket for hubs in case bearings need changin'

1968 Airstream Overlander
1975 Airstream Sovereign
TV = 1997 Ford F250HD Powerstroke
hartley1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:38 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Pretty much everything listed above. I have two small carry around tool bags. I have a tool for every job I may encounter. I also have a rivet gun with different size rivets. I keep teflon and electrical tape, glues, batteries, wire, wire nuts, screws and nuts and bolts.

My traveling tools are from old sets, flea markets, and cheap on sale sets.

Brian
Old 07-23-2011, 05:15 AM   #57
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up "The Rabbit"

Most important....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rabbit-houdini-silver2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	135622  
Old 07-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Right on the Rabbit! W. C. Fields had to survive on food and water for several days because someone forgot the corkscrew! Besides the Rabbit, though, I carry the best tools to tighten the hitch and the lug nuts. In my case: two 3/4" box wrenches, a 1-1/8" deep socket on a breaker bar, a 1-1/8" box wrench, a torque wrench with a 3/4" deep socket (6 point) for lugs. The 3/4" socket also fits on the breaker bar for loosening lugs. It took me awhile to get the right tools for the essential tasks. And they're expensive. But you use them every time you move, or should.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:47 AM   #59
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
A Swiss Army Knife. It opens wione bottles too and it much lighter.

Gene
Old 10-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #60
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Smile Smile

Tools Explained
DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh--!'

SKIL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes , trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans.. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

SON-OF-A-BITCH TOOL: (A personal favorite!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a BITCH!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Hope you found this informative.