Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #21
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
you guys with compressors.....electric or gasoline powered?

I've become a big proponent of pneumatic tools over electric tools down here. Air tools are cheap and do well in a caustic environment. I am surprised to see several people here say they carry compressors, though, since they are heavy, and WAY noisy.
12V Electric off the TV Electrical system. The pump was installed for the Rear end air locker. The Tank was a bonus. I ued to carry a 2 Gallon 120V generator driven compressor.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Gringo- I've had interior rivets pop, so I carry a rivet gun and some rivets.

I also carry some butyl tape in case of a leak. It's good for a fast, temporary repair. I've never needed it, but it's good to have.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #23

Currently Looking...
Arroyo Hondo , New Mexico
a lot of questions

60's vs 70's models is there a difference? overlander 26
Thanks for any info
DB
brokarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #24
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Gringo- I've had interior rivets pop, so I carry a rivet gun and some rivets.

I also carry some butyl tape in case of a leak. It's good for a fast, temporary repair. I've never needed it, but it's good to have.
Have you tried the Rescue Tape? Truly impressive silicon tape. Handles steam, solvents, high temp and pressure...

check the specs:
Welcome to Rescue Tape!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #25
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Metalic tape. Great for sealing up seams, holes, etc. Any leak in the Shell.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #26
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Gringo, that rescue tape. Is that the stuff they advertise on TV ??? Does it all. And if you order now we'll double your order ???? I saw that advertised and thought it to be good stuff, where can you find it ?????

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A 1 1/8" socket on a breaker bar ( 6 point) and box wrench. That seems to be the magic size for my hitch bolts. Also for my fuel filter on my Cummins diesel. So 2 for 1.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
Leatherman,duck tape, SS wire and a cell phone... Oh, a few cans of Sea Foam for the TV.
captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Is replacing rivets something I should be prepared to do?
Are you full-timing? I can't really thinking of a situation where replacing a rivet would be an emergency.

I think if a rivet popped out then you could probably wait to replace it until you were home.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
I've been working on this as long as I've had our Airstream. Still haven't figured it all out. I have a list, gleaned from other postings on this same subject on other threads. I figure I should just bring all tools available. Oh, yeah, and the wife, seriously, who else is going to tell me when I've screwed up?

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #31
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Large ratchet wrench set with inch and metric, tool box full of tools, aluminum and duct tape, Woodall's manual on how to fix things, all the info that came with the trailer, grease, bearing packer (I've had a bearing go far from a town), compressor—one that runs off battery and not the cigarette lighter, ladder, window cleaner, paper towels, many sizes of screwdrivers, hammer, mallet, torque wrench, blocks of scrap wood, clothes I can get really dirty, rivet gun and rivets, work gloves, mechanic's wire, washers of various sizes, fuses, tire repair kit, sealant for those inevitable leaks, regular size and giant size channel locks, needle nose pliers, linesmen's pliers, wire striper, electrical tape, magnet, mirror, flashlights—and probably more that I can't remember now. I've thought about bringing a drill and charger, but I had to stop some place.

It's good to have a list of Airstream dealers and Airstream service center number if you need to find out more information.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, way too many items to list so I will just show you a picture of some of the stuff that goes into my Lincoln. I keep it ready, on a hand truck, between trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4436RS.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	133478  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 AM   #33
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I keep mine weeded down to a bare minimum. A fractional socket set, fractional wrench set, adjustable wrench, phillips and slotted screwdrivers, pliers, hammer, wire cutters, rivet gun kit, WD40 and duct tape.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:50 AM   #34
one of those

2011 27 FB International
I'm thinking that some company must offer a pre-packaged automotive or maybe a trucking tool kit that would have most of the essential stuff in a molded case.

I love the molded cases. Keep things from rattling, and in my case, I instantly know which tools I have just lost forever by looking at the empty spots where I forgot to replace them.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:11 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, way too many items to list so I will just show you a picture of some of the stuff that goes into my Lincoln. I keep it ready, on a hand truck, between trips.
I now know why some buy a 1 ton instead of a 3/4 ton.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #36
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I'm thinking that some company must offer a pre-packaged automotive or maybe a trucking tool kit that would have most of the essential stuff in a molded case.

I love the molded cases. Keep things from rattling, and in my case, I instantly know which tools I have just lost forever by looking at the empty spots where I forgot to replace them.
They do. I saw one in Home Depot the last time I was there. IIRC, it was a Kobalt brand.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #37
one of those

2011 27 FB International
I just saw some on the J.C. Whitney site, too, that look good. I personally will never do business with Whitney again in this lifetime, but they gave me some ideas what's out there. I think a fitted case for the tools that come with a kit, that also had room in the bottom of the case for some extras. For example, I consider a soldering iron and multimeter as essential, in addition to a decent set of SAE wrenches that at least go up to 3/4" or so I have to wonder How many metric tools do you really need driving a 'US branded' truck and towing an airstream? I know some appliances and misc. will have metric nuts, but I am thinking that a very small adjustable wrench probably takes care of 90% of the metric sockets that seem to be taking up about half of most kits.

I haven't owned a US truck in six years, though. We're driving vehicles you cannot even import to the USA, so I might be out of touch. Do F-250s use metric bolts?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #38
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I bought a large Kobalt socket set at Lowe's that came in a plastic case. Metric and inch, and both are needed. Lots of deep sockets. It also came with lots of tips for a screwdriver (included) that also fit on my drill. Long gone are the days when one regular and one Philips head tip were all you needed—star drives of various sizes are necessary. The face plate on our converter had star drives and I was glad last week when I replaced the converter I had those tips. I did have to buy a set of extensions for the socket drivers (3 different sizes came with it) as there weren't enough with the set. A good buy for about $75.

A lot of the tools are kept in a cheap Stanley plastic tool box. Not all that sturdy, but lighter than steel.

I just noticed the OP asked what you keep in your trailer—just about nothing. It all goes into the truck.

The best deal I saw for a good compressor was at Costco. Pumps well over 100 psi, attaches to the battery and has an integral pressure gauge. it was about $60. All I could find online were for hundreds. Last time I was at Costco I didn't see it though, but if I were looking for one, that's where I would check. Can"t remember the brand (that's not much help).

Gene
Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #39
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Who are the remaining US tool makers who might have a kit? Snap-On? Rigid? Craftsman used to be, but not so much anymore. I'm burnt out on imported tools that have more than one moving part. Anvils and hammers seem to be okay imported.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #40
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Anvils and hammers seem to be okay imported.
We like to bring our anvil collection with us too and keep them in the trailer. A little extra weight, but it is so comforting to have them with us.

Gene