Old 02-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Aluminum skin is easily damaged by hail ... rush to an overpass to park under ... or even a tree to mitigate the damage ... in a pinch throw a couple of blankets over the top ...

~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
A few years ago, a hailstorm shattered the a/c shroud and broke through the two plastic vent covers. I replaced those myself. The end caps now wear some small dents that are only apparent in some light conditions. I don't think that anyone but me notices them. I didn't even consider making an insurance claim, as I didn't want to risk a disagreement about the value of my trailer.

robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
My 2009 FC suffered severe hail damage in June of 2012. Probably have over 700 dings on the top, sides, front and rear panels. I didn't personally see the hail size, but watched a local news video that showed about golf ball sized hail hitting the area where my Airstream was stored. I was devastated to see the damage, but the 20K check my insurance company coughed up helped me get over it. I chalked a few seam areas that had popped and replaced my AC shroud and will live with the dents. I have noticed a lot of the dents looked smaller toward the end of last summer. When standing about 20' away, I have a hard time noticing the dents; especially when it has some road dirt on it. I now have an Airstream I still love, but at a much more affordable price. I was quoted 25K to replace the roof, sides, front and end panels.
Doug2009FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
It's not the size of the hail necessarily, but also the wind velocity driving it.

The higher the wind, the more the damage becomes from the same exact sized hail.

Hail damage settlements, other than those exterior items that must be replaced, should always be stated by each individual panel.

In that way, should the same panel be damaged by collision, as an example, then the amount paid for the same panel for hail, can be deducted. That makes an insurance settlement fair for the company as it does for the owner.

Hail damage, or dents from the hail, most of the time, will almost completely disappear in time, simply from the heat of the sun and the coolness of the nights, but only on the roof and sides.

However, since all segments and quarter panels from 1969 to today, are a softer material than the roof and sides of Airstream and Argosy coaches, the hail dents in those sections, will rarely if ever disappear.

Many times I have gone back to the same owners living in "hail alley" year after year. I would show them the photo's of previous hail damage to their coach, that have simply disappeared. Seldom did an owner originally accept that fact, but as time went on, the word got out.

That made my job much easier each additional time that I visited them, for the purpose of settling with them for the new damages.

Should someone decide to replace panels, that were damaged by hail, they should absolutely keep accurate records that they have done so. In that way, should the same coach have another hail loss, a different approach to establishing the loss of value should be taken.

During my Airstream insurance time, I personally settled more than 1,000 hail loss claims, and as many as 24 of them in one day. But hey, I was younger then too.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Columbus , Ohio
Is hail damage just cosmetic or will there be leaks caused hail damage?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Is hail damage just cosmetic or will there be leaks caused hail damage?
Strictly cosmetic.

No leaks in all that damage.
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We have been in two or three storms with hail...nothing over quarter sized...and no damage yet. (whew!)

AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote