Old 07-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
daleville , Alabama
What to take???....picking up a 66 in Florida

We'll be leaving early in the morning to pick up the, 66 Landyacht Overlander International that we looked at and purchased last weekend...the tires looked fine but I forgot to look at size to bring a spare this week. Any other suggestions as to what we may need would be appreciated.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Spare bulbs and fuses; you'll want the brake lights and turn signals to work. A small kit of electrical tools in case you need to deal with a damaged umbilical, same reason.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
daleville , Alabama
I must be in the wrong section....I thought I would have list of things to bring and do by now ?
Old 07-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
daleville , Alabama
Thanks for the advice we'll take electric stuff
Old 07-30-2015, 09:22 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would definitely take a spare and a good jack, plus some wheel chocks. If I were pulling it any distance, I would consider pulling the hubs and halfway packing the bearings...By half way, I mean I would pack the front one and use a butter knife to pull grease into the rear bearing from the back side of the hub....Is is as good as a full grease job? No, but it will get you home.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
daleville , Alabama
Thank you CRH.....We thought to take a spare with us but no one has responded to my question as to what size rim or tire. The trailer is located where we can take as long as we want to prep it...so we plan on packing and greasing the bearings.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:20 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoandSusan View Post
I must be in the wrong section....I thought I would have list of things to bring and do by now ?
The list of things you need would either be very short or very long, depending on the condition of the trailer, which is unknown to us.

But in the interest of "Let's not make this any more complicated than it needs to be"…

Basically, at this juncture all you need is the bare minimum to get it roadworthy. Everything else can wait until you get it home. For that you need tires in serviceable condition, brakes, and lights— and greased hubs as CRH said. Anything that is flapping loose on the trailer can be duct-taped in place in lieu of repairs, so bring duct tape.

On a multi-axle trailer, if you have one flat tire you can completely remove the flat tire and still tow the trailer a short distance, say to a tire dealer— hint, do not tow it home on a Sunday when the tire stores are closed. With the flat tire and rim completely removed, the drum will not drag the ground as long as the other tire on that side is still good and you don't hit any major potholes or bumps. So a spare is not essential for this trip.

But you'll need a spare tire eventually even if not right away, so plan your route home so you can stop at a tire store and buy one after you pick up the trailer. With the trailer right there to check dimensions, you should be able to get a tire and rim that fit. And while you're there you can also have the other tires checked. Then the rest of your trip can be made with greater peace of mind.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:57 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
daleville , Alabama
Thank you Protagonist...I think we have it all covered then. Trailer is in as near perfect condition as I have seen on a vintage camper..1966 and 1 owner, stored and never been on the road until it was took out of storage 6 yrs ago and put on a retirement park where the owner (now 91) lived in it for six years..it is absolutely filthy inside but all original and perfect other than 2 scratches on the walnut folding door between the bathroom and the bedroom. Oh and the fibreglass that the toilet sits in has little cracks along the front edge..Thanks again, I feel much better 're the tires
Old 07-31-2015, 12:37 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Cocoa , Florida
Depending on where it is, I'd be happy to go look at it for you... I'm in Cocoa FL.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:55 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Tires will be your main issue , check what shape they are in ,take a nice floor jack with you if you have one . A small battery powered compressor is nice also .and bring plenty of tools you never know what you might need
And get ready to spend lots and lots of money on this project once you get it home and lots and lots of time your free time is over for awhile
Old 07-31-2015, 02:02 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
A flatbed trailer and some good chains or straps to tie it down?

Reduces the amount to worry about..
Tires, brakes, wheel bearings, axles, wiring issues.. all gone.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Make sure you have a 12 Volt electrical test light with you!
Old 07-31-2015, 06:52 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
daleville , Alabama
Talking

On our way back...greased all the bearings and aired all the tires up but one wouldn't hold air and all of them were LTs and not trailer tires 😕. We decided to hook up, check all the exterior lights and pull her too the nearest tire shop which Siri informed us was 2.5 miles away. $367 for 4 new trailers tires inc tax
Old 07-31-2015, 07:01 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Christine , North Dakota
Isn't the current prevailing thought is that LT are better than ST?